"You need to witness to her about Christmas"

by DS211 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

I told my wfie that it was good enough for Rutherford from 1991 until qaat least 1926 (the date of the photo above) and according to the new light he was the one chosen by Jesus in 1919 as the FDS because he was the one providing the right spiritual food at the right time therefore by implication Jesus was giving Christmas a tick of approval! She hasn't said a thing against Xmas since.

• Watkins
    Watkins

The wt has changed it's teachings about 'celebrating' from what it taught decades ago. A relative of mine who had jw relatives when she was growing up said that they did go to the parties, but sat in another room while the festivities and present-opening went on. It was supposed to be a fine witness to the non-jws, but wow, what a burden to put on their young children. Yes, we can go to 'the party', but no, we can't 'party'. Weirdos. Seems their Grandma slipped the kids some little gifts 'under the table' - you go, Grandma!

W~

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Jgnat you said:

I notice that Witnesses brush that whole angelic host singing to the new-born King thing under the carpet (Luke 2). No shame in celebrating a birth.

This is simply too easy to refute from JW's. I'm not sure why its ever used. EVERYONE rejoices at a birth. its the reoccuring rejoicement that is apparently evil. JW's would say they have no problem with rejoicing at abirth, bringing presents (shower), flowers (hospital), celebrating, etc... That won't go anywhere.

Personally, I don't think we could ever make the jump to Christmas. I just think the JW's have something on it not being cool. In addition, the ridiculousness surrounding it, and the 4th quarter economic principles that drive it, just are not my favorite. So no tree in our house, although because it is part of the culture, I will most likely send some things to some of my clients.

Tell your wife that surely going to spend time with family on a day they happen to all be together cannot be wrong in and of itself. They know we don't do it, and won't be exchanging presents, and that should be good enough. In fact, we could be giving a bad witness by not being willing to bend when they already know our stance...

something liek that. My mother was a hard core JW with the best of them, but we always went to Thanksgiving because "that was when the family happened to be together". It was great. We all still go.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

DS i think you need to hit your wife bewteen the eyes with some TTATT go over the pionts that i bought out in my DA letter then ask her if the leadership is denying the rank and file all these things then how can this religion really be God's true religion.

• Pronger1
    Pronger1

Colossians 2:16 is about holidays of the Mosaic Law It isn't talking about other types of holidays.

• caliber
    caliber

Colossians 2:16 is about holidays of the Mosaic Law It isn't talking about other types of holidays.

So he basically said it was not a blanket statement about celebrating ANYTHING but rather a christian could or could not celebrate PAST JEWISH holidays without any problems. Is this correct.... Paul was arguing that the sacrifice of Jesus had done away with the need to obey the Jewish law?

16 Let no one, then, judge you in questions about eating or in drinking, or in respect of a feast, or of a new moon, or of sabbaths,

17 which are only a shadow of the coming things, and the body [is] of the Christ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit