Do you believe this to be true? 85 people control 50% of the the world's wealth.

by fulltimestudent 18 Replies latest social current

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

mynameislame:

Money is an illusion

No, I think that's not really true. Its a way of expressing a value and probably must exist for us to have a market based economy, otherwise some other means of expressing value would have to be invented. The great era's of historical prosperity have been based on a solid currency that everyone trusted. It was only when a government (think, emperors/kings) started to debase the value of the currency and people stopped trusting the currency, that it became an illusion. When a government starts up the currency printers - that's the time to imagine your money may soon become an illusion.

What does all that money get you? When the wealthy have all the money what are they going to do with it? At some point it becomes worthless.

Smile! Thats the message imprinted in our mind by the Bible. But Yahweh still wanted his temple taxes and Christian churches their contributions, and enough is never enough, even though Ecclesiastes 5:10 (NIV) tells us that:

10 Whoever loves money never has money enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with his income. This too is meaningless.

Curiously, the people who wrote that (the Jews) became an ethnic nation of traders. Of the descendents of the Jews taken into Babylonian captivity, the majority did not return to re-build Jerusalem. They stayed in Babylon and ironically (in view of Eccl. 5:10) became wealthy traders in the huge Asian market.

The blue lines on this map are claimed trading routes of the Radhanite Jewish merchants around 870 CE.

File:Radhanites2.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Radhanites2.png

The activities of these Jewish traders were detailed by ibn Khordadbeh, the Director of Posts and Police (spymaster and postman) for the province of Jibal under the (Muslim) Abbasid Caliph al-Mu'tamid (ruled 869–885), when he wrote Kitab al-Masalik wal-Mamalik (Book of Roads and Kingdoms), probably around 870.

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radhanite

Text of Ibn Khordadbeh's account
    These merchants speak Arabic, Persian, Roman, [5] the Frank, [6] Spanish, and Slav languages. They journey from West to East, from East to West, partly on land, partly by sea. They transport from the West eunuchs, female slaves, boys, brocade, castor, marten and other furs, and swords. They take ship from Firanja(France [7] ), on the Western Sea, and make for Farama (Pelusium). There they load their goods on camel-back and go by land to al-Kolzum (Suez), a distance of twenty-five farsakhs. They embark in the East Sea and sail from al-Kolzum to al-Jar and al-Jeddah, then they go to Sind, India, and China. On their return from China they carry back musk, aloes, camphor, cinnamon, and other products of the Eastern countries to al-Kolzum and bring them back to Farama, where they again embark on the Western Sea. Some make sail for Constantinople to sell their goods to the Romans; others go to the palace of the King of the Franks to place their goods. Sometimes these Jew merchants, when embarking from the land of the Franks, on the Western Sea, make for Antioch (at the head of the Orontes River); thence by land to al-Jabia (al-Hanaya on the bank of the Euphrates), where they arrive after three days’ march. There they embark on the Euphrates and reachBaghdad, whence they sail down the Tigris, to al-Obolla. From al-Obolla they sail for Oman, Sindh, Hind, and China.
    These different journeys can also be made by land. The merchants that start from Spain or France go to Sus al-Aksa (in Morocco) and then to Tangier, whence they walk to Kairouan and the capital of Egypt. Thence they go to ar-Ramla, visit Damascus, al-Kufa, Baghdad, and al-Basra, cross Ahvaz, Fars, Kerman, Sind, Hind, and arrive in China.
    Sometimes, also, they take the route behind Rome and, passing through the country of the Slavs, arrive at Khamlidj, the capital of the Khazars. They embark on theJorjan Sea, arrive at Balkh, betake themselves from there across the Oxus, and continue their journey toward Yurt, Toghuzghuz, and from there to China. [8]

As you see - a very complex web of markets in which they (and others) bought and sold a variety of products of things, including boys and girls (likely for sex) and eunuchs (likely castrated in their own facilities), to be servants.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

abbagail:

Interesting that they used the Communist Clenched-Fist symbol in their graphic.

Look closely - I suggest its not intended to represent a closed fist salute. Its just a representation of a hand holding an object. Oxfam is a NGO that wants to alleviate poverty, its not known (at least to me) as having communist sympathies.

In any case, while the closed fist salute was certainly used by communist revolutionaries, its really a powerful symbol of defiance (or, maybe victory) that is found as early as the Assyrian Empire.

Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raised_fist ) claims that Ishtar, the Assyrian Goddess of Love and War was using the raised (closed) fist in this image. (Note: Not all scholars agree with the interpretation, but it does like a closed fist to me)

So you can re-imagine Byron's poem:

The Assyrian came down like the wolf on the fold,
    And his cohorts were gleaming in purple and gold;
    And the sheen of their spears was like stars on the sea,
    When the blue wave rolls nightly on deep Galilee.

and visualise Sennacharib's cohorts holding their spears aloft in a closed fist as they rode up to the walls of Jerusalem. Well, old Yahwweh won that battle, but I guess the Assyrians had a win also as Yahweh lost the ten tribe kindom of Israel.

Shall we declare a 'draw' in the struggle between Yahweh and Sennacharib

In modern times, many American workers in the early 20th C, who suffered from income disparity in the USA, formed an organisation called 'The Industrial Workers of the World,' and on occasion used the closed fist as a symbol of their defiance against their greedy employers.

File:The hand that will rule the world.jpg

Cartoon published in the Industrial Workers of the World (IWW) journal Solidarity on June 30, 1917. (Reference Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raised_fist )

And this Russian Communist poster from 1922 used it: A Soviet poster dedicated to the 5th anniversary of the October Revolution and IV Congress of the Communist International.

Reference: http://red-patriot.protiv.tv/photo/11-0-143 and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raised_fist

File:CominternIV.jpg

and sometimes used by sportspeople: Semih Erden at the 2010 FIBA World Championship

But the cleverest graphic use is, (IMO) this feminist poster:

WOMANPOWER

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

The oxfam study is very revealing. For the top 1" of the world to control that much wealth is staggering. In the US for example just in post recession (2009 and on), the top 1% of earners have also gotten 95% of the welath generated in this time period. Really? That is amazingly terrible. In addition, 90% of Americans became "poorer" meaning their money went the other direction. The US also has the dubious distinction of having the largest gap in income inequality int he developed world.....and growing.

Bitcoin and these things are not the answer in my mind. A systemic change needs to be made to foster a middle class.

• jgnat
    jgnat

You need a different graph for appropriate comparison. Like these ones:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-06-02/its-1-world-who-owns-what-223-trillion-global-wealth

I do know that high income inequity results in social instability. We must take care of our poorest. But the "solution" is not as simple as giving from the top heap and giving it to the lower. We have to make conditions hopeful and allow people to succeed. That might include multiple strategies such as safe water, transportation and infrastructure, health care, schools, peace, enterprise, mentors, and housing.

Some of our wealthiest also are our biggest givers, spending their fortunes on lifting the world.

http://www.gatesfoundation.org/

http://www.oprah.com/angel_network.html

• NotNew
    NotNew

OK...I believe, Now what?

SW

• jgnat
    jgnat

Invest in an enterprise through www.kiva.org

• Syme
    Syme

It is not just true, it is commonplace.

This is simply the system called Capitalism. If you want to have more than average, another one will have less than average. If you want to be ridiculously rich, lots of other people will have to be extremely poor. Capitalism is the system that ALLOWS you to do this very thing.

And in all this, you have the Watchtower saying that being concerned with the social problems of our planet equals to breach of neutrality. So, guess what? When you stay ''neutral'' in cases of injustice, who is the one to gain profit? The one who imposes injustice.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Even so, at this point it seems like even the poorest people are better off than they were years ago when things were less unbalanced.

It always amazes me when I see the cleaners in my office walking around talking on their $60 a month $2-300 smart phones.

I don't recall when things were less unbalanced than now.

BTW, it is nearly mandatory to have a cell phone now - it is how people communicate. Some people get jobs and business through their cell phones. My son works a FT job and gets calls to repair computers on the side. Working multiple jobs is how some people make ends meet.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Syme, you can break the "I am rich therefore you are poor" balance through efficiency, innovation, and utilizing new resources. Efficiencies such as were brought in by the industrial revolution lifted the prosperity of everybody. Extreme miniaturization (use fewer resources for the same product) and computer networks (efficient information exchange) is also lifting everyone up. The greatest growth in cell-phone use? India and Africa. It's a great democratizer.

Solar Cell Thatched

Ask the Rothschilds if fast, reliable information networks had any influence on their rise to prosperity.

Sure, the free market system creates winners and losers. I ask, though, for a stable society, what is the optimum proportion of winners to losers? Is it 20/80, 10/90 or something else? is it 0.000001 to 9.999999? I would suggest that the more concentrated the wealth, the greater potential for disorder.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit