Winter Olympics... Boycott?

by snare&racket 13 Replies latest jw friends

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

I think it should go elsewhere due to the human rights issues and Putin's regime.

I swear, modern Russia is the personification of watchtower, homophobic, xenophobic, dare to question...go on...you questioned? Awww ....gulag!

Press saying bad things? Denounce them, then get rid of them.

The elite look after the elite and the facade of 'everything is swell here' is more valuble than any individuals life....

The country displays traits that made me leave my religion of 25 years, of course it is more powerful, more violent, more extreme than WT, but it evokes the same disgust in me.

Sport should not be used as a political football, but the international stage needs to do something for the oppressed Russians, the undercurrent of a boiling revolution can be felt vibrating as far away as here, in the UK. Real people like us are suffering, can we really turn up for 4 weeks to ski and bobsleigh and hand out gold plated tin medals?

Putin.... Man of honour..

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

A trainee doctor friend of mine is gay and a keen activist, he informed me about the new laws on being vocal about your homosexuality. You can now be jailed for defending it, supporting it or promoting it. A young was grassed up by his parents and sent to jail for being opem about being gay.

They are being besten and killed by gangs of thugs. They tie up, photograph, assault the gay men and women, putting the images all over the internet. They invite them out for dates via internet etc then do all this evil stuff, including outing them to family and the area. The thugs are getting famous and openly brag about their activity.

This is just one realm of many in Russia, currently opressed. But it is certainly not the place for international respect And support.

• designs
    designs

Jimmy Carter kept the US out of the Olympics. Jesse Owens and the other black atheletes showed the world that Hilter and his Nazi party were wrong. I support the US going. Prove Putin and his followers wrong.

• KateWild
    KateWild

A young was grassed up by his parents and sent to jail for being opem about being gay.-snare

Yes they are as bad as the WT, but other Saudi Emirites countires are just as homophonic too. We are not living in a world that is just at all. Politicians and Clergy controll the masses unfailrly. That is life, we ahve to help where ever we can.

Kate xx

P.S. I made a plan to meet up with my gay friend today. We are going out for coffee this week, and maybe get him to be my wing man on New Years Eve, what dya think snare?

• Space Madness
    Space Madness

Is Russia any worst than China, India, Indonesia, Bangladesh, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Mexico, or any of the other countries that uses slave labor? Is Russia any worst than the United States that constantly kills innocent civilvians in Pakistan and Yemen with drone strikes? Not to mention all the innocent lives that were lost in the illegal Iraq War (a war the UK supported). If we were to boycott ever country that had immoral, unethical, or intolereant pratices, than there would be maybe only 2 or 3 countries that would qualify for the olympics. Also China has a much worse record of human rights violations than Russia and they hosted the olympics in 2008.

• KateWild
    KateWild

I agree, the politicians in those countries are abominable, you forgot Somalia, North Korea plus prolly mant more. Kate xx

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Any Christian or communist regime (and both work the same) is oppressive and should be denied any access to these sports. We boycotted the 1980 Olympics, we could do the same again unless both Christi-SCAM-ity and communism, and Judaism, and Islam, are done away with and not allowed to influence public policy. This kind of religion does not belong in politics--and leaders allowing Judaism, Christi-SCAM-ity/communism, and/or Islam to dictate their policies ought to face the same treatment. Even the United Tyranny of Stupidity.

• under the radar
    under the radar

Tom Clancy's latest novel, Command Authority, seems particularly pertinent and almost prescient right about now...

I found it fascinating and could hardly put it down. The parallels I see in current events are almost eerie.

It's about Russia's rising nationalism and the causes and effects thereof. Since Clancy's untimely death this past October, this will be the final Jack Ryan novel unless his ghost writers and collaborators continue the series in his name. This happened with Robert Ludlum's Jason Bourne series.

• cofty
    cofty

Russia tried perestroika and glasnost and were fast becoming a third world economy. Putin has led it back to its old oppressive, totalitarian ways.

It worries me far more than radical Islam. The Taliban will fail from its own stupidity. Russia and China are dangerous.

• joelfromgeorgia
    joelfromgeorgia

I agree that the athletes should go and use every opportunity to expose how oppressive Russia is, not only to gay people, but to all of their people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit