I find I am Shunning my family !

by Phizzy 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Although I really hate the WT/JW Shunning policy, which especially huts those who have been DF'd, I find I am in a kind of way doing it to my JW family.

I do not include them in anything I do, in my own family gatherings, and I cannot be arsed to inform them of things going on in my family, or to even go and see them, unless really necessary.

This all adds up to a kind of "Reverse Shunning", and I do feel a twinge of guilt about it, but it is simply how things have become.

Do you, fellow Faders, find a similar thing happening ?

• cofty
    cofty

Ditto.

My parents rang last week when we were out and left a voicemail to say they were just calling to see how we were yadda yadda. It took me a week to get back to them.

• cult classic
    cult classic

When we first left the org, we didn't initiate contact for a few months. We'd decided that we needed time to get our bearings straight and clear our minds. It wasn't totally deliberate. But looking back we definitely shunned JW family and friends first.

• ?evrything
    ?evrything

I was talking to my GF yesterday about this. I was like 'wouldnt it be irconic if i beat them to the punch and shun them? Lmao'

I refuse to let them have any control over me.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

I don't think you are shunning you are just human. You know when you are not wanted and avoid people you know do not want you around.

• adamah
    adamah

Yeah, the irony is that despite all the talk of love, the JW religion attracts and encourages those who are already prone to push others away, a human trait that helps protect us from being hurt, since loving others involves placing our emotions at risk. It's all too easy to find excuses to push others away, in or out of JWs.

• Gayle
    Gayle

I think there's a difference if one decides 'personally' to not see a certain individual or individuals for personal reasons. But, when a group or organization imposes that on individuals with threat, then there's a problem.

There are times in life we meet an individual, that we realize they are short of character conducive for you, in positive influence or your inner peace.

• Angus Beef
    Angus Beef

Finding it hard to talk to my daughter. My husband and I spent Xmas with both our non JW families and loved it, even though they were all confused but glad we were there.... I am trying to hide the fact from my daughter that we were with family. My grandmother approached me Monday night and told me some of my people came to her door, "They'll be coming back" she said, I without thinking said, "don't you let them back in!" She was totally thrown. I've only told my mother of my plans to fade. Now my daughter knows of the couples visit to my grandmother's and they plan to return, I didnt know what to say. It comes around full circle real quick. Changing the subject is all I know to do.. but yes, I'm visiting less with anyone or talking to anyone from the hall because I'm afraid they'll read my face and know I'm out~!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Ditto to what Found Sheep said. It's only natural to stay away from toxic relationships.

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

Phizzy,

you might be surprised that alot of people shun their families who are NOT JW's. I have inadvertently been shunning members of my family for several years now. Where once we would get together and there would always be DEEP spiritual discussions, now there is simply family banter. I cannot move myself to engage in any more spiritual discussions where the ultimate end is ONLY what the organization states is the truth. Because of my recognizable shift away from these type of discussions, there is a palpable tension, so I have decided that to avoid tension in my life and the lives of others, I am better off not associating with them.

SOP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit