What Armageddon is the book of Revelation refering to?

by Vienna Angelika 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vienna Angelika
    Vienna Angelika

Someone asked me what Revelation was talking about when it mentions Armageddon. If it's not like Witnesses say, then what is it, and when? I would really appreciate some info on this as I have not seen too much on this subject.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

One tidbit to get you started on your quest.....Compare what happens at the end of the 1,000 year reign with the entire chapters of Ez 38 and 39. What is interesting is that the society seems to say Ez 38/39 represent JW's and that happens just around the corner, then after that, after 1,000 years, are the events of the end of the 1,000 year reign in Revelation. But to me both seem to be talking about the same identical event.

Also it's interesting how in the Ezekiel version, the Israelites are NOT serving God when he returns. And how they were scattered then regrouped as a nation. Paul even talked about the olive tree, how Israelites were temporarily blinded until all the gentiles come in.

Anyway, if you get into looking that stuff up, it'll open more doors and you'll learn how little the JW's know.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Consider this analysis here, and here.

And discussion of it on this post.

• Over%forme
    Over%forme

King James Rev.16:16 "And he gathered them together

into a "place"in the Hebrew tongue called Armageddon."

Sounds like a place not a War. And just my opinion,it has

already happened. The chapter goes on to talk about

Babylon the Great (the one that fell in 539) not the one

WTBTS made up.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

It was the invisible Armageddon of 1918 when Rutherford and his 'boys' went to prison. You know, right after the invisible presence of Jesus in1914. Can't argue with something that's invisible.

Just saying!

eyeuse2badub

• FrankieGoesToHollywood
    FrankieGoesToHollywood

Since Revelation is presented in signs, my bet is that Armag. is a spiritual war. Highly unlikely that Jesus, the prince of peace, and his holy ones would indulge in carnal warfare.

Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ [a] has become a child of God. And everyone who loves the Father loves his children, too. 2 We know we love God’s children if we love God and obey his commandments. 3 Loving God means keeping his commandments, and his commandments are not burdensome. 4 For every child of God defeats this evil world, and we achieve this victory through our faith. 5 And who can win this battle against the world? Only those who believe that Jesus is the Son of God. -1John 5:1-5

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

End_of_Mysteries: Also it's interesting how in the Ezekiel version, the Israelites are NOT serving God when he returns. And how they were scattered then regrouped as a nation. Paul even talked about the olive tree, how Israelites were temporarily blinded until all the gentiles come in.

ARMAGEDDON is all about the final battle during which Christ comes and converts the Jewish nation. As EoM notes above, Ezekiel teaches that Judah is not serving God when Yahweh, or Christ, returns.

It’s a complex prophecy, or set of prophecies, that basically goes like this. Judah is scattered to the four corners of the earth after Jerusalem is destroyed in about 76 A.D. During the end times, the Lord brings them back and establishes them as a nation. But instead of repenting, they become just as wicked as other nations. John, in fact, compares them with Sodom and Egypt.

Somewhere along the line, a kingdom arises in the Old World — a kingdom which was, is not, and is again. Many have taken that to mean Rome, but more recently scholars have come to believe it will be a revitalized Turkish Caliphate. This kingdom will unite the Muslim world and, once the United States is out of the way as a world power, it will bring a ruinous war against the Jews. (See Zech. 12-14; Ezek. 38-39; Revelation 11, 16) During the battle, the Lord will preserve the city by raising up two prophets who, like Elijah and Moses, will use the power of God against the “beast” (also known as “Gog”). After three years, however, the enemy will succeed in killing the prophets (and I’ve always suspected it will be through treachery by Jewish elements). John says their bodies will lay on the streets of Jerusalem for three and a half days, during which the beast will declare a holiday. But at the end of that time, the two prophets will be physically resurrected, then, in the plain sight of their enemies, ascend into heaven. Meanwhile, the remaining body of the Jews will be gathered in the eastern part of the city. At this moment, the prophets say, there will be a great earthquake. The Mount of Olives will split in twain and their Messiah will make his appearance.

Now Zechariah is very plain in saying that the Messiah will be Yahweh, the Lord their God, and that he will appear and all his saints with him. Because no man can see God and live unless protected by the power of the Holy Spirit, the Jews will behold him as a man; however, his glory, and that of his accompanying saints (or “holy ones”) will instantly destroy Gog and his entire army, except for one-sixth, and they will flee westwards towards the sea. Why aren’t they killed? The prophets don’t say, but I suspect they will be honorable men, perhaps conscripts into Gog’s army throug And I will turn thee back, and leave but the sixth part of thee, and will cause thee to come up from the north parts, and will bring thee upon the mountains of Israel.... (Zech. 39:2)

When the Jews fall at the feet of their Messiah and God, they will see the wounds in his hands and feet, and they will ask about them. Zechariah reports that the Lord will say, “These are the wounds I received in the house of my friends.” Then the Jews will suddenly realize that the one standing before them is Jesus, whom their fathers crucified. Then, the prophets say, there will be a spirit of mourning and of lamentation throughout Jerusalem. The Jews will, on the one hand, rejoice in their salvation; however, on the other they will be stricken with the realization that the Christians were right:

In that day shall there be a great mourning in Jerusalem, as the mourning of Hadadrimmon in the valley of Megiddon. And the land shall mourn, every family apart; the family of the house of David apart, and their wives apart; the family of the house of Nathan apart, and their wives apart.... (Zech. 12:11-12)

Zechariah writes:

And the Lord my God shall come, and all the saints with thee. And it shall come to pass in that day, that the light shall not be clear, nor dark: but it shall be one day which shall be known to the Lord, not day, nor night: but it shall come to pass, that at evening time it shall be light. And it shall be in that day, that living waters shall go out from Jerusalem; half of them toward the former sea, and half of them toward the hinder sea: in summer and in winter shall it be. And the Lord shall be king over all the earth in that day, and there shall there be one Lord, and his name one. (Zech. 14)

Then, at that point, he’ll destroy everyone but the Jehovah’s Witnesses. But the prophets don’t actually say that...or imply it. But the Governing Body has declared it as the result of new light.

When will all these things happen? No one knows for sure. The Jews have to build their temple, which John was commanded to measure with a rod (see Revelation 11). But one thing we know for sure. It’s right around the corner.

Seriously, if you read the scriptures cited and then read the red book on Revelation published by the WTS, you’ll see that the Governing Body has really pulled one over on the Organization. Of particular interest is its interpretation of the two prophets.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit