Hi CoCo ....Those films make me nervous! haha

My preference was Marty, Rebel Without cause, Picnic,

Mr. Roberts ...

Mostly from the 50's :-)

http://www.filmsite.org/aa55.html

clarity

• smiddy
    smiddy

A funny scene (not supposed to be ) from The Day of The Triffids C1950`s ,watching it now is , a train station packed with people going to work , a train pulling into the station , and everyone is blind , including the train driver . I thought it hilarious.

smiddy

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Co-cola, there is indeed an art to subtlety. Everything about today's entertainment seems to be in your face, including sexuality. Hinting at something respects the imagination of the movie goer.

• dmouse
    dmouse

Ah yes, the classics. Forbidden Planet is one of my all time favourites. The monster from the Id is terrifying!

Might I recommend another british classic - Quatermass & the Pit.

I agree, most modern blockbusters leave me bored now, Man of Steel is a case in point, with the end battle just going on for sooo long. I don't even bother with most of them now (never seen Iron man 3 or Avengers, or Pacific rim). Finances are too precious to waste on very film that comes out.

I did enjoy Gravity though, and recommend it on the big screen.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

CC:

Did you see Oblivion? To me it had a very interesting storyline with an unexpected plot twist.

Take Care

• compound complex
    compound complex

Good morning, and thanks for great posts!

GL: Yes, Hitchcock, The Master!

Spectre: Cool about Bryan Cranston -- what an honor. Will look into BB!

smiddy: Thanks for mention of "The Day the Earth Stood Still." I'm glad I have the tape. Gotta love Gort!

clarity: I can understand why those films make you nervous; we're all wired differently. I recently saw "Marty" and loved it!

FHN: You're right about being in your face. Respect my imagination, please!

dmouse: I agree on the money part. In the 50s you got a double feature, newsreel, cartoons and a candy bar for a nickel! I missed "Gravity" at the theatre because of the high ticket price -- DARN!

bobcat: Will add "Oblivion" to my "must-see" list. You take care, also.

BEST!

CoCo

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Any Ray Harryhausen fans?? I am a big fan, although I have yet to see all his films. I am thinking of doing a marathon soon. Anyway, there are tons of sleek looking, but ultimately boring films out there. All flash and no substance. It's like dating a vacuous model I suppose..

Forbidden Planet, AWESOME. The Creature fom the Black Lagoon, AWESOME. I hope that movie makers will find the balance between technology and good story writing. I think the movie called ' Signs' was a good example. CGI was used, but not abused.

DD

• poppers
    poppers

In "The Thing," the audience gasped when the men surrounding the ice-encased object proved to be circular: a flying saucer!

Got a laugh out of your sentence, CC.

• compound complex
    compound complex

DATA-DOG: Absolutely a Ray Harryhausen fan, here! Thanks for the reminder. I love the crisp black-and-white filming of 'Creature.'

poppers: Thanks, but I cannot take total credit for my rephrasing of a movie reviewer's description of that episode. Every time I see the film, the musical and visual buildup to that gripping scene causes me to gasp, to shudder, . . .

CHEERS!

CC

• Spectre
    Spectre

DATA-DOG: I saw Ray at the San Diego Comic-Con some years ago. We talked about the current CGI movies at the time and I told him that his work had heart and charm to them as opposed to the cold, wrong and clunky effects that early CGI offered. They do CGI a lot better but its gotten to the point of being a crutch.

I blame Michael Bay for the norm of the non-stop action sequence. Actually I shouldn't blame him. I should blame all the decent directors that emulate him that should know better.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit