Does anyone here believe that things are worse than they were in the past?

by Trismegistus 45 Replies latest jw friends

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

The four horsemen that began to ride in 1914 seem to have gone back into their stables since the end of WW2.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I've done everything I can do to time-travel back to the 1800s so I could personally apologize to the injuns and everyone else who wasn't seated at Jah's great banquet-table.

Neither I nor anyone else has been able to suceed at this, so I am like totally over apologizing for things that happened when I did not exist. But if it works for you, knock yourself out.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Its quite obvious things are better today certainly since 1914 the year the WTS the world supposedly

started to get worse, leveraging on the beginning of WW1.

Those slyly manipulative and exploitive men running the WTS. aways created formative bullshit to put on the

front cover of its magazines and books to attract attention.

Still goes on to this day.

• Oh Gawd
    Oh Gawd

Fact check: Suicide IS NOT the leading cause of death in the US for people age 10 to 50. It is the 2nd leading cause in 15-24 yr olds behind car wrecks though.

http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/usa-cause-of-death-by-age-and-gender

Just for fun I'm going to send that war graph above to my FIL just to fuck with his head..lol

edit...need to fact check myself...suicide is 3rd in the 15-24 group behind posioning and homicides. Hmmm, I would have never guessed posioning.

• Laika
    Laika

Certainly worse in some ways, but on the whole, I wouldn't want to have lived in any other time period.

• HBH
    HBH

Oh gawd,

This was my source showing it now exceeds car wrecks.

The issue of perspective was mentioned. And is true, but I like Mark Twains' quote about travel.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigtory, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts"

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

"@Prof. J Goldstein: wow, really! no major conflicts since the end of WW2? And how long ago was that? I'm sure the people of Korea, Vietnam, Timor, Sudan, Somalia, Iraq, Iran, Syria, etc, etc. will all be relieved to hear that. Not to mention all the millions that disappeared after WW2 with the rise of communism in former Soviet Union, China, etc. Proxy wars are so convenient." - FadeToBlack

Death toll estimates of all deaths that are either directly or indirectly caused by war. These numbers usually include both the deaths of military personnel which are the direct results of battle or other military wartime actions, as well as the wartime/war-related deaths of civilians, which are the results of war induced epidemics, diseases, famines, atrocities, genocide etc.

60,669,200-84,589,300 – World War II (1939–1945)
    1,200,000 – Korean War (1950–1953)
    800,000-3,800,000 – Vietnam War/Second Indochina War (1955–1975)
    550,000 – Somali Civil War (1988–present)
    957,865-1,622,865 – Soviet war in Afghanistan (1979–1989)
    272,000-329,745 - War on Terror (2001–present)
    7,500,000 – Chinese Civil War (1927–1949)

• smiddy
    smiddy

MadGiant

Lets not forget the millions/billions killed by the God of love of the bible , either directly or indirectly that continues to this day .

His actual participation , his sanction , condoning genocide , rape , pillaging , slavery , incest , and his worlwide slaughter of animals.

smiddy

• steve2
    steve2

Tragedy and tribulation were no less harrowing because they occurred in the past. It is human nature to equate what happens now as somehow and in someway more significant than what happened in the past. A woman accused of being a witch in 1600s Britain and burnt alive by her "Christian" village would - if she could - look at modern Britain and declare its well-fed and longer living population to be living in paradise.

• HBH
    HBH

Steve2, I agree, but facts are facts. What I'm saying is the quantity.

There have never been this many people on the planet, and there have never been this many people suffering.

HBH

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit