Top evolution researchers agree: There is A Creator! The Watchtower is Right!

by mariu 22 Replies latest jw friends

• besty
    besty

" For me, such design simply could not have evolved."

appeal to personal incredulity, much?

• mariu
    mariu

appeal to personal incredulity, much?

That's been their standard line of argumentation since, well, always. It's complex so God must have made it. And it reminds me of one of my favourite quotes:

It is startling to realize how much unbelief is necessary to make belief possible .

--Eric Hoffer, "The True Believer"

Anyway, at least this time they didn't quote an unnamed "renowned scientist" who turns out, on closer inspection, to be a whacky young-earth creationist with a PhD in Divinity from a degree mill in Mexico.

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

Mario--thank you so much for the highly revealing links!! A superficial skim of this article implies this guy is an eminent Ph.D. with acress of original research--NOT!! Likely doesn't even have an undergrad degree. Yet, with their usual fakery, the WT makes it seem otherwise.

It's been said but I'll say it again: The WT refuses to distinguish between abiogenesis (how life began) and evolution (how life spread and changed). The fact of the matter is, figuring out exactly how life began is a tall order, mostly because our earth is a turbulent planet and residual traces are likely gone forever. But that does not matter one bit as to whether evolution happened. The evidence for evolution DOES NOT rely upon figuring out exactly how life began. The evidence instead is diverse, from multiple avenues such as geology, paleontology, genetics, climatology and others, all of which point to exactly the same thing--common descent with modification.

• sir82
    sir82

Priceless - the star "scientist" of their article is really a lab tech!

The WT must just simply hate google!

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

for as much as WT villifies higher education, it never seems to miss an opportunity to highlight stories about "educated" JWs to promote WT rhetoric.

if WT were honest, it either would not print stories about educated JWs or it would denounce them for being educated...

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

appended secret message to HOT dubbie chicks:

How could an organ of delight such as the blackbird (that bears the bell) have evolved like mine?

This guy must know Palestrina!!!!!!

HB

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I wore a lab coat once...

DD

• scotoma
    scotoma

This is so wrong on a couple levels. How dare they take one of their own as proof of anything.

The only thing it proves is that going to the university and studying bio-chemistry, probably getting a bachelor's degree, can get you a pretty good job.

What ever happened to the concept "let those making use of the world shouldn't make use of it to the full".

Let these educated guys quit their jobs so that they don't set a bad example for others.

Let these educated guys get a mop and bucket and pioneer.

How dare they parade out these selected examples and insult the witnesses who sacrificed so much they can't even afford medical care for their families.

Obviously education can't protect you from getting ensnared in a cult.

His argument was also fallacious. It goes like this:

SINCE life is so complex that no one really understands it THEREFORE we really DO understand it and have CONCLUDED that it must have been created by GOD.

I wouldn't let a technician with such poor diagnostic abilities analyze my dogs feces.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

washing the beakers...... a hypothesis came to me...what if a god did it all?

The irony is just yummy. How does he think it is relevant to test drugs on ANIMALS in preparation for their use on HUMANS?

They trace the evolution of the enzymes/proteins/cells they are targeting and test them on a relevant animal. The results have meaning for humans because of our evolutionary relationship.

Antibiotic resistence in evolving viruses and bacteria is THE major issue in pharmacology and medicine right now and yet he is non the wiser.

Lab tech/assistant is literally a caretaker role. Preparing, washing, passing equipment to the qualified or trainee scientist. It is a low pay role that requires NO scientific education or understanding.

The fact the JW's are quoting him says plenty, but there are people in senior positions in science, very few in number, who refute the evidence of their colleagues and choose to deny evolution. I was desperate to meet one and I eventually interviewed one for a paper I wrote on evolution. He contributes to a soon to be published textbook for christians,on biology, made by him and some well known christian texas scientists. When he said who he was working with it was an eye opener to how small this group is.

He was the only tutor (endocrinologist) in our faculty that was anti-evolution. I spent hours talking to him, I had scientific papers to show him and I swear all he did was quote 'evidence' he had seen in a video made by creationist scientists. This guy was supposed to be a scientist! When I asked why he refuted evolution he said "there is a rock face in devon where there is a layer that is unexpectedly layered." This guy is a hormone expert, and this was his zinger. I asked whether not being an expert in geology, this is likely an anomaly they are yet to understand or do and you have not been informed. He agreed. Then he told me there was an anaomaly in squirrel developemnt But couldnt remmebr the exact detail. Then there was girrafes, he quoted me a paper from the 70's that incorrectly said girrafes evolved long necks for food, we now think it was for male domination, they fight with their necks. He repeatedly said the girrafe neck paper was wrong and I repeatedly said it has been redacted and updated...and that was it. He told me that his mother reported that one day as a kid, when he was washing the car, he came in singing a hymn and saying he had seen Jesus. He said he didn't remember, but believed her and now he is saved. My last question was "would you ever accept your colleagues research results over the bible if they contradicted the bible?" He said "no". I recorded the interview, but the next day he asked,very formally, that I delete the recording and refused permission for me to use anything he said In my paper.

snare x

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman

Loads of evolution researchers believe in a creator.... Nothing new here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit