How do you guys feel during the holidays?

by Joliette 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• Joliette
    Joliette

This is a very lonely time of year for me I admit it. I'm suppose to be going over my aunties house Wednesday after work. But going to Christmas/Holiday parties and get togethers, I still kinda feel out of place.

I really wish I grew up celebrating the holidays more. I got influcenced by it but never celebrated it. I left the kingdom hall back in 2010, and mentally I still am not a very 'fesitive' person . Not only did my parents not celebrate the holidays growing up, but then I had a grandfather who did allow his daughters to celebrate it (my grandparents were not J-dubs). But as far as I knew, he didnt believe in holidays and he thought work was more important than celebrating the holidays. Besides the holidays I have a birthday coming up on Feb 16th, I'll be 31.

I am free to celebrate the holidays now, but the holidays, not just Christmas, Thanksgiving, and New Years, but all of them, seem so forced and commericalized, captialized, etc. It just seems so....fake. If I have kids (which I dont) I dont care if they want to celebrate or dont. This lady that came to my job (I work at a hotel ) was telling me that its too expensive, especially Chistmas. She said that kids are very ungreatful nowadays. I still have mixed feelings.

My parents are so anti Holiday, anti Birthday that its hilarious. I dont care either way, and I never understood what was the big deal growing up. I mean if a person gives me a gift, I'll appreciate it. A lot of people did give me cards and gifts for my graduation from high school, and I deeply appreciated it. Buuuuut the J-Dubs in my congo and circuit were so hypocritical growing up when it came to graduation parties and bridal showers, wedding anniversaries, etc. OMG, I couldnt believe how they could flip the scriptures around to go in the directions that they wanted it to go. It made me sick to the stomach.

How do you guys feel?

• Jen1
    Jen1

Joliette I agree. I am fading. And have never been much of a party animal. Not sure if this is a natural thing anyway for me or a jw thing. Christmas day will be a lazy day. Looking forward to going out to my mums for a nice dinner. And tv and wine in the evening!

Tonight its our meeting not sure yet if going, do not want to , but? I do not feel like getting ready to sit through boring talks in a boiling hot hall. When I can relax at home tonight.

take care

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I grew up with holidays but turned on them with such a vengeance when i became jw and spat out so much anti holiday venom for so long I feel right awkward about them now, even though my family are very understanding of my post cult jitters and are trying to ease my transition. I figure, I've been without celebrations for so long, I'm in the habit of not caring about them. I also am coming up against the annoyances associated with them that I could easily avoid using religion as an excuse.

• factfinder
    factfinder

Very sad. Nothing is celebrated in my house.

• zeb
    zeb

Joliette: You are celebrating life now by living it. Yes parties are a lot of chinz and as you say fake but that is because you are mature at 31.

I just re read. My goodness they are a miserable bunch!

Yes bridal showers, graduations, and of course the almighty wedding anniversaries. Large bunches of silly sisters gabbing away 20 to the dozen and squealing out loud every 20 seconds. Give me a break! Why because they are not permitted to have fun or claim a success any other time and behave in this abderian way given the chance.Wedding rings hmm thats another pagan thing. Yes flipping the scriptures around to suit I agree with you fully.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Pretty boring around this house ......wife is still a dedicated dub so we "do not celebrate worldly holidays"..No where to go, it is all closed . Stay at home with T V and computer

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I met up for a festive lunch with one friend last week which I did enjoy and it was in a lovely country pub where the food was cheap. Another friend and I met up last week at lunch time for a quick bite to eat and exchanged presents. We couldn't stop long because we both had to get back to work. It was good to see them and catch up. We don't buy expensive presents because we are all single mums. I just get sick of the continuous TV adverts for stupidly expensive gifts Joliette that's all. I just take what I want from customs and holidays and leave what I don't want.

• caroline77
    caroline77

I just see it as a relaxing time to do what I want.

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

This year, I feel free. I can be true to myself and I have always loved Christmas. I was lucky enough to have a non-jw dad who did insist on mom and I getting into the spirit of things. I don't think my mom really minded to be honest!!! My grandparents were all non-jw's so we celebrated with them as well.

Just spoke to my JW mom, who said she was considering going on the ministry today. WTF!!! I told her you could'nt because it was Christmas Eve. She said, jehovah came first. I said it was'nt polite to disturb people on such a day. She's decided to stay home. Small steps..... I wished my non-jw stepdad Merry Christmas and it cheered him up no end, as he knows I am free.

I hope everyone on here has a happy holiday, whatever they have to do.

QCF x

• ohnightdivine
    ohnightdivine

I feel quite empty. I'm away from my family and can't make it home. Half of our congregation is away on vacation. What a coincidence, right..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit