The only thing in this world we have complete unquestionable control over is our own mind, and our own thoughts, and how we choose to frame (or think about) things.

by RunAsFastAsYouCan 22 Replies latest jw friends

• BluePill2
    BluePill2

Controlling thoughts is like running after Butterflies and trying to catch them. The mind continously "plays" thoughts and throws images at you - that is what it does best. Like your stomach juices flowing around. The only success I ever had to find something close to a "calm mind" is to allow the thoughts, to accept them and just stop caring what they are, mean or where they come from. Then I try to observe my mind and guess what the next thought will be or just trying to observe the "confusion" and suddenly it becomes still and quiet. It's like if the mind doesn't like to be observed and stops, waiting for "you" to look away again and start its job again. Strange and interesting experiment.

Something like looking at the sky and seeing clouds, birds passing by without being able to control them. Just let it be.

But I get your point OP. We cannot influence our surroundings (or at least that is what my conclusion is...so far).

• jgnat
    jgnat

Just because we aren't in complete control does not mean we can't influence our environment. I do all the time, say, by putting out a new potted plant.

I would describe the wild ride that is life as being in a dinghy on the ocean. I can't control the wind and waves but I have a sail, I have a rudder, and an anchor (hopefully with a backup).

• steve2
    steve2

Jgnat, well said.! Just because we humans cannot control everything, does not mean we cannot control some things. From my view, if I can control the way I express my emotions (rather than let them control me) , I am able to live a life that is more consistent with my values and beliefs. But to keep things in perspective, time and unforseen events remind us of our limitations.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit