JW's DO celebrate Xmas!

by PrincessCynic 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• PrincessCynic
    PrincessCynic

I'm finding it really funny how many witnesses celebrate Christmas without actually 'celebrating Christmas'.

I'm just looking at Facebook and seeing how many got together with family on Christmas Day or Boxing Day and had a big roast dinner, often with turkey, ate too much, drank too much, played some board games etc.

Then a few days later I'm seeing photos from all their 'Family Present Days' where the kids get a ton of gifts to open.

I've left the cult and some of my JW family did more to celebrate the holidays than I did.

On a side note, I also found out recently that there's more than a few in the congregation who don't agree with the society's ban on birthdays and secretly do something as a family to celebrate. These include well-respected members, not just 'weaker' ones. When it was discovered that I feel the same way, it was like I'd been let into a secret club, I had sisters approaching me asking quietly if I did something nice for my child's birthday and telling me I should have got a cake.

Why don't they just give up the farce? They judge others for doing these things and only make an outward display of not doing them themselves.

• cult classic
    cult classic

"Why don't they just give up the farce? They judge others for doing these things and only make an outward display of not doing them themselves."

Fear. JWs are some of the scariest people on earth. Fear of man is their modus operandi

Tons of JWs celebrate the holidays and then go all ballistic over the Xmas decorations in the community. They are a very judgemental and confused group.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    When it was discovered that I feel the same way, it was like I'd been let into a secret club, I had sisters approaching me asking quietly if I did something nice for my child's birthday and telling me I should have got a cake.

Good, looks like there is a lot of 'independent thinking' going on at grass roots level. That's great news PC.

• designs
    designs

We would rent a cabin over the Christmas break and have the friends up to the mountains for parties and skiing. Christmas day at the ski resort was packed with witnesses.

• Jaidubdub
    Jaidubdub

I have noticed the same sort of thing... Many jw's attending work Xmas lunches/dinners etc. posting pics & gifts they received, but calling them 'end of year' gifts or 'end of year' lunches/dinners...

Also have noticed many jw's going out & receiving/giving gifts to celebrate the day they were born, but calling it their 'special day' rather than their birthday... Also seen many jw's tagged on fb by non-jw's celebrating Xmas & birthdays... It's very common here...

• garyneal
    garyneal

My wife would just say, "They are just getting together because it is the one day they have off, so why not take advantage."

Regarding the "yearly gift" thing, she just tries not to do it saying, "...it's like getting as close to the fire as possible..." kind of thing. She tries very hard to an extent but does not kmow other witnesses well enough to see their hypocrisy. Also she is obsessed with the idea of taking trips, a Jehovah's Witness trait that appears to be a mechanism to compensate for all those enforced rigid rules of their's.

• garyneal
    garyneal

My sister-in-law likes to say "Happy Born Day"

Totally lame cover in my opinion.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

How many of them do things that, when put together, would amount to celebrating. Most of us find it natural to celebrate Christmas, and it's the pagan part that appeals the most. Some of them do buy presents, albeit not all of them and albeit that some of the gifts are useless such as ties, suits, and field circus supplies. Just think of the foods that go along with Christmas. How many witlesses eat turkey? Some enjoy eggnog, as well as pumpkin pie. Even if they are marketed as "sun worship" items--available only around Christmas and as a Christmas item. You see some driving around to look at the lights, even if they almost never put up any themselves. I even saw one witless, a hounder at that, with a chandelier (not a big one, though) with glass prisms dangling around the perimeter to a height of 1.8 meters above the floor (I myself hit one of them and busted a chip off one prism, and another had someone else do the same). I have seen worldly homes this past Christmas with less decoration on them.

I believe it is impossible to totally do away with all elements of Christmas without being a needless burden and being bad for one's health. No presents at all? That would mean no toys. Even allowing giving of necessary items to children that are dependents (such as clothing, food, field circus supplies, and so on), it would be miserable. And just start listing all the foods that are a part of some Christmas celebration--and don't forget those in New Zealand who use strawberries and kiwi fruit to celebrate Christmas. Before long, you are left with a rather boring diet--on the same level as those crash diets to lose weight. Beef, ham, turkey, eggs, chocolate, cherries, pineapple, green beans, Cream of Mushroom soup, cranberries, pie of all varieties especially lemon meringue and pumpkin, peppermint (and the Christmas variety is especially sweet), squash, yams, potatoes with gravy, and what not--and there are many other items to list. Do away with that, and what are you going to eat? And those colored lights--just try going into a store around Christmas, and you are going to be drawn to the Christmas display or be made sick trying to suppress it.

As for the Christmas songs, how many of the witlesses allow the non-Christmas ones? You know, songs that just go along with winter. Sleigh rides, jingle bells, and so on are more winter than Christmas. Yet, many witlesses think there is nothing wrong with listening to such songs. While they might not sing them (or, if they do, it is a total mistake), they still listen to them in public places. Which might have been a "there's nothing we can do about it" until the advent of the personal stereo that allows nearly endless music to go on. Auto-reverse cassette, then mini disc and portable CD, then MP3--except for at work where such are not permitted, today there is no excuse if anyone really wanted to avoid the Christmas songs.

Not that there is anything wrong with doing it. Just that so many witlesses are so pious that they don't do the whole thing, yet they participate in segments of it. As for me, I just go ahead and display Christmas lights, participate in Christmas events, play Christmas music on purpose (not just listen to it), and so on, and actually call it celebrating Christmas. And I do parts of it all summer--I have enough Christmas music on my MP3 player and on mini discs to enjoy all summer, and I get more light from my Christmas lights strung up throughout the apartment than I need (meaning the LED light bulbs I have see relatively little use, so I will probably die with 70 of them still queued up waiting to be used).

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

The Jehovah's Witnesses at the congregations on Bobier St. in Vista, California LOVE Christmas.

Watchtower Jehovah's Witnesses The Jehovah's Witnesses at the congregations on Bobier St. in Vista, California LOVE Christmas.

• steve2
    steve2

Just don't call it Christmas. It fools Jehovah and His Witnesses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit