A month to go until 2014

by ballistic 16 Replies latest jw friends

• ballistic
    ballistic

A month to go until 2014

It's quite a big year (2014) for ex-jws. You can tell because if you search for 2014 on the forum, the significance of it being 100 years since 1914 has not been lost on ex-jws some of whom pointed out the proximity of it, around 10 years ago. Well it's now just an "apostate advent calendar" away.

I haven't been on the site enough lately to know if the significance is even acknowledged by the Watchtower, but I don't care so much these days.

But, while that may be the case, I'm sure I'll be at a New Year party at the end of this year (or some random pagan gathering) and thinking, "yep - I'm still here, what happened?"

• Tiktaalik
    Tiktaalik

2014 will be much more significant to the ex-jw communty than it will be to the jw true believers.

The wts laid the groundwork for this when they made up the overlapping generations confection, back in the 90s.

2014 will come and go, and the wts will go on fleecing its members, speculating on real estate, avoiding taxation, and banking the profits, just as it's always done.

• blondie
    blondie

Remember that the WTS counts years from fall, Sept/Oct, to the next year. That's why the service starts in September. Supposedly to mirror the Jewish calendar. It is also why the annual meeting is in October.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Blondie, does that mean we are now in what they consider 1914? Or does that mean that "1914" doesn't start unitl October 1914?

PS, my money says that they'll start out the year with a lot of talk about how far we are into the end, and sometime this summer we'll here about the "1914" year not starting until October. They'll come up with some other line of manure after that.

• blondie
    blondie

That is correct JeffT, the WTS counts time from the fall of the year to the fall of the next year. That is why they point to October 1, 1914, as the beginning of the fulfillment of the Jesus enthronment (except for that prior 1878 date). (Remember I am just reporting what the WTS has said...it does not imply I personally support it)

*** w07 11/1 p. 24 par. 11 The Word of Jehovah Never Fails ***

What of our time? On Friday morning, October 2, 1914, Charles Taze Russell, who took the lead at that time among the Bible Students, strode into the dining room at Bethel in Brooklyn, New York. “Good morning, all,” he said cheerily. Then, before taking his seat, he joyfully announced: “The Gentile times have ended; their kings have had their day.”

*** w12 8/1 p. 17 When Did Jesus Become King? ***

October October

607 B.C.E. 1914 C.E.

← 2,520 years →

1000 B.C.E. 1 B.C.E. 1 C.E. 1000 C.E. 2000 C.E.

← 606.25 years →← 1,913.75 years →

The kingdom Use your calculator: God makes Jesus

in Jerusalem 606.25 a King with power

is destroyed + 1,913.75 over the nations

= 2,520

*** it-2 pp. 899-900 Seventy Weeks ***

When did the prophetic “seventy weeks” actually begin?

As to the beginning of the 70 weeks, Nehemiah was granted permission by King Artaxerxes of Persia, in the 20th year of his rule, in the month of Nisan, to rebuild the wall and the city of Jerusalem. (Ne 2:1, 5, 7, 8) In his calculations as to the reign of Artaxerxes, Nehemiah apparently used a calendar year that began with the month Tishri (September-October), as does the Jews’ present civil calendar, and ended with the month Elul (August-September) as the 12th month. Whether this was his own reckoning or the manner of reckoning employed for certain purposes in Persia is not known.

*** w02 3/1 p. 4 A Whole World Destroyed! ***

Was an Ancient World Really Destroyed?

Such an awesome catastrophe, if it really happened, would never have been completely forgotten. Hence, in many nations there are reminders of that destruction. Consider, for example, the precise date recorded in the Scriptures. The second month of the ancient calendar ran from what we now call mid-October to mid-November. So the 17th day corresponds approximately to the first of November. It may not be a coincidence, then, that in many lands, festivals for the dead are celebrated at that time of year.

*** w65 10/15 p. 630 A Powerful Identification of the Messiah ***

Now, as to the start of Daniel’s time prophecy in Daniel 9:24-27, Nehemiah leaves no doubt. His calendar year began with the month Tishri (September/October, just as the Jews’ civil calendar today) and ended with the month Elul (August/ September) as the twelfth month

*** w75 10/1 p. 579 The End of 6,000 Years of Man-Rule Approaches—What Has Been Accomplished? ***

SINCE a new Jewish lunar year began in September 1975 a significant point in human history was reached. What was that? According to the Bible’s count of time, mankind then completed 6,000 years of existence on earth. Yes, the first man Adam, if he had chosen to remain obedient under God’s rulership, would have still been alive and 6,000 years old in September of this year.

*** w68 8/15 p. 499 par. 29 Why Are You Looking Forward to 1975? ***

After much of the mathematics and genealogies, really, of what benefit is this information to us today? Is it not all dead history, as uninteresting and profitless as walking through a cemetery copying old dates off tombstones? After all, why should we be any more interested in the date of Adam’s creation than in the birth of King Tut? Well, for one thing, if 4,026 is added to 1,968 (allowing for the lack of a zero year between C.E. and B.C.E.) one gets a total of 5,993 years, come this autumn, since Adam’s creation. That means, in the fall of the year 1975, a little over seven years from now (and not in 1997 as would be the case if Ussher’s figures were correct), it will be 6,000 years since the creation of Adam, the father of all mankind!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

2014 might actually start some JWS thinking about many of the entailing doctrines

the WTS has produced over the years.

Lets see 100 years since 1914 and nothing has happened as the WTS professed for decades and decades ???

A religious organization like this has to twist and embellish facts to keep their mentally enslaved members at bay.

Overlapping generation indeed.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Thank you Blondie for pointing out the October 1st year end detail, however, rather than me suggesting something will happen a hundred years after 1914 on a certain day, I am really pointing out that it is a very significant year, being that 1914 was at one time the date the end was supposed to happen and signified the "closeness" of the end of "this system of things".

The fact that over the years, the GB droned on about 1914 constantly, and now this appears to be fading? Is this correct? If so, it is a very stark indicator of the changing doctrines of the Watchtower and how easily the shifting sands of their teachings are accepted by Witnesses, in a kind of phenomena of brainwashing, which slowly changes over time without question.

• blondie
    blondie

You have a point. The WTS made the date 1925 almost disappear. Even with my jw background to the 1920's, nothing was ever mentioned by my family. But the WTS has begun using `1914 as only a beginning date; they unhinged 1984 and 1994 with the 1995 change in doctrine and the aging of the adult jw population alive in 1975. The WTS did back off the buildup to 1975 starting in the beginning of that year without a mention by that fall. Some jws were alive from the 1925 fiasco and without evidence that 1975 would turn out, they started backing off.

But I think the WTS will keep using the fall "scriptural" time clock to give their prophecies the semblance of reality.

• ballistic
    ballistic

A completely different way to look at it; If your national king or queen began ruling 100 years ago, wouldn't you plan some kind of Glorius Celebration. II mean, it's not as if the Witnesses are against all celebrations is it? Such a celebration wouldn't have a pagan origin would it.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Soon the GB will say that "evidently" Jesus' coronation ceremony began in 1914. As in ancient times, it may last a few "days." When was he actually crowned as King? We can't say... Still the END is nearer than when we first learned " The Truth."

DD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit