The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• cofty
    cofty

Tammy and Strypes if you are both incapable of engaging with a conversation then don't post.

Ignoring all of the arguments that have been discussed previously and indulging in trite preaching is not the same as having a conversation.

On the other hand, you serve an important function of demonstrating to people reading ths thread what faith based thinking does to the human mind.

It does not seem to be a dilemma for most of the theists who have posted on this thread.

Its a huge dilemma for all theists whether or not they have the honesty to acknowledge it.

• cofty
  • besty
    besty

excellent summary of both sides cofty

I'd like to see a lucid believer take your summary and do a point by point rebuttal.

• KateWild
    KateWild

I'd like to see a lucid believer take your summary and do a point by point rebuttal.-besty

I don't think you would consider anyone who believes in God lucid besty, don't you view us all as crazies? Besides I wouldn't do a rebuttal as all my points will be viewed as "off topic" by cofty.

It's a lose / lose challenge my dear. Love you to bits Kate xx

• besty
    besty

lucid ˈluːsɪd adjective

1. 1. expressed clearly; easy to understand. "a lucid account"
      synonyms: intelligible, comprehensible, understandable, cogent, coherent,communicative, articulate, eloquent;

@kate - ok - 1st believer has declined the challenge. No I don;t view you all as crazies - pls stop speculating on what I think - it doesn;t add anything to your position.

I don't think cofty would have an issue with a lucid rebuttal. Its the pages of preaching that are obfuscatory.

• cofty
    cofty

Thank you Besty.

I am going to add the non-answer "its a mystery" later.

Kate - You are not a theist so it is not a dilemma for you.

It's not a lose-lose challege if somebody has a winning argument. Every argument presented so far has been refuted honestly.

If you disagree then please explain.

• KateWild
    KateWild

You have placed rules on the challenge to rebutt you, so I disagree that you are allowing anyone to challenge you in their way, it has to be on your terms

Kate - You are not a theist so it is not a dilemma for you.-cofty

You are claiming with this thread, in simplistic terms "God does not exists due to natural disasters" this is a dilema for me as I believe in God and this fact does not prove God does not exist. You are not permitting freedom of expression on your thread cofty, I disagree totally with that, you keep saying I am off topic.

How many believers would apreciate my thoughts on God's indifference but my maintained belief in God, I have had PMs you know. Kate xx

• cofty
    cofty

That is not my claim as I have explained countless times. See my reply to Flamegrilled above.

The are no rules other than replies should be on topic and take account of what has been said already. That is why I provided a summary.

In your case, somebody who believes in an indifferent god is not a theist. B y definition a theist believes in the imanence of god - that he is actively involved in human affairs and answers prayers.

• KateWild
    KateWild

That is not my claim as I have explained countless times-cofty

I am afraid I am not satisfied with your countless explainations this whole 55 page thread is about human suffering and leads all readers to believe you are denouncing God for this reason. Your explainations are abigious and vague from my perspective. Hence why you are having to explain yourself countless times, no one is buying it cofty.

cofty, when did I post I was not a theist? I said I believe in God, just not one that punishes and rewards humans. I do not label myself in any other terms. Lurkers, should see that one has the right not to assume a label, if that is ones desire.

The are no rules other than replies should be on topic...............cofty

blah blah cofty, there are rules, and a list of off topic, topics which must not be discussed that were decided by cofty.

God does not exist is the only rebuttal that is on topic, correct? Kate xx

• KateWild
    KateWild

2. Answers that call into question god's ability to prevent the tsunami

For example...
    There may have been unforeseen consequences of stopping the disaster
    God is not all-powerful

Rational Response
    The god of theism is the omnipotent creator. It would have been trivially easy for him to calm the wave and prevent any other negative consequences.

The question is not a problem for worshippers of a lesser god.

I believe in God, but you don't have a response to the fact that it was not God's desire to prevent the tsunami? This does not mean God is a lesser God. I don't know how God thinks, and I want to find out. This furthers enquiry into God's persoanlity, but it does not negate the fact I am angry this has happened.

I suppose you view this response as off topic, well I am afraid I disagree with anyone that would say this. Not everyone that believes in God and wants to talk about God would label themselves theists or non-theists

Why are you just defining the God of theism, people want to post about God full stop not a restricted definition of God?

Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit