Personal rules I live by when talking to Christians

by free2beme 15 Replies latest jw friends

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

Wait... wouldn't you have spoken to more non-JW Christians who wanted to convert and/or heal you from the perceived falsehoods taught to you as a youth before your exit? Since you had to knock on doors?... This has only been happening after you've left?

Has this happened to anybody else on this forum...

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I usually don't talk to people about religion in person, it's such a touchy subject. I especially avoid it with fundamentalists, they tend to be very dogmatic and inflexible. I don't know if people like that are attracted to fundamentalism, or if fundamentalism makes them that way. It doesn't matter really.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

This problem may be geographical. No one discusses religion much in New York. It isn't worth the stress. There is so much diversity what would it accomplish. When I moved to a Bible belt in PA, almost everyone does. Mainstream religions, such as Lutherans, Anglicans, Presbyterians, Methodists, etc. dont' press the issue. Pentecostals and Baptists, along with smaller fundamentalist denominations, are constantly trolling for conversations. They assume that they can convince you. These people know few facts or even scripture. It is mostly a feeling thing. The local culture encourages this feelings aspect.

In PA, members of one group would actually interrupt people grocery shopping or doing laundry and ask, seemingly so interested, "What religion are you?" I fell for it. When I said, "Episcopal and signaled annoyance at the privacy intrusion," the person responded, "Well, I belong to the Christian church." I responded "Bully for you. I hope you are happy." Soon I was hearing the same story from my sister and other church members. So far they have converted no one and many are hoping for a chance to even the score.

I used a nice laundromat, run by a Mennonite. He dumped all the Avons and classifieds so we could only read Mennonite tracts. I sent him a note that I would now bring my own reading material. Further, if anyone opens a laundromat within the area and has regular magazines, I will take my business elsewhere.

Fundamentalists have poor boundaries. I never lived in such an area in my life. The experience was not pleasant. It is one of the reasons I left. Cultures change in America.

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

Botr, I'm imagining you were in Central PA. Not much to talk about in certain areas out there. While I attend different churches according to my moods, I was raised and confirmed in the Episcopal faith. Welcome!

I agree with Lisa on this... it's enough to agree that there's a higher power and to celebrate an agreement on that. The rest is opinion.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

My rule when I talk to christians: do not talk about religion (and don't let they talk too).

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I'm thinking the OP is having some very short conversations.

I try to find common ground,but then,I HAVE some as I am a believer. In God, anyway.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit