If you were wrong about the truth, what else?

by ballistic 37 Replies latest jw friends

• TheRedPill
    TheRedPill

At what point, though, does open-mindedness end? Does being open-minded mean that there are no rules to how we live out life? I wonder what we should base the ground rules of our life on. I think everyone agrees that if it doesn't hurt anyone than it is ok. How do you know that if what you believe is ok, or doesn't hurt anyone now, will be viewed as ok in the future? Do we answer to anyone for our actions? Where do you feel that does allowing someone their beliefs crosses the line into "wrong?"

I am reading an interesting book right now called "Shouting Fire" by Alan Dershowitz. He brings out some striking examples of things that were ok in the past that we now view as heinous crimes...e.g. slavery. There was a time when some felt that slavery was not only ok, but that it was good for the slaves themselves, and supported by God and the Bible. No one will say that it is ok now.

I guess I base my belief in God partly on the fact that I believe that we have to answer to someone, at some point, for our actions. I feel that there must be some higher power, "in the know," that is keeping track of how we live our lives.

• ballistic
    ballistic

hmmmmmmmmmm.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hello RedPill,

Good to hear from you.

I am reading an interesting book right now called "Shouting Fire" by Alan Dershowitz. He brings out some striking examples of things that were ok in the past that we now view as heinous crimes...e.g. slavery. There was a time when some felt that slavery was not only ok, but that it was good for the slaves themselves.
    True, but these opinions were generally touted by those at that time who were not aware of the true facts regarding slavery, or those with a vested interest in supporting it.

In England for example, it took a long campaign by Wilberforce and others to present the fact before Parliament in the C18th, but once the horrors of the Trans-Atlantic trade became more public, his defeats in parliament began a trend of reversal.

They may have been ‘ok’ at the time for some, but certainly there have always been those who have fought to overturn what they viewed as ‘heinous crimes’ even within their contemporary setting.

What is fascinating is that right throughout history, cutting across all cultures and belief systems there were those who revolted, both culturally and spiritually, against the norm of the day and seemed form an internal reaction, to buck the trend. Murder and stealing, though very common in history, has always been viewed as a heinous crime by most cultures.

For example, Theodor Mommsen in his ‘History Of Rome’ relates that groups of non-Christian Romans viewed the blood-letting at the Coliseum to which scores of thousands flocked each week, with utter repulsion and actually started ‘protest groups’ to try to persuade people to boycott them.

It seems to me that there is far more commonality of behavior throughout the ages, even among those perceived by others as pagans and barbarians than might be supposed.

Interesting subject - thanks - HS

• TheRedPill
    TheRedPill

Hi Hillary!
    Thank you for the post.

Quote: "What is fascinating is that right throughout history, cutting across all cultures and belief systems there were those who revolted, both culturally and spiritually, against the norm of the day and seemed form an internal reaction, to buck the trend. Murder and stealing, though very common in history, has always been viewed as a heinous crime by most cultures."

I agree that, many times through history, those who were able to think outside the box of what was considered “normal” have helped mankind progress. The point of thinking for yourself, or proving an idea to yourself is very important. Many people on this site obviously believe that thinking outside the JW box was critical to their personal growth.

I may have gotten a little sidetracked with my last post. I was wondering if being “open-minded” is the same as not believing in right or wrong. Does allowing yourself to believe in everything in general, but nothing in particular harm you or hurt you?

• TheRedPill
    TheRedPill

ps -- how do you paste a quote directly from another post?

• garybuss
    garybuss

'

My experience has taught me that I am human and vulnerable to the tricks of a shyster.

Now I am more alert and have developed baloney detectors.

I certainly am skeptical of all claims of a non-human or supernatural nature.

Most of what I learned at home, at school and at church was errant. I kept the multiplication tables and am still re-evaluating all the rest.

It's all a part of growing up for me.

Best to all.

gb

• seedy3
    seedy3

I am with flip, I was not wrong about the "Truth" my parents were and still are. I was given no choice as to what to beleive, I was seldom if ever allowed to be exposed to the so called "False teachings" of the rest of the world.

Seedy

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I was never wrong about the WTS... I didn't like them from day one.

I was born into it, and LEFT.

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• desertflower
    desertflower

Mouthy I feel like you do about people leaving JW then joining another religion. I was a JW for 46 yrs and there
    is a real anger for being so brain wash for so many years. Guess they kept us so buzy we never had time to doubt.
    I believe that we all have a had time believing in God after what we have been thru. I do believe in God and Jesus and hope
    I never quite believing in them.
    Desertflower

• Pardus
    Pardus

I was born into the organization.

It wasn't until I was old enough to really think about the repetitive material I was listening to when I realized the illogical crap I was being force-fed.

I realized what it was doing to my brain, and now I see things for how they really are. I've been trying to find my own path for the last few years.

I really feel for those who have spent decades going to meetings, out in service, etc. For some it probably would have been better to go with the old "ignorance is bliss" instead of finding out what the truth is really about. It's sort of like Neo in the Matrix finding out that the world he knew was just a computer simulation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit