I voted today ...

by BobsGirl 12 Replies latest jw friends

• BobsGirl
    BobsGirl

I have been walking around with a sticker on my chest that announces to the world that I acted on my civic responsibility and voted today. I have to admit that I am feeling a bit vulnerable and fighting the impulse to rip it off. There were two issues on the ballot however that I felt it important to support. This is only the second time that I have voted since becoming registered, but I am beginning to feel the responsibility more and more.

How long do you have to be free of the borg before the tug of war between conscience and fear abates? I have determined to live with integrity, and I am refusing to hide my choices, but the vulnerability of it all really sucks!

BobsGirl

"May the work of your hands be a sign of gratitude and reverence to the human condition." - Mahatma Gandhi

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

Hey, as long as you don't vote for a president. I think the last election proved how worthless a vote actually is. As far as local and state issues I think it is important to vote for those things.

Dear Lord, please save me from your followers.

• dmouse
    dmouse

I remember voting for the first time in a general election a few years ago. It was about ten years after I left. I still felt like a naughty schoolboy stealing sweets from the local shop - my stomach was full of butterflys!

Ain't it sad, the way their corruption stays with you for so long?

Now when I vote I feel really good, at last I'm doing something that might do some good instead of peddling worthless magazines.

• Mimilly
    Mimilly

bobsgirl - good for you honey! I've only voted twice. One was a referendum for Canada on whether Quebec (my birthplace) should separate. (NON!)
    As for how long it takes to shake the borg's indoctrinations - it took me a good ten years. But I believe that's individual.
    I know I'm definitely voting in the next provincial election. The presiding party has GOT to go.

• bchapp
    bchapp
    How long do you have to be free of the borg before the tug of war between conscience and fear abates? I have determined to live with integrity, and I am refusing to hide my choices, but the vulnerability of it all really sucks.

Way to go Bobsgirl! That must have taken a lot of courage. Don't worry that vunerable feeling will fade in time, as you get stronger.

• beckyboop
    beckyboop

Hey Bobsgirl! Congratulations! I have yet to do that, but it's definitely up there on my "to do" list. As far as the feelings of vulnerability, I think that the more we do that is anti-jw teachings, the quicker we will get past those feelings. It just seems like if we are at least taking steps forward, then it's harder for the borg to have a hold on us.

By the way, guess who this is--hint, I live in RI now! I love ya and sorry I missed the b-day party! Hope to see you at C's graduation!

Becky (yes, I realize I just gave it away8>)

• Xander
    Xander

I guess this would be as good a thread as any...

Any more people here vote?

I think it'd help newly free members to see how to register, how the voting process works, etc.

The WTBTS tends to drill fear into people that the voting booths somehow drain your soul out, or have pointy needles with tainted blood on them or something.

IE., that they are an EVIL and SCARY place.

Comments to the contrary build courage.

Xander F
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Ohio order)

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana

• BobsGirl
    BobsGirl

Thanks everyone for your input.

Xander,

I think you have a great idea. For me, registration was simple. I merely filled out the registration card when I renewed my driver’s license. They mailed me a card with my voting precinct location. Fortunately for me it is in a pub within walking distance of my home. The hubby and I can vote and then throw back a couple. Today though I had to run in on my way to work so I couldn't take advantage of the "refreshments" .

Becky,

Love you and miss you. Can't wait to see you this weekend.

Edited because I forgot to say Hi to beckyboop!

BobsGirl

"May the work of your hands be a sign of gratitude and reverence to the human condition." - Mahatma Gandhi

• LDH
    LDH

GSX says:

I think the last election proved how worthless a vote actually is.
    On the contrary, it proved how valuable one vote is. Everyone in Florida who was too lazy to vote watched in horror as 'the other guy' pulled into the lead.

Frequently a small number of votes can turn the tide of any election.

Hopefully, we will find a more efficient way to handle the Presidential Election than the outdated Electoral College system we have now.

And YES I vote. For 5 years. I read the ballot measures thoroughly, and what I don't understand I ask different opinions about.

There are people who die for the right to have their voice heard, and here we are sitting complacent in America. It is a privilege to be heard in government.

I am currently working on an essay called "Why most XJW don't succeed" and it will cover political neophytes as well as those who shy away from 'organizations.'

Bobsgirl, GOOD FOR YOU.

Lisa

• Intuit39
    Intuit39

Hey, grrrrrrrrrrrrl!

Feels good, doesn't it. I love to vote!

Sheesh, and just to think...we weren't 'allowed' to vote for class president or the homecoming queen!

Well, enough of us that are neither DF'd or DA'd are going about our business detached from the borg that maybe they'll realize they are no longer relevant?? Ha!

Now they'll probably start kicking everybody out that doesn't want to play by their ever-changing rules anymore....WAAAAHHHH!! (Bottom lip jutting out 4 inches)

Miss Becky, big brother has your number now....oooh....scared?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit