The Apostle Paul was taught a Myth !! not the "Truth".

by Phizzy 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The exact chronology of Paul's Damascene experience cannot be firmly established, but certainly a number of years had passed since the death of Jesus. Perhaps only three or four years, maybe more. We do not have an accurate history of this time.

But, it is evident that by the time Paul was converted a Cult of Jesus was flourishing within Judaism, hence his opposition, as it seemed very subversive to his Pharisee mind.

What was this cult built upon ? Myth and Legend.

Much like the myths that grew up around other contempory figures, Apollonius of Tyana is one I often quote, these legends contained a resurrection myth, stories of miracles and of unearthly powers of perception and prophecy.

This is what Paul was taught when he contacted members of the cult. Myth and Legend, not solid facts.

So, his own faith was based on the brain fart(s) he experienced, and baseless stories he was told, and yet the Christian religions we see today, over 2000, of them are based upon the thoughts of this man.

Not a good foundation.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Let's hope that in 1000 years time the people (if man has survived), don't take Pastafarianism too seriously.

• ed60
    ed60

Virtually everything the extremely conservative Paul wrote was a dig at the Epicureans, much of it slanderous.

For details have a look at http://newepicurean.com/st-paul-vs-epicurus/

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thanks for the link ed !

I have only speed-read a bit of the book, looks good ! but I came across this gem, not from Epicuros, but from a critic of certain Preachers around the time of Paul : "

"why is it a demerit to have received an education and to be intelligent and to be thought so? Why should this disqualify one from arriving at a knowledge of God? Why should it not rather be a prerequisite and something by virtue of which a man might better arrive at a grasp of the truth? But what we actually see is this, that those who collect an audience and ventilate the wildest ideas in the market places will never go near a group of intelligent men nor drum up their courage to air their doctrines in the presence of such; but whenever they espy some teen-age lads or a bevy of household slaves or a throng of empty-headed individuals, there the push their way in and strut their stuff."

Who does that remind you of ?

• CaptainSchmideo
  • Bobcat
    Bobcat

Punk:

Pastafarianism

Why am I suddenly hungry for Italian cuisine?

• ed60
    ed60

Hi Phizzy

Yes, history does seem to go around in circles doesn't it?

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/274515/1/Higher-Education-in-the-news-Pew-research#.Uwo0oXmPNjo

I've commented pretty much as our ancient friend did on this thread.

Intresting to see Paul's comment at 1 Corinthians 1:19

New International Version
    For it is written: "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate."

and at at 1 Corinthians 3:19

New International Version
    For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God's sight. As it is written: "He catches the wise in their craftiness";

Paul has something against education... d'ya think? Being a Roman and a Jew at the same time must have made him feel disconnected with both aspects of his society most of the time and this undoubtedly radicalised him turning him into the hothead with supposedly special insights, like that bethel brother giving his audience a revelation about how God will use antimatter http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/180715/1/This-has-no-doubt-been-posted-before-but-worth-hearing-again#.Uwo5zXmPNjo

The religious are at odds with the realities of life on a range of sublime to ridiculous or, benign to malignant.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I am fascinated by Paul, he seems so contradictory, one minute the urbane sophisticate, the next a very orthodox Jew in some ways. He certainly respects the history of his people as he knew it,and their religion too, but sees his "Revelation" as taking that religion in to a new era, one that fits with his Greek education.

He must have been Cognitive Dissonance on legs !

sent you a P.M by the way ed.

I still stick by my contention in the O.P, Paul knew nothing of the real Jesus of Nazareth, he was taught the Mythos that had built up shortly after, and to explain, Jesus' death, and as this fitted with the brain-fart he had on the road to Damascus, he believed it .

• suavojr
    suavojr

Without Paul there cannot be any Christianity today.

I’ve always wondered before waking up to TTATT why God has never picked another apostle to the nations from our time. Why can’t he pick great minds and reveal his power and also give them miraculous powers such as Paul’s?

All we are left with, are some writings from antiquity and fascinating stories that violate all natural laws in order to captivate the readers. Thanks for sharing this info phizzy!

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Thnx for the thread Phizzy, and your thought too Ed, concerning Paul vs the Epicureans.

This semester I'm only taking one study unit - The New Testament in its Times.

When we get to Acts, I'll try out these thoughts on the Lecturer who is a respected scholar in the University.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit