As far as the Watchtower goes, how should an adulteress be punished?

by I_love_Jeff 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• I_love_Jeff
    I_love_Jeff

Should we use Jesus' advice John 8:7 or God's advice
    Leviticus 20:10?

• KateWild
    KateWild

Excellent point ILJ,

Do you believe the bible is from God? If so the law of Moses has been nailed to the stake with Jesus, so many would say that one should apply John 8.7. However JWs view this as spurious text anyway.

IMO, the bible was written by men to control women, and the vulnerable. Take the good from it that you can, I like Matt7.12, and ignore all the nonsense.

Sam xx

• Outgoing454
    Outgoing454

It's not the same across the board?

Personally know of one in Ohio that

was just marked, and lost privileges.

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

NWT (2013) John 8:7 revision:

• tec
    tec

If one wants to punish an adulteress according the law... then one should expect that the law will also be used to judge them. Since there are NONE who have not transgressed the law, and since 'by the measure you use, it will be used against you'... one might want to consider showing mercy and forgiveness and love (the law written on hearts and consciences).

Show mercy, receive mercy.

I just don't see anyone who judges others... would want to also be judged by the same measure they are using against other people. Because it doesn't matter if you never committed adultery, but instead perhaps bore false witness; or showed no mercy, or did not forgive. If you want to BE forgiven and shown mercy, then be forgivING and merciFUL.

Peace,

tammy

• apostatethunder
    apostatethunder

We all know the WT prefers the Old Testament ways, figuratively stoning her.

This actually reminds me of three episodes in the Old Testament which they don't seem to have a conflict with, as they have never been explained properly at the meetings:

1. When Samson went to a prostitute.

2. When Josua's two spies spend the night in the house of a prostitute.

And 3. When Judah wanted to stone Tamar after leaving her pregnant believing she was a prostitute.

They seem to be more in tune with the Old Testament's spirit, where apparently men didn't need to be free from sin to the same extent as women for some strange reason.

The punishment ought to be the scorn of her family and the community, and nothing more than that.

• Stand for Pure Worship
    Stand for Pure Worship

Can't remember the WT/G article, however it went on to say in more words or less that apostates should be executed but since we're living in times where doing so would be illegal, shunning will have to suffice. Same mentality goes with any random sin you can think of. Couple years back at the Elders school an example was used about the Israelite executed for collecting sticks on the Sabbath. The speaker went out of his to urge those of us in attendance, that when rendering judicial decisions we should err on the side of caution. When I say, caution, I don't mean with empathy or sympathy towards the person being judged, but with fear that leniency might anger Jehovah. In other words, regardless of the reason(s) a person ended up in trouble, we should make an effort to see things how Jehovah sees such. If the Old Testament provides any clue on what that means, I'd say elders should probably DF a whole lot more than they put on reproof.

• jam
    jam

Afghanistan plans to reintroduce public stoning.

Nov. 25, 2013 www.telegraph. co.uk/news/worldnews.

• Stand for Pure Worship
    Stand for Pure Worship

Well, if Jehovah's Witnesses ever get a foothold in predominantly Muslim countries and the fundamentalist sects accept them despite being infidels, expect judicial committees to closely resemble Sharia Law.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit