Many christian faiths have an EARTHLY resurrection belief.....

by EndofMysteries 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

I was surprised to learn many other mainstream christian religions believe in a physical earthly resurrection. Even catholics.

It seems the belief is that as of now one goes to heaven to wait, then in the future will have an earthly resurrection.

Infact another interesting thing, is that most christian faiths banned cremation because of this belief. That cremation is a pagan practice and represents a denial of a belief of an earthly resurrection.

I'm surprised that cremation is allowed with JW's since it has pagan origins and even catholics had banned it until 1965.

• blondie
    blondie

Here is the WTS belief on cremation:

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102009085

When the Philistines defeated King Saul of Israel in battle, they irreverently fastened his dead body, as well as the bodies of his three sons, to the city wall at Beth-shan. However, the Israelite inhabitants of Jabesh-gilead, on hearing of this disrespectful treatment of the bodies, removed them and burned them, after which they buried the bones. (1 Samuel 31:2, 8-13) At first sight this account may seem to confirm the negative connotation of cremation. After all, Saul too was wicked; he fought against David, Jehovah’s anointed, and died in divine disfavor.

Yet, notice who died alongside Saul. One of his sons, whose body received identical treatment, was Jonathan. He was not a bad person. On the contrary, Jonathan was David’s close friend and ally. Of Jonathan, the Israelites recognized: “It was with God that he worked.” (1 Samuel 14:45) When David learned of the actions of the men of Jabesh-gilead, he praised and thanked them for what they had done: “Blessed may you be of Jehovah, because you exercised this loving-kindness toward your lord, toward Saul.” Evidently, the burning of Saul’s and Jonathan’s corpses did not disturb David.—2 Samuel 2:4-6.

(continuing)...The Bible gives no specific direction concerning what ought to be done with the bodies of the dead. Cremation is not condemned by Jehovah. Clearly, though, funeral arrangements should be dignified and respectful.

Something that might influence a person’s decisions in making these arrangements, however, is the way that the local community views funeral customs. Those who abide by Bible principles would certainly not want to do anything that would cause unnecessary offense to their neighbors. It would also be inappropriate to engage in a practice that might seem to indicate belief in false religious teachings, such as the immortality of the soul. These concerns aside, whatever decision a person might make as to how his own body, or that of another, is to be disposed of is really a personal or family matter.

• jgnat
    jgnat

If only the WTS used similar reasoning regarding birthdays.

My denomination, I believe EOM, believes there will be a New Heaven and a New Earth. I had always assumed the residents of the New Earth would be the survivors of Armageddon. Heaven's big enough for everyone else. Rev 6:14, Isa 34:4, Isa 65:17-25.

• Laika
    Laika

Yep, plenty of Christians who don't believe in a Hell either, but the Watchtower will lie to you about that as well.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

J.W's claim to be the one true religion. There are over two thousand churches and sects in Christendom.

The one true religion (Christian) must necessarily have a unique doctrine that is unarguably from the Bible, obviously an Earthly Resurrection is not unique to them.

What is I wonder ?

• clarity
    clarity

Oh yes watchtower tops the charts for uniqueness,

the biggest number of prediction failures ....they win!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahahhah

• Londo111
    Londo111

I attended an Old Testament Bible study at a United Methodist church and the pastor stated his belief in soul sleep (that the dead are unconscious) and an earthly resurrection in a physical body. Having been raised in this belief, I voiced my difference with this, but everyone was free to speak their viewpoint.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Did you get df'd??

DD

• BU2B
    BU2B

Guess the United Methodist Church isnt a cult then... Must be refreshing. Speak your opinion openly?? That is a foreign concept to JWs who simply "Listen, Obey, And be Blessed" No room for using your brain there!

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

At the 2001translation.com website there re doing the translation of the original Septuagint and they also have some interesting things to say about what they have learned on the subject while doing the translation work.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit