"Worship that God Approves" chapter 15

by A.proclaimer 9 Replies latest jw friends

• A.proclaimer
    A.proclaimer

This is the title of the 15th chapter in the "what does the bible really teach book". So I have to study this book and am doing it with an elder. After taking long breaks inbetween the study, this is the chapter that is coming up. This is the chapter that is suppose to convince you that this is the "truth". Anyway, I was looking for suggestions anyone might have so I can tackle this chapter. I don't fully agree with what it's trying to do and neither do I think there is a single true religion. I don't want to be too upfront or forward about this since I have expectations to meet (I'm born and raised in this religion so I'm expected to be in agreement). But I want to do it in a more subtle way, whether its disagreeing with somethings or putting in questions about certain things or raising certain points. Any suggestions?

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

First of all, why do you 'have' to study it with an elder? If you don't believe it, why do it?

• A.proclaimer
    A.proclaimer

I have family reasons, and from people in the congregation.

• smiddy
    smiddy

You could probably start with a question for the elder , well what DOES the bible really teach ? In the 130+ years of JW interpretations of what the bible teaches , it constantly changes from one year to the next .What JW`s beleive today was not what they beleived just a few years ago , and every few years you go back you come across the same thing .

smiddy

• pbrow
    pbrow

Proclaimer....

The next time it comes up in your study you could ask him to show you from the bible and the bible only how you get to 1914. (It should be simple right?)

pbrow

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I would ask why half the world have not heard of Jesus or Jehovah, if there is only one way of worship that God approves of. The creator is powerful enough to make everyone aware of the Watchtower, if following the Faithful Slave is a requirement of worshipping God, so why do so few people have access, or knowledge of what the Watchtower teaches? Why were you so lucky to be born into the true religion, and what did Chinese, Indians, Arabians, Asians, etc do wrong that they will never meet a JW?

• A.proclaimer
    A.proclaimer

Thanks guys! I was thinking of bringing up some of those points; the changing doctrines, 1914 (I'm rearching those topics and gathering information). Some of those question you asked jwfacts have gone through my mind before. It would be good to bring them up, thanks.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

The best way to deal with this is by asking: How can God disapprove or approve the things that we do, to where he will take action sometime based on those actions, but he lets the Phillippines and other places get destroy by storms, not for what they did. Is that so arrogant to think that we matter that much to where God is watching what we do, and that we have his attention, but he does not are about what else is going on?

Changing doctrines and 1914 are off the subject. Stick to the subject and inquire as to why worship that he does approve has not saved anyone,

people have died over the past 6000 years.

• Splash
    Splash

That chapter starts well - it really emphasizes focussing on the teachings of the Bible itself. Here are a few ideas.

You could ask why they are called 'Jehovah's Witnesses" which is a man-made title (albeit based on an Old Testament verse), when "by divine providence" the early Christians were simply known as 'Christians' - Acts 11:26. Which is better? Which is God approved and the precedent set?

Para. 5: "By their fruits you will recognize them". "Every good tree produces fine fruits". So does this mean a person producing good fruits (eg Mandela!) is a good person, as the paragraph indicates? If not, why not? - Did he (and others) not follow the Golden Rule, and imitate the good Samaritan?

Para 6: If JW teachings are based on the Bible, why do the teachings change? Where do the incorrect teachings come from? How do we know that the current teachings are also incorrect and subject to change? None of the Apostels writings are wrong, so why is the written WT wrong? If "the truth doesn't change, only our understanding of it changes", then why havent we been teaching the truth? Is it acceptable to Jehiovah that we have been teaching falsehoods for so long (over 100 years in the case of the new FDS teaching).

Para 6 or 11. "Hence, beliefs and practices of the true religion are not based on human views or tradition. They originate in God’s inspired Word, the Bible." Ask if Jesus is your mediator. They should say No (w08 12/15 p. 13 Appreciate Jesus’ Unique Role in God’s Purpose), so why do you then pray 'In Jesus Name"? And what does 1 Tim 2:5 mean "For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, a man, Christ Jesus" - Note 'Men' here is defined in the preceding verses - ALL men, not just anointed. Why are beards banned - scriptural or man made rule? Penalties for getting higher education is another one - scriptural or man made rule?

Para 9 - showing love among yourselves. Ask if this includes showing love for others? The answer will be "Yes, by means of the preaching", then ask "how, as an organisation, do you fulfill the example of the Good Samaritan - helping our 'neighbours' in practical ways?

Para 12 "True worshippers are no part of the world". How about Daniel? Joseph? The army officer of Matt 8? The court official Ethiopian eunuch? Tax collectors? etc.

Para 15 "Simply believing in God is not enough to please him" So why does John 3:16 say "everyone 'believing' in [Jesus] will have everlasting life"? with 'believe' being translated correctly from the Greek (instead of 'excercise faith') as seen in the previous verse, 15.

Para 16 - no taking part in false worship. How can we wear wedding veils and rings, 'cut the wedding cake', but not throw confetti? Why do we still hold to 1914 which was determined by CTRussell basis the pyramids? Why have the WT often quoted Greber who was a self confessed spiritualist?

Para 20 "The Bible teaches that God will soon bring an end to this wicked system". So Ask "when is soon?" Is it your lifetime? Those alive in 1914 were told it was in their lifetime too, so why are we now any more accurate than back then? Why have the WT been saying "deliverance is at hand" for over 130 years?

Splash.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Read 1 corinthians chapter 1 and then read chapter 11 read the whole book would be better, but reading these two chapters it will become clear to you that we are not to follow a person or religion (sect) but christ and also it will become clear that there will be alot of sects religions but the righteous ones will manifest themselves. Not a righteous religion or sect but righteous ones. Paul basically saying we should not get hung up on a religions or its leaders.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit