Sheparding Call

by DS211 32 Replies latest jw friends

• DS211
    DS211

At the meeting last night i was approached by an elder and he asked me what my schedule was like for the next week or so. I told him im not sure ill have to tet back with him and i asked why and he said kindly but in an odd sort of way "For a visit". My wife and I have not gone out in field service and have been missing meeting left and right mostly due to sickness and family. Im guessing this is a sheparding call asking if we are ok or need anything. BUT i have an inkling they are going to ask me how family study is, how i might be able to go out in FS more, so i can set spiritual goals and gain priviledges in the hall. Our hall has a lot of old people so naturallytheyre pushing for more brothers to do stuff....so wife and i got into a discussion about that and i remained quiet....that didnt go over too well lol as she also pushes me to move forward to gain priviledges...and so i need to work on a game plan to explain to the elders....first ill ask what this visits about and hopefully push it till i get back from vacation.

For family worship i might just read the Bible with wife and kids a little since my doesnt do much bible reading nor personal study....maybe reading it without our WT goggles on will wake her up a bit...since she responded so well to the baptism requirement issue.

As far as that shelarding call i need to steel myself to avoid answering questions without lying but without giving away my position lol.

Anywho thought id share this update and ill add some more when i find out what this SC is all about.

All comments and advice welcome!

DS

• KateWild
    KateWild

As far as that shelarding call i need to steel myself to avoid answering questions without lying but without giving away my position lol.-DS

If you are asked anything that you want to be kept private, then lie mate. You can attempt to say I am afraid I would like to keep that confidential, but just lie and say you are depressed and leaving the matter with Jehovah.

In fact what you are doing is trying to divise a way to wake your wife up to this whole scam. They lie to you, just lie to them if you have to DS. Kate xx

• 88JM
    88JM

If you do need an excuse for something, just say you're stressed or finding it hard to keep up with everything

• DS211
    DS211

i think depressed/stressed is the way to go. And saying that ive never been deperessed in my life until this point so im having difficulty.

My wife will spot a lie in seconds. And unfortunately she isnt afraid to contradict what i say....She kind of just reacts quickly without realizing it lol.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Im guessing this is a sheparding call asking if we are ok or need anything

---

Odds are it is not for this reason. I know there are good elders out there, but they are few and far between. "Shepherding" calls are usually nothing more than an inquisition and an effort to get you back into Watchtower mode. The elders usually don't care if you are okay or need anything.

You want to know what someone does who REALLY cares about you? They invite you out for a meal, a cup of coffee, they call you, etc.- they don't need an official "Shepherding Call" to show "concern"...they just show concern... that's what a friend does. Elders do things differently...

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

It probably is the result of last week's WT study where it said to call & encourage inactive publishers.

Doc

• DS211
    DS211

Cheers ADCMS! Agreed! Well lets put the pieces together:

I raised my doubts a year ago to elders about 1975

Since then im sure my attitude/behaviour according to them has changed without my control

Wife and i miss a ton of meetings and our home bible study with an elder

theyve encouraged us before about fam worship/service/etc

so im sure im on theiir radar....lol

oops.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

You could say, " I'll get back to you on that...." [crickets....] Repeat as needed. They will eventually get tired. You will be considered spiritually weak and they will move on to someone else. The Elders NEED validation from others. They NEED to be the "stars" of Revelation. They NEED to be the " 8 Dukes!" They NEED to be loved and respected for all that they do [all that they THINK they need to do] for the sheep. When they don't get that from you, they will move on.

DD

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

" You want to know what someone does who REALLY cares about you? They invite you out for a meal, a cup of coffee, they call you, etc.- they don't need an official "Shepherding Call" to show "concern"...they just show concern... that's what a friend does. Elders do things differently."

AMEN!! They just want to re-adjust your thinking. A person who cares about you doesn't ignore you until the C.O comes around. I have 1 Elder that calls me on a regular basis. We have been real friends for years, way before he ever got appointed. After my inquisition with the Eldubs, I got ZERO calls for an entire year. Year number 2, I received one call from a nice Eldub who got steam-rolled by the others. Lately, I get one text from the Eldub who led the inquisition. He just wants my service time.

He is a real piece of work. During the horrendous " Jehovah's Will" book study he commented during the chapter about Ministerial Servants. It was so encouraging for all the older brothers who have health issues and are doing their best, and for those working just to make ends meet. He said, " If anyone in the KH wonders why someone is not an MS, it's because they don't qualify." WOW, just like Jesus would have done!

DD

• Syme
    Syme

If the elder wants to just *encourage* you and not question you, then why doesn't he come alone?

2 elders together means questioning. If there are 2 elders, they are 2 witnesses, in case you say something incriminating. You don't have to go through this. You are not 'obliged', you're no criminal, and they are no police!

Ask him to be visited by only 1 elder, or by an elder and a MS or a plain publisher. Will he accept it? If not, why??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit