Bye Bye Love. Bye Bye Phil Everly.

by rip van winkle 26 Replies latest social entertainment

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Just heard that Phil Everly passed away from COPD at the age of 74.

So sad. RIP

Love The Everly Brothers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCWMMKS6W4Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Loved the Everly brothers. 74 is too young.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

One of my favorite Everly Brothers songs:

Man With Money

(If you haven't heard it, listen, it's not one they play on the radio. My beloved grandson Mickey loved this song when he was 3.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4l1U23VK4s

• rip van winkle
  • FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Rip, I love that one, too. What magic their voices made as they blended, and melded into one amazing sound.

• 3rdgen
  • rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

FHN- Rip, I love that one, too. What magic their voices made as they blended, and melded into one amazing sound.

Yes!! "Don't Blame Me", I am crazy for them. Their harmonies are delicious. All I Have To Do Is Dream".

• steve2
    steve2

Oh that is so very sad. Along with brother Don, Phil created some of the most beautiful songs that have become standards influencing others including especially the Beatles. The Everly Brothers provide some of the most compelling evidence that their heyday - the late 1950s through mid- 60s - produced music every bit as inventive and "progressive" as that which followed the British invasion. Whilst their blockbuster hits were composed primarily by Felice and Boudleaux Bryant, Phil composed several of their finest songs, including Til I Kissed You, Let It Be Me and Devoted To You - the latter hit is in my opinion perhaps the gentlest pop song "ode" to the enduring depths of true love. Listen to it whilst holding your loved one close and you'll be moved to tears of love.

My mother bought the double-sided hit So Sad/Lucille and I have strongly positive memories of playing those 2 tracks over and over and over until my usually mild mannered JW mother came storming into the lounge promising to smash the record if I did not stop playing it. An early lesson that too much of a good thing can be undo the sweetness of one's love ones. But, god! What lovely, lovely music. Those who identify the Everly Brothers solely with lovey-dovey music need to hear some of their later songs such as the ravishing Price of Love and Bowling Green. And the social-consciousnes of Love of the Common People. Phil RIP.

• designs
  • rip van winkle

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit