Generosity in the world

by DS211 8 Replies latest jw experiences

• DS211
    DS211

Well tonight my family and i went out to dinner. We ate, had a good time...then the time came for the check.

the waitress announced some old couple would pay our tab. Total strangers picked up our bill. Awesome. So in the car for a good 20 mnutes my wife kept saying "i am so baffled. I have never seen that happen in this town!!! I cant believe it! I shoukd write them a thank you note and send it to them." I wasnt at all surprised to see the generosity of a stranger. In fact you are more likely to see a nonjw stranger pick up a random persons tab than a JW. Am i right? Anyway it came at the perfect time and i thoroughly enjoyed the "witness" she received! :-) merry christmas indeed.

DS

• zeb
    zeb

I helped a slightly lost family from Switzerland the other day to find their desired business. They said i was a very kind man and insisted i take $5. and, you are among the first to know of this.

• DS211
    DS211

Lol awesome

• label licker
    label licker

That was nice:) Now your turn to pass it on to the next. That's what makes the world go round and round. Hopfully, that nice older couple weren't lonely with no family to go to.

We had neighbors come over with a loaf of bread and a bottle of homemade wine. As he was giving it to us he said he felt bad for us with not having christmas. The guy who doesn't believe in god says they came to break some bread and drink his blood. LOL. We know of another man who will prepare warm turkey dinners and drive and hour away to Toronto and feed homeless people on christmas day.

When we thought about our ten years in the racket religion, we never saw kindness done to us or others but only for the org beast. I'll never forget the time when someone's daughter had died leaving behind a three year old (who saw her mom die), the parents to the daughter and husband didn't even get a phonecall from their hall. It was disgusting. They go to your door preaching love and yet they practise hate.

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

Thank you for the post,

I have seen more generosity from "worldly" people than I have ever, repeat...EVER seen from Jehovah's Witnesses. There is a "teach a man how to fish" mentality that befuddles me. Sometimes a person can't wait to catch a fish because they are starving!

Good quote from the movie Angels and Demons, " My church feeds the hungry. My church comforts the sick and the dying. What does your church do?"

"Generosity must emanate from the soul, where one is souless, none can exist." -SOP

• CaramelQueen
    CaramelQueen

I totally agree. I have seen and personally experienced MORE kindness, sympathy and generosity from the so-called "worldly" people than the "Oh-so-righteous-J-dubs!"

Food for thought...

I'm just saying...

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

Nice experience. I like to pay for the coffee of the person behind me. I've had it done many times For me.

Many "worldly" people follow the Pay it Forward motto. Too bad most JW's prefer to help their own (even then, not much) and not those of the community they live in.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

It was never lost on me when I was a jw that the most generous people I ever knew were y non jw parents. People at work were also was more generous with their collecting for charities, picking up coffee on the way to the office, helping students organize charity drives and just generally helping and contributing. Then one night in the foyer of the kingdom hall was a big box of oranges from some jw's tree, and on it a big sign saying, "for pioneers only".

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I've seen generosity among the JWs, and received generosity when I was a penniless bethelite. But of the JW generosity that I've seen and received, it was never anything spectacular, and it only happened toward other JWs or to "give a witness." I've seen far more impressive generosity among nonJWs, because there are no strings attached.

And as I pointed out in a recent conversation with my parents, the generosity I've received in federal, state, and university grants is beyond anything I imagined would come my way. I'm glad that after I left bethel with no money, no unemployment benefits, no insurance, and no job references, the government and the school has been there to help me when I've really needed it the most in my life!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit