Just caught my 7 yr old watching 'Calebs Aeroplane' think I overreacted

by not bitter 20 Replies latest jw friends

• not bitter
    not bitter

At least I think thats what its called. She was watching it at my parents house just now. I asked what she was watching on my mums tablet and mum said whilst laughing 'Oh sorry but she wants to watch bible stories' then all I heard was something about Jehovah and keeping rooms tidy. I quickly asked ''that had better not be Sparlock?''

Mum and dad didn't know what I was on about. It was the first thing that came into my head. Then I saw it was a plane and not a wizzard that the boy was playing with. I just told them I didn't want her watching those videos. They said oh its just about keeping your bedroom tidy and obeying your parents. I said that I still didn't want her to watch them.

I think I over reacted. I should have just left it alone. She won't understand what its all about ansyway when she knows nothing about the religion or Armageddon. It probably would have gone over her head. Instead I've just made my parents feel awkward which I didn't want to do.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

No you did fine, set the ground rules and expect them to stick to it. If you never have that conversation setting the ground rules then this is the shit that will get pulled behind your back.

The childs grandparents can be your worst nightmare as they view it as their god given right and duty to instruct the grandchildren in the ways of the cult at every opportunity unless you set the ground rules and enforce them without guilt or shame.

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

Just apologize. And keep your ears open.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I don't think you over reacted. It your right and duty as a parent to decide what your children see. The Watchtower has no understanding about what is or is not appropriate for young children, so you were right to be concerned. If you want to apologize to smooth things over, that is fine, but don't make then think they can involve your child in their religion. You could say "I am sorry if I hurt your feelings, that was not my intention, but I am very careful about what my daughter is exposed to, so check with me before you show her any videos". It doesn't have to be a big deal unless they make it so.

• Oh Gawd
    Oh Gawd

Don't apologize...It's your daughter and you have every right to enforce whatever rules you deem appropriate.

I take it one step(or maybe many steps) further...If my kids JW grandparents want a relationship with their grand kids then they need to behave. I have a zero tolerence policy when it comes to my kids being exposed to dangerous situations or information.

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

Your were right - you must have strict zero tolerance otherwise they slip something else in later and that will legitimize WBTS propaganda - I also have a 7 year old and I adopt a zero tolerance approach with my wife which has been successful. do not underestimate teh insidiousness of WBTS propaganda. All the best and remember protecting yoru kids from indoctrination must be yoru highest priority! Merry Xmas

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I asked what she was watching on my mums tablet and mum said whilst laughing 'Oh sorry but she wants to watch bible stories'

....We`re teaching our GrandDaughter..................Keep your Watchtower Crap..

........Jehovah is going to Kill You!!............................Away from My Children!..

............................................................................... photo mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• cofty
    cofty

You have nothing to apologise for. You should have zero tolerance for grandparents preaching to children, however subtly.

• not bitter
    not bitter

You are funny Outlaw

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I'd suggest that you have a better explanation. Depending on the child, I might go with, "We don't want her having nightmares about fire and rocks falling from the sky, or imagining that demons are hiding under her bed."

Otherwise, I would do a redirect. In my case, I'd say to my child, "hey, go to youtube and show grandma the new video we uploaded." Or something like that to completely shift the situation without any confrontation issues.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit