I just noticed this little change in the NEW New World Translation

by stillin 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

In line with what Cyrus said, the AMG Greek WordStudy Dictionary defines the phrase:

• "The two words together (hosakis ean) mean however often, as often as (1 Cor 11:25, 26), "each time that you do so" (a.t.). There is no implication of urgency or frequency. It rather means that each and every time you do so, no matter whether frequently of otherwise . . ."

The RNWT changed "as often as" in 1 Cor 11:25, 26 to "whenever." The other occurrance of the phrase in Revelation 11:6 remains "as often as." So it looks like they felt the need to reword in connection with the Memorial.

Incidentally, I've noticed that the WT has gone to saying that Jesus stipulated an annual remembrance in contrast to the Reasoning Book's more honest, "Jesus did not specifically state how often it was to be done." For example, in this Sunday's WT study (12-29-2013), par. 2 says: "Jesus instituted a new annual observance that replaced the Passover."

In connection with how often it was held, note Paul's words at the end of 1 Corinthians chapter 11:

• (1 Corinthians 11:33, 34 NWT) ". . .Consequently, my brothers, when YOU come together to eat [it], wait for one another. 34 If anyone is hungry, let him eat at home, that YOU may not come together for judgment. But the remaining matters I will set in order when I get there.

It is curious that Paul saw a need to point out the problem the Corinthians were having with regard to the Lord's Evening Meal in this letter rather than letting the matter wait till he got there. This might be an indication that this was an ongoing problem, i.e. happening far more often than once a year.

Also notice Paul's view of the Christian Passover as pointed out in 1 Cor 5:7:8 (NWT) -

• ". . .Clear away the old leaven, that YOU may be a new lump, according as YOU are free from ferment. For, indeed, Christ our passover has been sacrificed. 8 Consequently let us keep the festival, not with old leaven, neither with leaven of badness and wickedness, but with unfermented cakes of sincerity and truth."

Paul could hardly mean to say that he wanted them to clear out "badness and wickedness" and practice "sincerity and truth" once a year.

Even so, "as often as," by itself, would allow for a once a year occasion. (See here for more comments on the when of the Memorial - including Leolaia's a few posts down)

Take Care

• prologos
    prologos

It is like the timing of the wt cry: " Whenever-- peace & security"

Whenever= every time

as often= once a year.

Wt time is elastic like a sticky chewing gum.

Interestingly Luke did not call the first post-pentecost Nisan 14 "memorial date" but "passover" and no passing of wine&bread is mentioned when Peter was freed by the angels.

they forgot? did not get an invitation?

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Paul was the earliest writer of the books in the NT. In Galatians he writes that he learned nothing from the Jerusalem Church (James, Peter, and John) but that everything he got came to him directly from Jesus. (Presumably he had "visions".)

Paul is thus the creator of this "Last Supper" Eucharist, with its mystical "blood" and "flesh". The later Gospel writers, who had no personal experience of Jesus either, copied Paul's story, word-for-word in one case. The exception is the John Gospel, who place this "blood" and "flesh" into a totally different context; nothing to do with any "Last Supper in an upper room".

Doug

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit