Dissolving a congregation?

by bornintoit 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I heard of one that was dissolved in the U.K Our new (then) C.O told me about it. Apparently he was on his very first visit on his own to a Congo. having been trained as a C.O and gone on visits with an existing C.O to other Congos.

He uncovered a terrible scandal, and discovered that every Elder on the body had covered it up ! I do not know what the scandal was.

He removed the whole B.O.E. The congregation then moved to another location, and apparently did well, according to this C.O, he had removed any possibility of accusations against the innocent congregation members.

The other one I know of is where a really power hungry family ruled a local Congo, dissolved and merged.

The funny one was where a Congo about 20 miles from me was split in to two, one half did fairly well, the other half spiralled down to next to nothing, within 2 years it was one Congo again. Still is I think.

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

I've heard that there was a directive from the WTBTS to get the board members of the local KH Corporation to modify the by laws that allowed the WTBTS to assume ownership of the assets like building etc in case of the dissolvement of the congregation. It was being ram rodded by the CO when he made his visits and thought that I had seen a youtube video about this in the past but cannot find it now. Any information on this?

NJY

• kaik
    kaik

I am not sure how is it in USA or elsewhere, but in my native E. Europe country the KH was a property of the local branch, but funded by members of the congregation. When I look into property tax register, the ownership is the branch office. The KH around E Europe have been in process of closing, merging, or dissolving. I remember that in the post 1975 some congregation had dissolved. But this was in time when they were underground so arrest of elder, or death would affect the local community.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

If it was in Brooklyn, probably because the majority of members were Brooklyn bethelites, they shut down brooklyn, sell it, and they all go home, so nobody left in the congregation.

• blondie
    blondie

In the US the congregation that holds the territory the KH is on, is set up as a non-profit religious corporation with 3 elders in that congregation acting as trustees. They don't own the KH but administer things based on the IRS rules. The WTS must dissolve that congregation in order to take over the trusteeship following IRS rules.

http://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-Profits/Churches-&-Religious-Organizations

• minimus
    minimus

could be internal elder issues

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit