Baptism Requirements vs What the Bible ReallyTeach

by bruh 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

Watchtower - 1985 Jun 1 p.30

"The first question is:
    On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

The second is:
    Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization? Having answered yes to these questions, candidates are in a right heart condition to undergo Christian baptism."

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

The latest understanding is:

Three times (3 x) you get asked question #1 — then, at the actual baptism ceremony for the first and only time, the second question.

2012 The Watchtower, October 15, pages 30, 31

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

Oddities of the baptism ritual (Two witnesses rule not observed):

So there is a way open for both men and women who do not have access to baptism, either because circumstances do not allow for it or because a dedicated male is not present. But by making a valid dedication and going on record publicly before any other dedicated ones present he or she is now recognized as dedicated. But it does not appear Scripturally proper for a sister to try to perform a baptism.

In connection with baptism, it may also be noted that a baptism may be performed by a dedicated male even though no other human witnesses are present. There are Scriptural precedents in the cases of Jesus and of the Ethiopian eunuch to show this. And since prayer is properly offered prior to the immersion, there are always heavenly witnesses.

w73 8/1 p. 480

Field service records before baptism?

In view of these examples, should a record of preaching be required today before baptism? There is no such requirement. No rules are laid down in this respect. However, in order to be baptized as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, a person is required to meet with elders in his congregation and to show in discussion with them that he really understands and appreciates the fundamental teachings in the Bible.

w76 6/1 p. 351

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Sorry Blondie and others, I expressed my point badly above, what I should have said was that in the Vows there is no mention of being baptized in the Name of Jesus Christ.

The following is from the jw.org site:

• "When people become Jehovah’s Witnesses, they are baptized in the name of Jesus.—Matthew 28:18, 19 ". As you can see from the vow Blondie quotes above, this is not true, it is only a very oblique reference to Jesus' sacrifice that is made, not being Baptized in his name as the site claims.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Does anyone have a list of the 80 questions?

• blondie
    blondie

and the holy spirit is not mentioned in 1985; only a spirit-directed organization.

I have the 80 questions in my Lamp book...don't know how to scan. There are more questions now.

http://www.strictlygenteel.co.uk/lamp/lamptitles.html

• jgnat
    jgnat

It's all in the "Organized to do Jehovah's Will" book. 104 questions broken down as follows:

Elementary Bible Teachings (35)

Jehovah's Righteous Requirements (37)

Jehovah's Arrangement of Things (32)

http://dciscorp.com/qwotes/reexamine/organizedtodojehovahswill.pdf

The baptism questions start on p. 182. My favorites are the directions regarding personal hygiene (p. 137) and avoiding shaking hands if you have an infectious disease (Part II, Q. 9, p. 196)

• jgnat
    jgnat

My denomination separates baby dedication from membership from adult baptism (immersion).

Baby dedication includes a solemn vow by the parents and the congregation to watch over the child, followed by a prayer.

Membership includes a class, interview with the elders (board), and small ceremony. This would be equivalent to the "organized" book I would think.

Baptism is dedication to God, and the only qualifications are the same as listed in the book of Acts. Several baptism ceremonies are held every year, and even those who spontaneously decide to dedicate themselves on the day are welcomed. It is much more personal than what the Witnesses do, and if the candidate has a small testimony to share that is welcomed, or he may pick a mentor to speak for him.

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

The 2005 "Organized to Do Jehovah’s Will" book has way more questions, starting with page 182.

http://www.dciscorp.com/qwotes/reexamine/organizedtodojehovahswill.pdf#page=182

jgnat >>> you are way faster than me

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit