Have you ever scared the crap out of someone?

by Nathan Natas 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I grew up terrified of demons. We had an overseer from Britain and he would play JW tapes of demonic activity. Witnesses related how the tea pot went flying around the room. I was preteen. Once my aunt told me a story that a woman with a long walk home who feared rape. When she finally arrived home, she felt safe. A hand grabbed her and she was raped. She was so afraid she could not scream. Perhaps it my age and the fact that I had to walk around a violent city myself but her tale hit home.

I had no idea what a demon looked like. My father never finished a wall between my sister's room and my room. It was open through the closet. There was no air-conditioning. He wanted the space open for cross-ventilation. I was busy with school work. Suddenly, the closet door opened. Mr. Demon appeared. I shreiked over and over again. My younger sister had crawled through to spook me. I did not see a demon so they don't exist. It took a while for my brain to process that it was my kid sister. I was beyond terror.

Thanks to my sister, I found out that I need not fear not screaming. My parents rushed up to see what was happening. I received a severe beating for screeching. My father would not listen to me explain that I thought a demon was in the room. The entire family remembers what happened clearly to this day. A black friend told me she was raised not to fear demons b/c you can rebuke them in Jesus' name. We were taught that they will bother you and trip you as you walk b/c you are a faithful Witness. They will also bother you if you are not faithful. I knew which camp I was in instantly. For many years, I had a demon patrol going at night time. I constantly scanned behind door hinges, closet doors, and shower curtains. It was very hard to go to sleep b/c I was so afraid. Electric utilities have profited from the demon scare. I can't burn enough lights.

There must be psychology studies of the role demons play in religion. The Witnesses appeared to have no confidence that Satan would be defeated. I was also taught that hearing voices or hallucinating signified demon attacks. My mom had a human hair wig. I wondered. Teaching about mental illness would be easier, in my view.

The kid sister part is funny. The other parts are very sad. I'm only revealing this here b/c maybe some other teens/kids were terrified too. My mom said she did not believe in them. I did not. The stories in the WT, particularly the British ones, scarred me. Violence seemed every place in my life. Home and school were violent. The KH was in a very bad neighborhood. I hated going there. Plus high school classmates could see me enter the KH. Fortunately, we moved away. If am under intense stress, I may still scan behind doors. Most of the time I pay it no mind.

I wish I could write that I scared the crap out of my sister as revenge. She told me a few months ago that she stayed awake, lookng out, too. We used to share a room. If I had known, one of us could have rested while the other one was busy on patrol.

Raising a child in this religion is an act of abuse in itself. Other kids had camp outs and told safe ghost stories. We heard about the end of the world from a terror God. Satan ruled the world. Need I repeat all the themes in the orange Paradise Lost book? Others here know what I mean. I purchased one from Amazon recently. I wish all born-in children of my age could bring a class-action suit for severe emotional damage against the author and the WTBTS. Frankly, I find the illustrations that haunted my young years so funny and tacky. The book is almost camp.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

SFPW,

My husband startles so VERY easily. I don't weigh very much so when I walk it is rather quiet but I do not tip toe or sneak. If he is in a rom with his back mostly to me and I stand in the doorway, or begin walking towards him and he catches sight he jumps out of is skin! He used to get angry at me for years that thinking I must have been doing that on purpose. I explained, how could walking normally into a room purposly scare you?

Sometimes I get all the way close to him before he sees me then begin to speak, same jump like he is about to scream.

I wonder sometimes what that Children's book of Bible Stories, those such as the Orange Paradise lost books did to him.

I am sometimes startle, but rarely. And I never get upset about it unless I know it was an intentional way to try to scare me.

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

This is REALLY weird. I was staying with my Mum and son in a hotel abroad about 10 years ago. She is deaf and wears a hearing aid. One night, she woke me up with her snoring. After trying to go back to slee[. I got out of bed and poked her gently, hoping that she would turn onto her side and stop snoring. She woke up then and said "Oh Jehovah, please help me" and carried on some mumbled praying.WFT!!! I think I was more freaked out than she was.

• Simon
    Simon

LOL, that reminds me of a time Ang got her own back even though it wasn't intentional.

Again, after watching a scary movie, I get woken up in the middle of the night by her almost screaming and pointing into the corner of the room saying "it's there, there - IT'S THERE !!" after which she immediately rolls over and continues zzzzzzzzz.

Of course I'm then awake for the next hour with my heart pounding which she slumbers peacefully and blissfully unaware.

• KateWild
    KateWild

I am a little bit concerned that I feel no guilt about that one!-cofty

So you should you pioneer liar liar pants on fire. Kate xx

• cofty
    cofty

??

• Jaidubdub
    Jaidubdub

Lol Crofty...

• Pyramid God
    Pyramid God

Yes, many times. I was a big fan of practical jokes when I was a teenager.

When I was around 15, I made a sort of camoflage suit called a ghillie suit, similar to ones that hunters or snipers use to stay hidden. It turned out so well that when I would lay down in tall grass or brush I would look just like a pile of foliage. On several occasions people actually stepped on me when I was wearing it. What do you think I used this for? To scare the crap out of people of course.

I liked to take it to big outdoor events like campsites or corn mazes and use it to suprise people. The best trick was to lie motionless while someone walked toward me, and when I heard them getting close, I would just rise up off the ground menacingly and saunter toward them. I nearly gave an older couple a heart attack doing that. I feel bad about that one.

Another time I snuck up on a campfire in a group of people, and when I was close I walked out on the periphery of the group. They would see me and freak out and try to follow me to see what I was. I would run into the undergrowth in the woods, and when I'd gone far enough I'd simply disappear by laying down. That really creeped people out.

My other favorite time using the suit was in a corn maze. I would hide in the corn and then follow people at a distance, and when they noticed me I'd disappear back into the corn. Got lots of screams from that. Those were some good times.

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

Had an old wooden cabinet of sorts that was large enough for a 16 yr old kid to fit into. We had several of our local Jw friends staying over and we started talking about stories we had heard from the others in the past about spirit creatures, demons etc and when he left the room for a bit, my brother and I hatched a plan.

My brother hid inside the cabinet and waited a bit for us to get back into the story telling. After a bit he started scratching lightly inside the cabinet and would pause A Bit then come back a with some more each time getting slightly louder and louder each time. After he started really making some noise and rocking the cabinet a bit.

A young brother started saying rather loudly " In the name of Jesus, I command you to get out!!"

My brother hears this and stops all actions. Then the brother starts telling us that this is what you have to do,.. Blah blah, and then at the perfect time my brother really turns it up, rocking the cabinet and slamming his fist on the inner walls to give that brother something to think about.

He pretty much freaked out and we, to his relief, told hi what was going on and the he was embarrassed a bit

NJY

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Once at the Museum of Modern Art they highlighted an artist who did very lifelike sculptures of people. The exhibition was fun. People were caught in scenes that froze time. They were so lifelike it was amazing. After going through several galleries, I turned my attention to a sculpture of a little girl with a milk bottle in her mouth. Other people were looking at the sculture. Suddenly, the sculpture moved. It was no sculpture. Someone had place their live child on the ground. I jumped. We laughed. I don't know whether the parents did it to make some art statement. Perhaps they were too tired to carry her.

I don't believe I've ever tried a practical joke. My creativity is not good.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit