Cult?

by bchapp 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Adonai438
    Adonai438

If you are speaking to someone specific then I would first use the above points in pointing out that they really do have cultic behavior and ruling in the society. I then would perhaps shift the focus off of calling or defining 'what' they are ie: cult, religion, or
    'truth' *smirk*. The point I would bring up is despite all the technical clasifications of a cult that they fulfill they main concern is that they are a cult in their beliefs as well. They are even further classified by many as a 'psuedo-christian cult' because they have cultic behavior and they are a false christianity. Perhaps take the focus off of clasifications and 'study' with them showing how their beliefs are not in the scriptures and therefore are not christianity-- If a JW really cares about God then it will matter to them if the Bible matches their beliefs or not. Sharing this info will not be easy or accepted by them easily but is just as important as pointing out their groups detrimental cultic actions.

If you are researching for yourself then the above applies too, just make sure you study the Bible to compare to their doctrines-- You will find that they are not scripturaly correct. They tend to manipulate people who have little to no knowledge of the Bible and indoctrinate them before they get a chance to read it for themselves--thus leading them to their own JW conclusions.

My 2cents Angie <><

• biblexaminer
    biblexaminer

Everyone knows that a cult is made up of people who eat blue cheese under a full moon.

Since we JWs don't eat blue cheese under a full moon, we are not a cult.

There. Now it's settled.

• dedalus
    dedalus
    JW's claim they are not a cult because their kindom hall meetings are open to the public. What are your thoughts on this?

Does it matter if they are a cult or not?

If it can be demonstrated that Witnesses aren't a cult, does that mean they're not in any way bad? If the answer is no, why waste time asking questions about whether they are or aren't a cult?

Isn't this all a stupid semantic game that only makes people gloss over what it means to be a Witness?

Dedalus

• rmayer32
    rmayer32
    Totalatarian government. i.e The authority figure whether it be a single person or a board of individuals has COMPLETE AND TOTAL CONTROLL of EVERY ASPECT of LIFE of ALL its ADHERENTS

That says it all. They can deny all they want but a cult they truly are.

-Rick

• bchapp
    bchapp

If it can be demonstrated that Witnesses aren't a cult, does that mean they're not in any way bad? If the answer is no, why waste time asking questions about whether they are or aren't a cult?

No, I only asked the questions because I was curious about their rationalization. They're always accusing us poor "worldly" people about how we rationalize our "worldly" ways.

• Lotus65
    Lotus65

i know what straw man is but i need a definite definition before i put my notes from the scamming brainwashing convention on the forum

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear bcapp,

I would say that they need to look at all the markings of a cult, as there are definate features, and go through them one by one and see if they fit the bill or not. I have done this, and HOLY cow, out of a list of 15-20 markings, there were only a couple that were questionable if they fit or not. 13-18 that did fit??!! Well that was 13-18 too many for me. You can't excuse all those away just because a couple might not apply. What about all those that do?? That is my thought on the matter.

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• greendawn
    greendawn

As Jerome's analysis indicates a cult is not defined so much by what they do to the body but rather to the spirit. It's not a case of being confined physically. It's what they do to the intangible psychological side that makes them a cult basically they isolate their victims from the rest of society and strike them with fear and guilt.

• carla
    carla

Their Tues & Thurs meetings sure are hidden from the public! I'm sure if I found a house that was having one of its meetings and said I wanted to sit in, would they let me? how about if I wore jeans and took notes? doubtful. What about when Jan comes and the new rules come into effect? The 'public' meeting is going to 30 min but then what about the meeting after that? How will that be handled as they don't want non-baptized people to get a hold of the wt's?

• the dreamer dreaming
    the dreamer dreaming

any group that forces members to lie or pretend to keep friends and family is what I would call a cult.

an honest person is punished for saying he can no longer call himself a JW because he no longer believes the Belief System [BS].

a dishonest person is allowed to remain in good standing... and there are lots of them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit