Very difficult position - Please help

by Elsewhere 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I've found myself in a very difficult position. With the .COM bust and the recession I am having a very difficult time finding work. I have lived on savings and unemployment insurance for quite some time now, but I’m going to run out of savings at the end of this month. Once this happens I won’t be able to afford my apartment and other expenses anymore.

Moving back in with my JW parents is not an option. Because of this I am looking for someone who can handle a temporary roommate or has a spare room (or large walk-in closet ) that I can occupy for a modest rent fee (or out of generosity ) in the Dallas – Fort Worth area. I’m not looking for anything long-term, just something until I get another job. I will put my possessions in storage, so there will not be a clutter.

I’m a very solitary, quiet and independent person - while at home I will spend most of my time in my room, in front of my computer, reading or watching TV. I’ll be more than willing to help out around the house: cleaning, washing, errands, shopping, etc...

I’ll spell it out real simple; here are my finances once my savings run out:

Income:
    $1,276 per Month ($319/week) Unemployment Insurance

Current Basic Expenses:
    $989.00 per month - Rent
    $500 per month – Paying off a failed business attempt
    $110 per month – Car insurance (Full Coverage)
    $60 per month – Gas for car ($15 / week)
    (Car is paid for – Yay!)
    $50 per month – cell phone
    $90 per month – electric bill
    $40 per month – Internet Access
    $300 per month – Food ($10/day)

$2139 – Total

Basic Expenses without apartment:
    $0 per month - Rent
    $500 per month – Paying off a failed business attempt
    $58 per month – Car insurance (Major Cutbacks)
    $60 per month – Gas for car ($15 / week)
    (Car is paid for – Yay!)
    $50 per month – cell phone
    $0 per month – electric bill
    $0 per month – Internet Access
    $300 per month – Food ($10/day) (In 30 days I will qualify for food stamps)
    $100.00 Storage fee (To store my stuff – the $100 is just a guess, I will be calling around to get a quote)

$1068 – Total

As you can see I will have about $200 to work with each month for ALL other expenses.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, any inkling of a lead you might have will be GREATLY appreciated.

My email address is: [email protected]

Here is a bit of humor to help encourage you:

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• LDH
    LDH

(((((((Elsewhere))))))))

Lisa

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

(((( elsewhere )))))

• Prisca
    Prisca

Can I share in the grope, oops, I mean group hugging of Elsewhere?

((((((((elsewhere))))))))))

Sorry you're in this position. I've been in pretty similar situations myself. I'd offer you a place to stay until you can get back on your feet, but I'm on the other side of the world. But the offer would be there if you lived closer.

Sending you positive vibes.

• Valis
    Valis

dude, please call me this evening.....I may have a solution for you!

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• KPL
    KPL

I wish I was closer to you. I can understand your position. You probably feel very alone right now, but your not! We are all here to listen. About 2 years ago I was laid off from a .com company also. I also had to give up my apt. and my JW parents wouldn't help. I was laid off and now homeless. I was also recently divorced with 2 small children. I was asked to make a commitment to the organization at the most depressing time in my life. Not long after that I was DF'd. I lived in an office with my kids for a few moths and then a " wordly" friend I used to work with opened her home to me and my children. I lived in a 3rd floor 2 bdrm apt with my friend and her daughter. I lived with her for 9 months until I could afford to get my own apt. It opened my eyes to a lot of things, one being how my "wordly" friends were there for me more than any of my JW friends or family ever were. I am now working in a great job, have a nice apt walking distance from the kids school and am in a happy relationship. Things may seem pretty bad right now, but they will get better. It will take time, but you sound like a survivor!
    Hang in there.

You can serve God without serving the
    "Organization"

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Thanks for all the hugs!!!

(((((((((((LDH))))))))))))
    (((((((((((dungbeetle))))))))))))
    (((((((((((Prisca)))))))))))))

Please talk to your friends and ask them if they know of anyone I could stay with.

Here is something VERY depressing... I was looking at the web sites for Homeless Shelters in the Dallas area and I came across this:
    http://www.sharedhousing.org/residence%20application.html

They charge 30% of your income. That would come out to $383.70 per month for me - and I can't afford that!

You know you’re in REAL bad shape when you can't even afford to stay at a homeless shelter!!!

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    <x ><

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

Elsewhere, I wanted to express my sympathy for your position. I have you in my thoughts and prayers that you find what you are looking for and everything works out.

I wanted to voice concern over you posting so much personal information on the Internet. Are you sure that is safe? I just want you to be careful.

Your friend and with you in spirit,

Jason

It is not religious persecution for an informed person to expose publicly a certain religion as being false, thus allowing persons to see the difference between false religion and true religion.
    WT 11/15/1963 page 688 paragraph 3

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Reborn2002, thanks for your concern about my privacy... so far I have only posted my general location, general finances, and general personality profile.

I'm not too worried. Thanks again.

<x ><

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Its scary to have few resources, isn't it? Its also causes depression. Luckily, you're young and I believe you will soon rise above this. It must have been hard approaching this forum with real personal problems and I admire your courage. Remember that life is constantly changing; one day you're down the next day you're up. I pray that your "UP" comes soon!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit