Awake October 8 1972 False Alarm About "Peace and Security"

by scotoma 10 Replies latest jw friends

• scotoma
    scotoma

The Watchtower study yesterday made it clear that the cry of Peace and Security has not occurred yet.

What they don't mention is their false alarm that they falsely pointed to events in 1972 as the cry of Peace and Security. That was 42 years ago.

They did this with a special Awake in October of 1972. They devoted the full issue to the subject. It rivals the infamous "Is It Later Than You Think" special Awake of October 8 1968 in its grandiose predictions.

The October 8 issue of Awake 1972 is must reading in view of the latest discussion of peace and security.

Here are a few exerpts with the grandiose statements in Red. It makes you wonder if they will ever have the nerve again to try to identify the "Peace and Security" declaration.

Why Hopes Grow for a “Generation of Peace”

STRANGE events are taking place in our time. And their true significance goes much deeper
    than their surface appearance.

No doubt you are aware of the surprising series of world changes that have happened in the short
    span of less than a year.

Something New Developing?

The dramatic moves by the United States, China and the Soviet Union toward what the French
    call rapprochement (a coming together in cordial relations) have stirred worldwide comment.
    Voices are heard in many nations expressing hope that something new may indeed be developing
    on a world scale.

But why view these moves toward ensuring international peace and security as anything different
    from past efforts? What is unusual?

So where does the current peace effort differ from these?

Where the Difference Lies

First, unlike the League and the U.N., this peace drive has not come in the heat of global conflict
    nor in the immediate aftermath of global war, with the horrors of such slaughter fresh in mind as
    a moving force. This peace move is being pushed in a time of relative peace to ‘defuse’ the
    potentially explosive circumstances that could trigger all-out nuclear war.

This means, too, that it is not a case of victorious nations imposing their own peace arrangement
    on defeated and weakened foes unable to offer effective opposition. This, in fact, is what has
    caused many to express amazement over the recent developments.

There is, however, an even more distinctive factor about these peace movements, one with a
    significance few realize. What is this largely unnoticed but significant factor?

It has to do with religion.

A Surprising Reversal

THE U.S. overtures to Peking and Moscow were remarkable in themselves. But an even more
    astonishing change had already preceded this. What?

Think back just a decade or two in the past. Do you remember how, throughout the Western
    world, Communism was regularly and violently being condemned as “godless, atheistic
    Bolshevism”?

Who were the chief sources of this denunciation? It was the churches of Christendom,
    particularly those of the West. Yet a surprising reversal has taken place. To appreciate how big
    the change has been, consider this:

Religious “Cold War” Against Communism

In their “Declaration of Principles” both countries agreed that “differences in ideology and in the
    social systems [which, of course, includes religious systems and attitudes] . . . are not obstacles to
    the bilateral development of normal relations.”

What seemed to be mountainous barriers appear to have been hurdled. Attention now focuses on
    a “European Security Conference,” agreed upon by the world powers for 1973. And the French
    newspaper Le Monde (June 25-26, 1972) quotes Monsignor Casaroli, head of Vatican
    diplomacy, as saying that “the Vatican proposes to participate” and is already recommending
    what the agenda should embrace, including a balanced reduction of the NATO and Warsaw Pact
    armed forces.

What will the coming months bring? Is what we have seen been just ‘run-of-the-mill’ political
    maneuvering, mere ‘window dressing,’ or is something big in the making? There is reason to
    believe the latter is the case.

Why Such a Peace Effort Now?

NINETEEN hundred years ago Bible prophecy foretold a time when men would be proclaiming,
    “Peace and security!” That prophecy seems to be rapidly nearing its fulfillment.

The reasons, then, why men should make an all-out effort for world peace and security are many
    and very powerful. There is evidence that they will bring matters to a point soon where the cry of
    “Peace and security” becomes the slogan of the day!

But the big question is: Will it last?

We can know the answer to that question, now.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Scotoma:

Thanks for the info. Linked here for reference.

Take Care

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

thank you for this reminder.

interesting how they played on the fear of ''all out nuclear war'' which was quite common at that time.

funny but i'd forgotten all of that. their prohesies really dont stand the test of time.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The US State Department plays no role. They don't even mention The Council on Foreign Relations. I doubt historians see a religious component to detente.

I am curious whether other churches fashion the same world view. Their take on current events would mess me up at school.

• scotoma
    scotoma

Consider this:

Peace in Israel has been an issue since the UN pushed the Palestinians out of the way to make room for Israel. It is ironic that an organization meant to end war set the stage for one of the most chronic cases of endless conflict with international consequences.

It now looks like a comprehensive peace between Israel and Palestine will be accomplished. It has a high priority. Peace will be achieved because Israels main benefactor - the United States can't afford Israel anymore especially the consequences and distraction of international terrorism. The United States is entering a period where they don't need a base of operations to protect the oil in the middle east. There is no longer a benefit for the costs. Europe still needs mid-east oil so they would also like the conflict there to end.

The stated goal of the negotiators is to achieve their goal in April of this year.

So, let's say they obtain a peace agreement of historical significance in Israel in the month of April.

Maybe in time to precede the memorial on April 14

There is an eclipse of the moon on memorial this year. That will be a blood moon which historically is associated with war. Memorial of 2015 will be another blood moon.

Add this into the picture. Titus began his final assault on Jerusalem on Passover 70 Ad. The passover in 70 AD was also on April 14 and there was an eclipse of the moon on that occasion.

Kind of creepy.

• scotoma
    scotoma

I just noticed my previous post was post 666.

It just shows how conspiracy theories and intrigue can take on a life of its own.

My prediction for the record is that nothing is going to happen.

Just want to freak out a few omen-eers.

Or maybe I'm a time traveler leaving an internet hint.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/01/10/time-travel-on-internet-twitter/

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

"There is an eclipse of the moon on memorial this year. That will be a blood moon which historically is associated with war. Memorial of 2015 will be another blood moon.

Add this into the picture. Titus began his final assault on Jerusalem on Passover 70 Ad. The passover in 70 AD was also on April 14 and there was an eclipse of the moon on that occasion.

Kind of creepy."

It's funny that you mention that. It is a little creepy, and I still got scared reading it, even though I know the WTBTS has been grasping at straws for 100 years. That's what happens to children who grow up as JWs.

• I quit!
    I quit!

If I remember correctly there was also some sort of peace and securtity book that came out around that time and also some last minute (just before the end of the world) special tract work being carried out in earnest at that time. And here we are forty plus years later.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

If I remember correctly there was also some sort of peace and securtity book that came out

"True Peace and Security - How Can You Find It?" (1986)

"Worldwide Security Under the Prince of Peace" (1986) (Gave my first public talk from this book.)

Good memory to recall these. It does look like these were timed for the occasion. But I don't remember picking up on that at the time.

Take Care

• scotoma
    scotoma

QUIT:

Interesting that you brought that book up. Actually there were two books with this theme. The first one "Peace and Security" came out in 1973 on the heels of their 1972 presumption that the world was on the verge of declaring peace and security. In fact they refer to what they felt was significant to them:

"World leaders today are confidently foretelling the entry of a ‘new era’ in world history. They say that the threat of global war and nuclear destruction is past. Why? Because, they declare, a dramatic change in relations between the world’s great powers is bringing in a time of peace and security such as the world has never seen. In January of 1973 a prominent statesman said: “We have made a breakthrough toward creating in the world what the world has not known before—a structure of peace that can last, not merely for our time, but for generations to come.” Paragraph 3 Chapter 1

No Peace. No sudden destruction. Then 13 years later they came out with almost the same book only this one they called TRUE Peace and Security. I suppose this is contrast to the earlier book which turned out to actually be FALSE Peace and Security.This version replaced the old anouncement of peace and security with the latest flavor in the same paragraph 3 Chapter 1.

"An interesting Bible prophecy stated that the time would come when world leaders would actually proclaim “peace and security!” In fact, when the United Nations declared 1986 an “International Year of Peace” it asked that organizations everywhere make a special effort from that year on to promote the goal of “peace, international security and cooperation.”

That declaration wasn't followed by destruction and we are now 27 years from that dud of a prediction.

All of this calls into question how Holy Spirit is supposed to function. If the organization is directed by "Holy Spirit" why do imperfect men always overide that direction by jumping the gun?

They would apologetically say "Some, including writers of Watchtower publications, made mistakes".

If there really were some predicted peace and security would the Watchtower get it right? Or at this point have they used up all their bullets?

"For truly, if the trumpet sounds an indistinct call*, who will get ready for battle?"

*indistinct: not clear or sharply defined. synonyms: blurred, out of focus, fuzzy, hazy misty, foggy, cloudy, shadow, dim , nebulous

They could use a little better light.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit