Duck Watchtowercy

by Defianttruth 23 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Defianttruth
    Defianttruth

With Phil Robertson getting the boot within a day of his comments by A&E, what would happen if the LBG community started calling all of the venue managers of their convention arenas and exposing them for the hate group they are today? Just a thought.

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

His comments are EXACTLY why I have come to detest Christians. Even those Christians who don't agree with what he said still share the blame for being part of such a bigoted philosophy. I personally have no sympathy for ANY Christians here who take offense at what I said. All the anti- gay hatred comes straight from the Bible. So anyone who still professes to believe the Bible is a closet hater at the least.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

I agree with what he said. I don't see how men can be attracted to other men. Gross. Nothing to do with hate. Anothing wrong with anti-gay sayings.

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

There was a time not long ago when most so-called Christians said it was Biblically wrong and 'un-natural' for two people of different races to marry. What would the public reaction be today if a prominent person stated those views in an interview?? Among educated people today, who are not under the sway of Bible-based bigotry, Robertson's anti-gay rantings evoke the same level of disgust. Fortunately, most young people nowadays see nothing wrong with same-sex relationships. Times change.....society evolves. Get over it!

• Gopher
    Gopher

I agree with what he said. I don't see how men can be attracted to other men. Gross.

I don't see how people can stand to eat stewed tomatoes. Gross. I don't like them, so there oughta be a law banning them for everyone and anyone so that my sensibilities will not be offended.

• Watkins
    Watkins

It's a touchy subject all right. Thing is - he was just stating his opinion. Everyone has the right to do that, but not everyone's bass-ackwards comments make the news. It's the media that's blowing this up - who truly gives a s#!t what one man's opinion is?!

Here's an excerpt from the original GQ interview which has not been quoted contextually in the media:

“We’re Bible-thumpers who just happened to end up on television,” he tells me. “You put in your article that the Robertson family really believes strongly that if the human race loved each other and they loved God, we would just be better off. We ought to just be repentant, turn to God, and let’s get on with it, and everything will turn around.”

What does repentance entail? Well, in Robertson’s worldview, America was a country founded upon Christian values (Thou shalt not kill, etc.), and he believes that the gradual removal of Christian symbolism from public spaces has diluted those founding principles. (He and Si take turns going on about why the Ten Commandments ought to be displayed outside courthouses.) He sees the popularity of Duck Dynasty as a small corrective to all that we have lost.

“Everything is blurred on what’s right and what’s wrong,” he says. “Sin becomes fine.”

What, in your mind, is sinful?

“Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men,” he says. Then he paraphrases Corinthians: “Don’t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers—they won’t inherit the kingdom of God. Don’t deceive yourself. It’s not right.”

During Phil’s darkest days, in the early 1970s, he had to flee the state of Arkansas after he badly beat up a bar owner and the guy’s wife. Kay Robertson persuaded the bar owner not to press charges in exchange for most of the Robertsons’ life savings. (“A hefty price,” he notes in his memoir.) I ask Phil if he ever repented for that, as he wants America to repent—if he ever tracked down the bar owner and his wife to apologize for the assault. He shakes his head.

“I didn’t dredge anything back up. I just put it behind me.”

As far as Phil is concerned, he was literally born again. Old Phil—the guy with the booze and the pills—died a long time ago, and New Phil sees no need to apologize for him: “We never, ever judge someone on who’s going to heaven, hell. That’s the Almighty’s job. We just love ’em, give ’em the good news about Jesus—whether they’re homosexuals, drunks, terrorists. We let God sort ’em out later, you see what I’m saying?”

Okay, so perhaps it’s not exactly shocking that a deeply religious 67-year-old hunter from rural Louisiana would have, shall we say, enthusiastic ideas about what constitutes good Christian morality. That’s the unspoken red-state appeal of Duck Dynasty.

Read More http://www.gq.com/entertainment/television/201401/duck-dynasty-phil-robertson#ixzz2o3VWT03J

He's just a dumbass who happens to be tv-famous. Do any of any of us really care? I don't. It's not news, it's a distraction from other things we really need to know, imo.

W~

• Watkins
    Watkins

ps - the LGB community would have a heyday with the watchtower and most other religions as well, and not only the so-called 'Christian' ones.

W~

• wearewatchingyouman
    wearewatchingyouman

That "dumbass" is a college educated multi million dollar businessman with multiple degrees. I'm not really a christian, but I'm not really lovin' this new trend where anyone who holds religious convictions is just doing it 'cause they're dumb.

• DJS
    DJS

The network for which he works and which pays him and his family well I imagine for being their redneck selfs has every right to expect the 'stars' of the show to NOT offend viewers, and to keep personal viewpoints to themselves. Certainly the patriarch had every 'right' to say what he said. He isn't in jail; he isn't being arrested or flogged or denied any civil rights. His EMPLOYER, who has a compelling reason to have their employees watch what they say (ratings, money, paychecks, etc.), has merely disciplined him for those comments.

As for Rattigan: it is about hate; stop fooling yourself. It's just like the DD patriarch saying he wasn't judging people he just lumped with terrorists and that god would take care of them. You are preaching hate as well. Open your mind; I am assuming you left the Borg. Keep moving away from it. You will like yourself a lot more when you lose the anger, hatred, judgmental attitudes about that which YOU personally think is offensive. Or that you based on what you have been taught or that appears in a book written by old men thousands of years ago. You have freedom of speech on this forum; but I think you are full of hate and bigotry. But attitudes like yours are changing. Fairly quickly. Let it come. And you and those like you (dead men walking) will be viewed as neanderthals a generation from now.

• DJS
    DJS

When you espouse your religious 'convictions' (another word in this instance for hatred, intolerance and bigotry) within your domicile or the domiciles of your brethren (I think they call those churces), nobody really gives a rip. When you take it out on the street, and that street is populated with all sorts of different people, many of which help to pay your salary and make you quasi-famous, and then rant about those you find abhorrent, don't be surprised when there is pushback. This hasn't anything to do with his religion or his 'christianity.'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit