Christmas Songs?

by leaving_quietly 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

There are certain songs sung at Christmas time that have nothing whatsoever to do with Christmas. I've been reading lyrics lately to make sure, then I make comments to my uber-JW wife, who really, really hates what I'm saying. For example, the song, "Let it Snow" has nothing to do with Christmas. Not even a mention of anything remotely related to Christmas. It's a winter song. Kinda like a summer song sung by the Beach Boys or something like that. Nothing at all wrong with it. Same with "Winter Wonderland" (although "sleigh bells" is in there). Same with "Sleigh Ride" (the ring-ting-tingaling song, although it has a sleigh and something about someone's birthday, but nothing about Christmas.) What is it with these songs that are actually wrong in a JWs eyes?

• highroad
    highroad

I was actually just thinking about this myself. My family gets together every December for a Christmas "sing-a-long" party and I've been trying to figure out how I can get away with going this year since I've missed the last several. I was thinking that I can tell my husband that a lot of the songs we sing aren't even about Christmas. What's wrong with a sleigh anyway? A couple years ago I was in field service with my in laws and a little girl... We stopped at a McDonalds afterwards and got a happy meal for the little girl. The happy meal came with a Hello Kitty figurine on a sleigh and my MIL wasn't sure if she should let the girl have the toy because of the sleigh, which I thought was ridiculous. What does a sleigh have to do with Christmas? Is there something I'm missing?

I was was also thinking about how even though a lot of Chrisrmas songs are about the birth of Jesus, what's wrong with that? Even if Jesus wasn't born in December what's wrong with singing about his birth? Didn't the angels rejoice when Jesus was born? Not sure if these arguments will work with my husband, but it's the best I can come up with so far.

• blondie
    blondie

Let It Snow

Jingle Bells

Winter Wonderland

Sleigh Ride

Jingle Bell Rock

Frosty the Snowman

Marshmallow World

Sleigh Ride (just drop bd)

Baby It's Cold Outside

Winter World of Love

Wizards of Winter

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

Went to Austria one October.you have sleighs all year as they have lots of snow. Love love Christmas songs. Merry Christmas people xx

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

Went to Austria one October.you have sleighs all year as they have lots of snow. Love love Christmas songs. Merry Christmas people xx

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I actually hate most of these songs anyway... unless they are sung by Crooner's.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

I love Christmas music even though I'm not religious/Christian because it reminds me of my non JW childhood.

It was one of the few times my mentally ill parents acted happy, holidays & camping trips were the only time they were happy

• arwen
    arwen

My ex..wouldnt let me listen to Winter Wonderland as there was Pastor Brown in it..!! how sad is that!!

• stillin
    stillin

I hate that "it's just too close" business. I was raked over the coals back when I was "new in the truth" because I put a pumpkin and some maize corn on my porch in the fall time. Not a jack-o-lantern, a pumpkin! Too close, they told me. Not wanting Jehovah to destroy me because of my appreciation for things seasonal, I removed the offending items immediately.

Ancient pagans breathed, too. So we had better all not be breathing, it's just too close.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

It's rather nice to be free enough to sing a damn christmas song if you want to, without looking over your shoulder to see who is going to see you and report you to big brother. I am not religious, but I like music and some christmas music is very nice.

OK, all together now -- O HOLY NIGHT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit