CO explaining at Circuit Assembly how to measure neighbourly love

by Daniel1555 20 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

The account of the Good Samaritan is even better than the scripture in James because we have the equivalent of a non-jw helping a jw where Jesus was explaining who our neighbor is, a non-jw. Jesus puts the Jew to shame and in forward context, jws. jws would have walked on by their fellow believer and allowed the "worldly" man to show mercy. That's what jws do now, expect jws to go their family, Red Cross, food banks, and other non-jw sources and then give platitudes to their fellow jws.

(Luke 10:29-37) 29 But, wanting to prove himself righteous, the man said to Jesus: “Who really is my neighbor?” 30 In reply Jesus said: “A certain man was going down from Jerusalem to Jer ′ i·cho and fell among robbers, who both stripped him and inflicted blows, and went off, leaving him half-dead. 31 Now, by coincidence, a certain priest was going down over that road, but, when he saw him, he went by on the opposite side. 32 Likewise, a Levite also, when he got down to the place and saw him, went by on the opposite side. 33 But a certain Sa·mar ′ i·tan traveling the road came upon him and, at seeing him, he was moved with pity. 34 So he approached him and bound up his wounds, pouring oil and wine upon them. Then he mounted him upon his own beast and brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 And the next day he took out two de·nar ′ i·i, gave them to the innkeeper, and said, ‘Take care of him, and whatever you spend besides this, I will repay you when I come back here.’ 36 Who of these three seems to you to have made himself neighbor to the man that fell among the robbers?” 37 He said: “The one that acted mercifully toward him.” Jesus then said to him: “Go your way and be doing the same yourself.”

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Yes, that's such a switch from today when we are bombarded with requests for giving to the WT international work, and locally. They don't even want us to put strings on our donations such as to apply the funds to the Phillipines Releif work. Just give to the Society and they will control our money.

It all seems so suspicious, when they even want to control our monetary gifts like that. I want to help the Phillipines but I just can be bothered to give my contribution to the Society. I gave my money at a local Bank that specified their intentions.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Thank you Blondie for posting this quote: 'He may justly feel that he is already using all his available resources in a charitable work, that of preaching the good news of God’s kingdom, and that therefore he is not under obligation to contribute to other forms of charity.'

I distinctly remember statements like this in past WT publications that prevented and suppressed the rank and file from giving to charitable organizations.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

And an elder had the hide to tell me it wasn't a results-oriented organisation. Blind fool!

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

They have no understanding of the hierarchy of needs. In a nutshell, in order to learn, you need a full belly and be feeling safe and well. It's all very good to give a starving child in Africa 'Bible truth' that will lead to eternal life, but how is he or she going to 'study' and that if he or she is starving to death? The WT says it doesn't want to make 'rice christians' who come along just for a free feed, but Jesus didn't make that distinction when he miraculously fed thousands of people. Which the WT believes he did.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Notice how they further discourage JWs from giving to charitable organizations by saying:

'He also might well reason that his money will do more good if spent in some other way, in view of the large overhead that certain charitable organizations have' (11/1/61 WT pg 672 QFR)

What does WT call all those massive real estate holdings with the large amount of personnel to house and run them and the massive amount of equipment and furnishings to maintain. If that isn't a massive amount of overhead, what is?

Sure would like to see a detailed accounting of how much of JWs donated funds to WT goes to maintain all this overhead verses how much actually goes to help the needy among the ranks of JWs who are victims of disasters!

My guess is a very high percentage of donated funds, even those earmarked for disaster victims, goes to making life for the GB, their helpers and the rest of the Bethelites more comfortable......not to mention the amount of donated funds that is used to pay the large overhead that WT has in the form of 'hush money' for victims of child molestation and for the enormous legal expenses and settlement figures associated with pending child molestation cases.

• jemba
    jemba

Real-life experiences from around the world demonstrate that when people understand and follow the Bible’s practical counsel, they are better equipped to deal with the daily problems of life, including poverty

Oh of course, all those Africans dying of starvation just need to become Jehovahs people and the bible will lead them to food and a comfortable life, its all their own fault for not believing in Jokehovah....Of course!!... Why cant they see that??

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Now, a more practical example. You are at Walmart, doing shopping. Abruptly, the lights go out. You hear a loud thud shortly after, which turns out to be the generator going dead. Would it be more helpful to those around you if you pull out a Fenix flashlight and guide them out of the store, or pull out some littera-trash and start prosyletizing? If you really care about the people stuck in the place, you might guide the security guard to where the flashlights and batteries are, so they can distribute those to the employees to help customers out, or you could yourself help customers to exit the store.

On the other hand, if you really care about being pious, you would try to place wastes of paper and washtowel rags in their hands in pitch dark. Which will not do them any good if they stumble on a display, split their heads open on the floor, and die. Hey, at least they got the washtowel littera-trash, never mind that a good flashlight could have prevented that fall in the first place.

• Emery
    Emery

Recuit, recruit, recruit.

• Oogie
    Oogie

i now give change to the homeless because i know its the right thing to do, i always knew, but never did because the big 'a' was a comin'.

i feel like i'm helping people just by doing that more, than i ever did as a door-knocker.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit