JWism and their curious doctrine of salvation

by Laika 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Laika
    Laika

In Christian theology there is often a lot of talk about whether we are saved by faith or works, and what exactly those things mean. This thread is not exactly about that, instead it's about how JWs, in their inimitable style, somehow managed to create a doctrine that mixes the worst of both and caused me no end of internal conflict as a JW.

In JW doctrine, life is about an argument between Jehovah and Satan. Satan said that nobody follows Jehovah out of love, but only for what they can personally get out of it. Instead of telling Satan to eff off, Jehovah decided to take this challenge, and our salvation is now dependant on our ability to answer it. We are, as it were, Witnesses in a court case, offering evidence for Jehovah's side. Our reward for giving Jehovah the evidence he requires is eternal life.

The problem is that we prove this love by doing works, most importantly through the formal preaching work. If we don't preach, we can't be rewarded, but the reason we preach cannot be to get rewarded, but out of pure motive and love for Jehovah. You have to try to earn your salvation, without being allowed to try to earn your salvation!

As a JW I could not convince myself that I was preaching for love, as I hated this work with an unmatched passion. It was a burden, and if we love God, his commands are not supposed to be burdensome. No wonder I always felt guilty!

What were your experiences in this regard? Did you ever feel 'saved'?

• Ucantnome
  • Laika
    Laika

Succinct. :)

• kneehighmiah
    kneehighmiah

Salvation is a dangling carrot for JWs

• prologos
    prologos

then, this gift of love, your service to god,-- they institutionalize, count, analize, display as their achievement as a corporation.

while never being able to deliver on the reward of live, or even fixing the date of the delivery.

• bruh2012
    bruh2012

Laika

I understand where you are coming from. My understanding after doing "my own private research" is that once you have faith - its that faith that makes works happen. can't put the cart before the horse in this case- works is that "public declaration" that you have faith. Now with that being said- in JW thinking going to "the hall", "goin out in service" shows your "spirituality" and you earning your way to get "into the new system" as you are aware of.

We can't break new ground and tell the GB that gee- "the bible teach" that we CANNOT earn salvation (no matter how much "service" no matter how many "meetings"- that's why everlasting life its a GIFT !!

• Laika
    Laika

You raise another good point bruh, JWs would agree that you can't earn salvation in the sense that you can't live a perfect life so it takes some element of forgiveness from Jehovah. But there's still a bar they have to reach, vaguely defined as 'doing your best' It's all very confusing.

• Ding
    Ding

If good works are done in order to "prove worthy", avoid annihilation, and live forever with friends and family on a paradise earth, aren't they being done for what the doer can personally get out of it?

• bruh2012
    bruh2012

Good point!

We then need to understand what the bible truly teaches and let that be the authority that counts.

All said and done we have to answer each one of us to YHWH (Jehovah) for whats in our hearts of faith and love. Matt. 22:37.

• Laika
    Laika

Yes Ding, and I don't personally see a problem with that, I think it sounds quite reasonable in fact. The JW problem is that they're not supposed to be serving for that reason, which is the conflict.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit