SPIDERMAN..SPIDERMAN..DOES WHAT EVER A SPIDER CAN

by plmkrzy 36 Replies latest social entertainment

• dubla
    dubla

i gave my own short opinion of the film on another thread, but ill add it here.

if you grew up reading spiderman (or any other action comics for that matter), youll absolutely love the movie. as reborn said, it was extremely faithful to the comic. (and yes, with stan lee you expect that, but i wasnt expecting quite the attention to detail when sticking with the origin storyline). watching the building swinging scenes was like reading the comic again. great cimematography, and an awesome cast. william defoe was the best choice for the goblin, and no one couldve been a better fit for peter parker than toby maguire. dunst was good enough to fill the role of the "early" m.j., but m.j. in the comics really evolved into more of a super model sex symbol type. i imagine theyll stick with dunst for the sequels not that they have her locked in.

my only gripe is the modernized green goblin mask. i think rubber wouldve been a better look (creepier)..... and not quite as corny. it worked o.k. though.

i went in with high expectations, and came out surprised to see them surpassed.

aa

• MoeJoJoJo
    MoeJoJoJo

We took the kids to see it yesterday - they loved it.

My JW mother-in-law called this morning to chat and asked what we did over the weekend. I told her about going to the movie and she asked what it was like, after my comment she goes on to tell me that they discussed the movie in field service car group and several decided they weren't going because they heard that the movie portrayed alot of terrorism.
    LOL!

I told her that the kids can tell what's make believe and what's not.

We loved it!!

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

My daughter and her husband saw it on opening day (Friday) and told me it was great. My wife and I were going to go see it on Saturday, but decided to wait due to the crowds. My daughter went to the 7:30 show, and told me that as she was waiting to get in, they announced that the 8:30 and 9:30 shows were already sold out.

Crowded theaters really don't do it for me. I've waited this long to see it, another couple weeks won't make a difference.

Tom

"Gentlemen, he said, I don't need your organization, I've shined your shoes, I've moved your mountains and marked your cards. But Eden is burning"
    --Bob Dylan
  • plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

dubla

"watching the building swinging scenes was like reading the comic again. great cimematography, and an awesome cast."

Ditto

I was wondering how they were going to pull that off and they did a great job. Made me feel like a kid again watching it. lots of fun.

MoeJoJoJo
    TERRORISIM!!!GEEEZZ. But I bet there would be no objection to seeing another Bible story? Still waiting for a happy ending.[8>]

http://ourworld.cs.com/pwmkwzy/PicturePage.html

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

It was good, better than I thought it would be. I agree that Toby Maguire was perfect as the geeky reluctant hero.

I wouldn't say it was extremely close to the comics... in the comics he created a synthetic webbing with mechanical web shooters. In the movie they were organic. He also got his powers from a radioactive spider. In the movie it was just genetcially altered. Nit-picking? I suppose.

I saw a clip on TV with the Director, Sam Raimi. Originally there was a scene where a group of bad guys robbed a bank and got away in a helicopter. Spidey caught the helicopter in a gimongous web strung between the World Trade Center Buildings. Raimi decided to take the scene out.

The crowd was really into the movie, and Spidey being a homespun hero, I think the crowd would have loved it if the WTC towers had kept their cameo in the movie.

They showed a very short clip for The Incredible Hulk, which will air next summer. The audience went wild. They didn't show the Hulk, which is going to be totally computer generated. (So long as it doesn't say "Meesa gonna smash you!") Eric Bana (the heartthrob Ranger from Blackhawk Down) will play Doctor Bruce Banner.

[Edit: LB, you may be interested to hear that Jennifer Connelly co-stars as Banner's love interest Betty Ross]

The comic adaptation I'm probably most looking forward to is next years Daredevil. Daredevil was my favorite comic, growing up. I'm not really enthusiastic about Ben Affleck playing The Man Without Fear, bet we'll see. Jennifer Garner (TV's Alias) will play Elektra--the baddest female character in comics.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

It's great! Go see it.

Something my friends and I used to sing when we were kids:

Spiderman, Spiderman
    Unfriendly neighborhood Spiderman.

Spins a web, any size
    Catches innocent people just like flies.

Oh yeah!
    He’s got radioactive blood!

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Hmmmm
    I was wondering about that clip of the Hulk. They only showed the house bust its insides out a bit while he was inside the house turning into the hulk. Than when the screen flashed "comming simmer 2003" The audience started BOOOOOing. hehe

btw...you are nitpicking!

They just said on the news that "Spiderman" may very well break all records in history for $$$$
    It has already broken the record for most $$$ for one week-end.

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

Booing? Booing?!?

Where I was, the crowd started cheering, even though they never showed the Hulk! (I, however, am far too civilized to cheer ofter a 10-second trailer.)

Hmmm
    (Geeks of the world, unite!)

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

LOL..They were BOOING because they didn't want to wait till summer 2003.
    They were cheering until the date showed up on the screen. I wasn't cheering but I was laughing at the audience. Because it was the last show of the night and the audience consisted of mostly adults. Hardly and one under 20 and some who looked to be over 60.
    LOL

• terafera
    terafera
    but m.j. in the comics really evolved into more of a super model sex symbol type.

Dont all women in comics look like the 'super model sex symbol' type?! LOL!!!

Kirsten Dunst was alright, I couldve imagined someone else playing the role, but she did okay as the 'girl next door' type.

I did a little reading about Spidey and was surprised that Peter Parker had a first love, but she died in a fight between the Goblin and himself. Interesting.....

My hubby knew alot more about Spiderman because he read the comics growing up. I was raised a JW since birth, ('73), so I was never allowed to read those 'violent' type comics. I couldnt read 'Casper the Friendly Ghost', Scooby Doo, X-Men, anything! [8>]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit