BIG conversation with the missus MKII. Ended well. Wish I could argue better!

by Captain Blithering 37 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

DID YOU KNOW . . . ?

The act of baptism is a vital part of “the mark ” that identifies you for salvation.—Ezekiel 9:4-6.

• The Watchtower (2008)
    • w08 7/15 pp. 3-7
    • The House-to-House Ministry—Why Important Now?

Marking People for Survival

10 The importance of the house-to-house ministry can be seen from a vision given to the prophet Ezekiel. In that vision, Ezekiel sees six men with weapons in their hands as well as a seventh man clothed in linen with a secretary’s inkhorn at his side. The seventh man is told to “pass through the midst of the city” and “put a mark on the foreheads of the men that are sighing and groaning over all the detestable things that are being done in the midst of it.” Following that marking work, the six men with the slaughtering weapons are commanded to execute all those who do not have the mark.—Read Ezekiel 9:1-6.

11 We understand that in the fulfillment of this prophecy, the man “clothed in linen” represents the remnant of spirit-anointed Christians. By means of the preaching and disciple-making work, the anointed class puts a symbolic mark on those who become part of Christ’s “other sheep.” (John 10:16) What is the mark ? It is the evidence, as if displayed on their uncovered foreheads, that such sheep are dedicated, baptized disciples of Jesus Christ and that they have put on the Christlike new personality. (Eph. 4:20-24) These sheeplike ones become one flock with anointed Christians and assist them in their vital work of marking still others.—Rev. 22:17.

9:3-6. Acquiring the mark —the evidence that we are dedicated, baptized servants of God and that we have the Christian personality—is essential for surviving the “great tribulation.” (Matthew 24:21) Anointed Christians, represented by the man with the secretary’s inkhorn, are taking the lead in doing the marking work, that is, the Kingdom-preaching and disciple-making work. If we want to retain our mark , we must zealously help them in this work.

Those of the great crowd are pictured as being marked for survival. (Ezekiel 9:4-6) “The mark ” is the evidence that they are dedicated to Jehovah, baptized as disciples of Jesus, and involved in cultivating a Christlike personality.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

When involved in such discussions with your spouse, DO NOT argue.

In fact, I found it better to enlist my wife's help in resolving issues that I faced on WT doctrine. (sincerely)

I am a born in and was an elders for many, many years when I began to question some things.

My wife could see that I was emotionally distraught and sincere in researching the issues.

By her seeking to find the right answers to my questions, she found her own crisis of conscience.

She discovered TTATT.

But if you argue or debate, their reasonableness turns off and their defensive mechanisms turn on.

They subconsciously must switch over to defending WT doctrine like a momma bear defends her cubs.

You must cautiously keep them working on your side to find the answer (that cannot be found), and thus they will discover the questions that cannot be asked.

Doc

• out4good3
    out4good3

I stopped arguing with my wife about WT dogma long ago. Whenever she gets going in one of those SWAG claims, I just ask her for biblical proof in context absent the consideration of the opinion of a WT magazine.

I'ts become easy to show her that the WT organization is just as beholding to their traditions as any other religious organization.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

CB, I am delighted for you. The cracks are opening, the wheels are turing. Think of the advice the KM give you. If you can't answer a question, look it up and come back later with the answer.

We have been brought up to think that there is an answer for everything. There isn't. It would be great to be as sure of anything as the WT is of everything! Keep it up bud.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

CB, I am delighted for you. The cracks are opening, the wheels are turing. Think of the advice the KM give you. If you can't answer a question, look it up and come back later with the answer.

We have been brought up to think that there is an answer for everything. There isn't. It would be great to be as sure of anything as the WT is of everything! Keep it up bud.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

Hey CB, sounds like we had almost the same conversation. Congrats. My wife had left some highlighted paragraphs from recent Wt articles about the need to continue meeting together for me to read. and finally confronted me about it. At first I thought she wanted to talk about how much beer I have been drinking but that was not the case. Whew. Then I talked too much, but eventually regained my composure. Gave her a chance to read her WT paragraphs etc and started making my points. At the end, I told her I was glad we were finally talking about this instead of dancing around on eggshells. I have also offered to start reading the bible togther in line with the weekly material she is supposed to cover for the weekly bible reading . Nice since they are starting over in Genesis this week. I am ready.

She knows where I stand and why.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

I also hit the organ transplant thing as you did. I asked her: how would you feel as a faithful JW if you had denied your son an organ transplant based on what you had read in the WT and he died, and then 1 year later they said it was now a matter of conscious. No biggy, right?

We had a big discussion about who would get destroyed at the big A. She took the same stance as your wife - we never said that - it is up to Jah, he reads their hearts. So, if he can read hearts, why do I have to go out annoying them every Saturday? What's the point?

I did not go near the evolution/creation topic. She agrees 2370 is not possible for a world-wide flood. Now working on first human in 4026...

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

Seriously, who are these people who say that NON-JWs will survive armageddon? That is NOT a borg teaching never has been. Most uber dubs I know sit around and mentally circle jerk themselves getting off on who IN the cancer won't survive.

I've actually heard of a CO commenting to his family that the society is seeming to take this stance lately, that "good people" may be selected from outside the organization by Jehovah and so we can't be to intolerant of others in our ministry. I heard this about 2 years ago, but haven't heard any other comments like that since

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit