Tomorrow's World - Some WT like Mag delivered to my residence.

by Band on the Run 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

She knows that I will hunt her down if she did. This is the problem. You assume people are normal.

Hunt her down? If she knows you feel this way, then likely it isn't her. Sometimes churches do a mass mailing to the entire neighborhood. That happens here from time to time.

• valkyrie
    valkyrie

DON'T! assume that people are normal.

[Normalcy is a convenient fiction of statistics.]

• stillin
    stillin

Sorry, BOTR, you're on "the list."

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

It was written in a similar style to Witness publications. Since I did not know the group, I skimmed some articles to see if a doctrine was taught. I could not find any. It was too generic. The lack of meaningful content upset me more. There were no dates. Nothing. Only fluff. The mag had no purpose for all I could see.

This is the very first mail I have ever received in my life (from a religious source). I allow church bulletins for my current church. Of course, I am sensitive b/c of the Witnesses. Why would this religion bother wtih me? As loony as the Witnesses are, the Armstrong groups are loonier. It is an insult that they think I am interested in an Armstrong church. All other Christian periodicals, books, etc. that I read are purchased through seminaries.

I am not a blank slate. There is nothing to do. Calling them to tell them don't do it merely confirms that my address is correct. A mainstream magazine would not bother me. When I lived in Mennonite country, their mags did not bother me. Most groups love to plaster theri name and message over everything. The lack of easy identification further bothered me. Call me human. I will confess. What doesn't bother you may bother me. I don't need to follow advice that is approriate for you but not me.

• stillin
    stillin

I think two good suggestions have been offered. The "bin" or write across the label, "wrong address, return to sender."

I had a group of evangelize es corner me to save me once. Creeped me out. Another couple of street preachers picked my pocket.

• cog_survivor
    cog_survivor

Hey BOTR,

As a former Worldwide Church of God prisoner, I'd recommend that you don't worry about it too much. Sometimes they will do fishing campaigns in the mail. Your assessment of their rag is very spot on. They try to keep it generic as possible so they can reel people in.

If you continue to receive them, send them a note in the mail telling them that if they don't remove you from their mailing list, you will write "Cult" and links to several websites to prove it on the front of each one you receive and leave it on a table at the public library.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I know my reaction is b/c of the Witness years. It is spooky b.c I recently braved reading JW.org. What was written on JW.org bore no relationship to the religion that dominated family life for generations. The general public is not being told the truth about Witness beliefs. What they actually say is not false in a legal sense. It is more lying by omission. There seems to be a link between Armstrong's group and the Witnesses. When I called a NYT reporter, the reporters mentioned that both groups were going through similar upheavals. Both involved heavy handed control over membership.

So, yes, certain things bother me that would not bother me if I were raised Presbyterian or some other respectable religion. I don't like flashbacks to the Witnesses. It is all right here b/c of the membership. I feel surrounded by like-minded people. i worked in jails. There is no way I would show up for work in a jail now. I had enough to last a lifetime. I acknowledge and respect almost all beliefs. Some I cannot. It is not content as much as attitude that bothers me. I don't go visit Pentecostal or fundie religions. Everyone makes such choices in life. Everyone.

The First Amendment protects my associational beliefs. This is my trigger in my life. Granted, you may have other triggers. You are not better than I am. I need a zone of privacy in life. My home should have special protection. Witnesses have no right to preach on private property. For those who are unaware, privacy rights have become a major concern in the world Think Edward Snowden. I will survive this magazine. Lord knows I am tired of receiving about 15 catalogues per day. True, they are from my favorite stores. But a simple Google search brings me to their websites where online versions exist. One unwanted magazine will not result in the breakdown of western civilization. My larger concern is how I fit into their advertising scheme. Addresses are bought and sold repeatedly. Will I start receiving mail from fundie groups or right wing conspiratists? What did I do that someone would include me in a mailing? I have yet to receive a single piece of mail from any GOP source.

I watched a Meet the Press about data collection and political campaigns. Purchase of cola brands, shampoo, lettuce types, signal political ideology. I came out so high on the progressive side that I appeared to be a caricature rather than a real person. They went through 30 types of grocery store purchases and I had no neutral or GOP item.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit