Training the child regarding right and wrong

by man in black 5 Replies latest jw experiences

• man in black
    man in black

Interesting experience I had Friday morning :

Here is Illinois we had freezing rain, so while waiting for the train at 8:00 am people were slipping and sliding all over the place. I was on the platform, 5 minutes before the train pulled in, quite a few people were also waiting.

A lady ( about 40 years old) was holding onto her Mother, who looked to be in her mid 70's as they crossed the track platform.

Suddenly the Mother slipped and fell, I dropped my coffee and ran over to help her along with one other man. We each grabbed a shoulder and lifted the older lady up. She was more embarrassed than anything, but I walked her over to the platform shelter and we talked about where we each lived, and our families. Her and her daughter were so happy that us two guys helped her.

Now when something like this happens, I completely block out who is around, or what is going on, but as the train pulled up she hung onto my arm and we kept talking as we walked slowly to the train. Her daughter and I helped her get into the right side of the train car, and I wished them a good day. Then I turned and went into the left side of the car. As I sat down a young man who had a son of about four years old sat across the aisle from me. The boy kept asking his dad why are there colored lights wrapped around the light poles?

My antenna went up and I realized that the dad was a member of the hall I once attended. The little boy kept glancing over at me, and talking to his father. Suddenly the boy was asking questions about " that bad man" while looking at me, not anyone else on the train. ( remember, this is rush hour, so it is pretty crowded).

I got off the train about twenty minutes later, and he was still talking about the bad man. Standing in the vestibule, I looked back and the little boy was staring at me.

It kind of shattered me for most of the day. Helping an old lady who had fallen,is not important. Tell your kid that I'm bad because I no longer go to the hall is the most important thing.

Perhaps I'm reading into this too deep, but going back to the jw mindset. and knowing this dad when he was younger the story completly comes together

Ah yes, raising a child to believe in the jw way of thinking, what a wonderful thing, no wonder so many leave !

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

That is really awful.poor kid.who probably gets a wallop for not behaving at meetings. Be glad you are not part of that place anymore.oh and well done for being such a hero.xx

• clarity
    clarity

MAN in black, wonderful that you helped another person

who was at a disadvantage ...

Not much is more self confirming ... as when someone

reaches out to help you! Such a positive experience!

>

The contrast experience for you... ie little kid & father

sending a negative message out to the universe ...so

very negative that will bring the human spirit down!

>

Jw's are to be pittied.

clarity

• Open mind
    Open mind

Thanks for sharing this bittersweet event with us maninblack.

Half-way through reading it, I thought one of the ladies was going to be a JW and try "witnessing" to you.

A variation on this kind of situation that I'm sure you're familiar with is when a JW does a good deed and then tells the person they helped to make sure to "listen to JWs the next time they knock at your door".

Even as a true-believing JW, that kind of thing always seemed wrong at a gut level. I never could bring myself to "advertise" in that manner.

Here's to humans helping out fellow humans!

om

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

That's pretty messed up!! Poor little boy is being taught to hate others for no reason other then they are not JWs.

• rebel8
    rebel8

It's really sick to teach your kid that, let alone allow the kid to say it to your face and rant about it for 20 minutes in public. There is something deeply wrong with that family.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit