Can anyone help me trouble-shoot YouTube?

by Island Man 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Island Man
    Island Man

Today I notice that YouTube videos aren't playing most of the time. The YouTube page loads fine but the videos mostly don't start at all when I play them, remaining in a perpetual initializing phase that ends with a message saying an error occurred and the video cannot be played at this time or something like that. In some cases the video does start after a very long delay - exceeding 2 minutes - of the circular, strobing, initializing thingy. I'm only getting this problem with YouTube. Other sites are OK. And one more thing: I get the same problem if I try to play a YouTube video embedded in an outside page like on here.

Is anyone else getting this? What do you think could be the problem?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Could be youtube site, but more likely your connection or computer.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I'm not seeing reports of YouTube problems on sites like downforeveryoneorjustme.com, so I'm gonna also say it's your connection. Perhaps you have a type of connection that is shared across the community (I believe this is more common with cable than DSL) and lots of people in your neighborhood are online due to the holiday.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Sounds like a slow connection, youtube shows a TIMEOUT error quite quidkly if the connection is crappy, but firsr I would try a handful of things....

1. Install the latest ADOBE FLASH player,

2. Try Using Google CHROME or Apple's SAFARI instead of internet explorer.

3. Install apple quicktime, microsoft silverlight (that way you have all the major downloads you need for sure.. latest adobe flashplayer too remember!)

4. Internet background speed loss: despite ALL the above, I still say it sounds like a slow internet speed. If you have a good internet speed and provider, you may just have a heap of viruses, trojans etc running in the background, sending info all the time you are online and using your internet connection up so much you can't play videos. It happens and it is common. Two options really...

A. Go to your windows control panel and open the internet security icon (icon looks like a castle wall), first do an update then do a FULL scan of your computer.

B. Also download the free version of MALWARE BYTES and again, update it and then do a FULL conputer scan.

These last 2 suggestions are a good thing to do regularly anyway, maybe once a month. If any detect a virus/trojan or anything, just delete it. It is all easy enough and self explanatory. These 2 programs search every file on your pc for know virus files, when it finds one it shows you, usually in red lettering, clickon it and press 'delete' or the equivelant, maybe it says 'remove' for example. There may be an option to 'remove/delete all' or something to that effect, this is the button you want as somethimes there can be lots of files that need removing.

snare x

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Turn off all of your browsers and restart your computer. Sometimes your connection is just gonna be slow and your videos will not stream. Fortunately, if you have a high enough speed internet, that won't happen often.

• Island Man
    Island Man

Thans for the advice, all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit