When Organized Religion Becomes a Cult

by dazed but not confused 6 Replies latest social current

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

I saw this mentioned in a post. I thought it deserved a thread of its own. I liked how this article reasoned with the reader how a religion can cross over into cult territory very quickly.

"The harm stems from a system that shuns and ostracizes adherents that don't accept their exclusive claims to truth. That is where conventional religion becomes a potentially harmful cult. Forcing people to conform by using the subtle threat of social alienation is a form of coercion."

"Any religious community can become a cult. It's not about how faith is expressed in a community but more importantly how people are treated if they want to leave and disbelieve."

Full article here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eliyahu-federman/when-organized-religion-become_b_3996139.html

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

There is a 6 min chilling video at the end of the article.

I want to share this article so badly with my mom and sister, but sadly, I think it will push them farther away from me.

• clarity
    clarity

thanks ... I understand exactly what she was saying,

but hate the fact that I do!

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

JW's = cult thread number 2,398.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Great quote. Thanks for sharing with us! Don't give up on your mom and sister.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

marked

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Me too Clarity, me too.

Yes yadda yadda, I know there are many JW’s = cult threads. I just liked this article.

Oubliette – I wont give up. I will just have to be more creative trying to get them to think.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit