Rutherford Says 1925 Was Just His Opinion

by baldeagle 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• St George of England
    St George of England

@Crazyguy

I thought it was Clayton J Woodworth that said that.

George

• blondie
  • St George of England
    St George of England

@blondie

That's very interesting, I never knew that about Rutherford.

I have only read Ken Raines account of C J Woodworth and his battle with spirits talking to him.

George

• designs
    designs

What, King David toured San Diego and I missed him!

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Watchtower scholar Greg Stafford gives a thorough historical review and treatment of Watchtower eschatalogy and chronology in his book "Three Dissertations on the Teachings of Jehovah's Witnesses", available at elihubooks.com

• baldeagle
    baldeagle

To Ultimate Axiom: Thanks for those 1922 WT references

From jwfacts: The 1980 yearbook also dishonestly misquotes what Rutherford said. The actual quote from the Watchtower 1926 p.196

"Question: Have the ancient worthies returned?

Answer: Certainly they have not returned. No one has seen them, and it would be foolish to make such an announcement. It was stated in the "Millions" book that we might reasonably expect them to return shortly after 1925, but this was merely an expressed opinion;
    besides it is still shortly after 1925."

Thanks jwfacts: I looked up the entire quote in the Watchtower 1926 p.196. Rutherford’s complete answer to that question was:

"Question: Have the ancient worthies returned?

Answer: Certainly they have not returned. No one has seen them, and it would be foolish to make such an announcement. It was stated in the "Millions" book that we might reasonably expect them to return shortly after 1925, but this was merely an expressed opinion; besides it is still shortly after 1925. There is no good reason why we should expect the ancient worthies to return until the church is complete and the work of the church on earth is done. At this time the work is not complete, and it is quite evident that many of the members of the body of Christ are still here."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit