A few words about God.

by Etude 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Etude
    Etude

"It is an insult to God to believe in God. For on the one hand it is to suppose that he has perpetrated acts of incalculable cruelty. On the other hand, it is to suppose that he has perversely given his human creatures an instrument—their intellect—which must inevitably lead them, if they are dispassionate and honest, to deny his existence. It is tempting to conclude that if he exists, it is the atheists and agnostics that he loves best, among those with any pretensions to education. For they are the ones who have taken him most seriously." Galen Strawson (b. 1952), British philosopher, literary critic. Quoted in: Independent (London, 24 June 1990).

"With God, what is terrible is that one never knows whether it’s not just a trick of the devil." Jean Anouilh (1910–87), French playwright. The Archbishop, in The Lark.

"If we really think about it, God exists for any single individual who puts his trust in Him, not for the whole of humanity, with its laws, its organizations, and its violence. Humanity is the demon which God does not succeed in destroying." Salvatore Satta (1902–75), Italian jurist, novelist. The Day of Judgment, ch. 15 (1979).

"To place oneself in the position of God is painful: being God is equivalent to being tortured. For being God means that one is in harmony with all that is, including the worst. The existence of the worst evils is unimaginable unless God willed them." Georges Bataille (1897–1962), French novelist, critic. “Bataille, Feydeau and God,” interview with Marguerite Duras in France-Observateur (1957; repr. in Duras, Outside: Selected Writings, 1984).

"If you talk to God, you are praying; if God talks to you, you have schizophrenia." Thomas Szasz (b. 1920), U.S. psychiatrist. The Second Sin, "Schizophrenia" (1973).

"God will provide—ah, if only He would till He does!" Yiddish Proverb.

"If God lived on earth, people would break his windows." Jewish Proverb. Quoted in: Claud Cockburn, Cockburn Sums Up, epigraph (1981).

"I find it interesting that the meanest life, the poorest existence, is attributed to God’s will, but as human beings become more affluent, as their living standard and style begin to ascend the material scale, God descends the scale of responsibility at a commensurate speed." Maya Angelou (b. 1928), U.S. author. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, vol. 1, ch. 18 (1969).

"It is only the impossible that is possible for God. He has given over the possible to the mechanics of matter and the autonomy of his creatures." Simone Weil (1909–43), French philosopher, mystic. “A War of Religions” (written 1943; published in Selected Essays, ed. by Richard Rees, 1962).

"The dice of God are always loaded." Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803–82), U.S. essayist, poet, philosopher. Essays, “Compensation” (First Series, 1841).

"God is indeed dead.
    He died of self-horror
    when He saw the creature He had made
    in His own image."

Irving Layton (b. 1912), Canadian poet. The Whole Bloody Bird, “Aphs” (1969).

"Forgive, O Lord, my little jokes on Thee
    And I’ll forgive Thy great big one on me."

Robert Frost (1874–1963), U.S. poet. Cluster of Faith.

"I admit that the generation which produced Stalin, Auschwitz and Hiroshima will take some beating; but the radical and universal consciousness of the death of God is still ahead of us; perhaps we shall have to colonize the stars before it is finally borne in upon us that God is not out there." R. J. Hollingdale (b. 1930), British author, critic, translator. Thomas Mann: A Critical Study, ch. 8 (1971).

"If God wants us to do a thing, he should make his wishes sufficiently clear. Sensible people will wait till he has done this before paying much attention to him." Samuel Butler (1835–1902), English author. Samuel Butler’s Notebooks (1951, p. 116).

"Man appoints, and God disappoints." Miguel de Cervantes (1547–1616), Spanish writer. Sancho Panza, in Don Quixote, pt. 2, bk. 6, ch. 22 (1615; tr. by P. Motteux). [That is a clever twist on the old saying: “Man proposes and God disposes”.]

"If God is male, then male is God. The divine patriarch castrates women as long as he is allowed to live on in the human imagination." Mary Daly (b. 1928), U.S. educator, writer, theologian. Beyond God the Father, ch. 1 (1973).

"God is the immemorial refuge of the incompetent, the helpless, the miserable. They find not only sanctuary in His arms, but also a kind of superiority, soothing to their macerated egos: He will set them above their betters." H. L. Mencken (1880–1956), U.S. journalist. Minority Report: H. L. Mencken’s Notebooks, no. 35 (1956).

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

Well if he's real, he's an asshole. His own book proves him as one.

• Perry
    Perry

So sad. I love God more and more each day. My life could not be better since ditching religion and becoming identified solely with Jesus.

God is Love.

• Etude
    Etude

Captain Obvious

I'm holding my belly laughing because of your comment and while at the same time realizing how true your statement is on it's face. If God was a real person, he certainly would have a credibility problem with me and I would be up in his face (while fearing he'd turn me into some sort of disgusting lower life form). I'd still do it. Goddammit, I want answers and he's been confusing the crap out of everyone for millennia.

Perry

I make a strong distinction between the sense of spirituality that many people experience and which seems to be anthropologically universal. Unfortunately, many people confuse that with religion or with some sort of supreme entity. They are not the same. While I respect your feelings, I'd welcome them more if they were accurately guided and not founded on the belief system that cannot reasonably be sustained, no matter how hopeful they are.

• Perry
    Perry

It's not spirituality.... its identification. Since I literally gave my life to Christ Alone...everything changed in my life for the better. Once I dealt with the lie of autonomy, I realized I'd always be a slave to something or someone.

One "free man" works all day for a loaf of bread. One slave does not get paid but shares, uses , distributes, does business with all of a Kings wealth, riches and authority and is rewarded with more authority, riches, investments, etc. according to his skill. He can't get fired. He lives in the lap of luxury while administering the King's business interests. The King loves him.

Which one is more "free"?

• Saved_JW
    Saved_JW

Hello everybody,

Sorry about the late introduction. I have been on this site for the better part of 3 years and have been watching the threads. I am a 4th generation Jehovah's Witness and have left in 2009. During that time I have come to faith in Jesus. Unlike the Watchtower who tells you WHAT to believe, I found it very important to know WHY I believe it.

This thread was particularly interesting to me since it deals with the moral aspect of Gods existence. I would like to flesh out this a little more. Perhaps get some more details from Captian Obvious from this comment:

"If God was a real person, he certainly would have a credibility problem with me and I would be up in his face (while fearing he'd turn me into some sort of disgusting lower life form). I'd still do it. Goddammit, I want answers and he's been confusing the crap out of everyone for millennia." What is your position exactly?

1- God isnt real
    2- God is real but I have a credibility problem with him?
    3- I dont know if God is real but even if He was he is not credible?

• Watkins
    Watkins

Welcome to JWN, Saved_JW!

My position, exactly, is this: God is real. The credibility problem I have is not with Him, but with everyone who have, for millenia, claimed to know Him best.

W~

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Perry "So sad. I love God more and more each day."

Don't be sad, connect with reality.

• sir82
    sir82

One "free man" works all day for a loaf of bread. One slave does not get paid but shares, uses , distributes, does business with all of a Kings wealth, riches and authority and is rewarded with more authority, riches, investments, etc. according to his skill. He can't get fired. He lives in the lap of luxury while administering the King's business interests. The King loves him.

Which one is more "free"?

Curiously, I recall the Soviet communists using a similar argument.

I recall this because when I was in high school (yea these many decades ago) we had an exchange student from Bulgaria or Romania or some such Soviet satellite. In her spare time she'd try to convince all of us imperialistic pigs of the superiority of her way of life.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Perry; My life could not be better since ditching religion and becoming identified solely with Jesus.

Okay Perry, how did you get to know Jesus without religion? All that's left is the Bible alone, is THAT what you used or are you going down the Tammy route of hearing your Lords voice in your ear?

These are rhetorical questions, I've been reading your posts for the more than 12 years you've been here and you haven't budged one smegging inch . . .

You aren't free at all Perry, you're a prisoner of your own making.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit