New Light on the Name Jehovah?

by Ding 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Ding
    Ding

I've heard from two different sources today that the WT is making some announcement next week about a new understanding about the name Jehovah?

Has anyone else heard about this?

I can't imagine them tinkering with the Name...

• SloppyJoe
    SloppyJoe

I would think they are confusing the recent letter read at the meetings about the draw close to Jehovah book. That was related to the change in the meaning if the name Jehovah which was discussed at the annual meeting.

• prologos
    prologos

there was a topic by endofmysteries just 2 days ago" NEW LIGHT---"

• Ding
    Ding

If that stuff is a big announcement, life must really be dull at the Kingdom Halls these days...

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

The 'Big Change' is that now instead of the 'old light' name of Jehovah, the NEW Holy Name will be 'GeeHoober'. It's 'NULITE' of course. All loyal JWs are required to begin using the new name as of January 1, 2014. Let's all hop on the bandwagon and support the GB in implementing the ground-breaking name change.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

yea here is what prologos was talking about and this is the new light. The only thing I got out of it is either they are trying to save themselves from embarrassment about an uncorrect understanding in the future or they are testing to see how excited people get over the difference in the meaning of "literally" to "understood as".

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/268802/1/The-new-light-changes-from-the-draw-close-to-Jehovah-printed-form-vs-online-form#.UsEAqvmsh8E

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

About the 13th century the term "Jehovah" appeared when Christian scholars took the consonants of "Yahweh" and pronounced it with the vowels of "Adonai." This resulted in the sound "Yahowah," which has a Latinized spelling of "Jehovah." The first recorded use of this spelling was made by a Spanish Dominican monk, Raymundus Martini, in 1270.

Interestingly, this fact is admitted in much Jehovah's Witness literature, such as their Aid to Bible Understanding (p. 885). This is surprising because Jehovah's Witnesses loathe the Catholic Church and have done everything in their power to strip their church of traces of Catholicism. Despite this, their group's very name contains a Catholic "invention," the name "Jehovah."

Jehovah's Witnesses blast orthodox Christendom for "hiding the name of God" by replacing "Jehovah" with "the Lord" whenever "Jehovah" appears in Scripture. They charge this is a Jewish "superstition" that dishonors God (which it does not). Yet their own organization has a name that was invented as a result of the same thinking that produced use of "the Lord."

• processor
    processor

Comparison of changes in the Jehovah book: www.diffchecker.com/cxs6dldn

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thanks Processor ! that made it easy to see. I think most JW's will not even notice this difference, but it is not without significance.

They are leaning toward listening a bit to Scholars who actually know what they are talking about, which they have done precious little of in the past.

Also, this is a softening, or indeed weakening, of all their past arguments about the importance of using the word Jehovah.

I wonder where this is going ? A more mainstream public face ? many members of the public find it off-putting all the talk of "Jehovah this" and "Jehovah that" and hardly a mention of Jesus, I wonder if the word Jehovah may not be used so frequently in future ?

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

In the RNWT appendix, the GB says that we should not be dogmatic about the pronunciation of YHWH. OH, thanks a-holes... So NOW your new Bible reads almost as accurately as all the versions you bashed over the years, and JEHOVAH may not mean what you said it meant..

Sounds to me like they never really knew JEHOVAH at all.

DD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit