Any PROFESSIONAL musicians out there?

by Voices 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Voices
    Voices

I'm not trying to bribe you into a record contract or anything. I am trying to just get info from you...

My music is great! ... I do believe I have talent. And that's saying a lot from a guy that hates himself and all the crap that jw's have engrained in his little head.

My question is......when you get done making your music, do you have someone come in and EQ it? and THEN master it? ...cause I can't see myself learning how to eq music. I JUST have the HARDEST time. Not to mention that i'm not even sure WHAT i'm suppose to be doing when equing, except 'balance fequencies' and i'm like, wait, I can 'balance each individual virtual instrument into the whole? or leave it to be the way it is, and then balance it into OTHER instruments? or both? or huh? how? who? what?' I also have a hearing problem on my left side (deaf since 5 years old). So that DEFINATELY creates problems.

Trying to get amusic video, T shirts, posters, hats, website, professional photography, facebook, myspace, youtube page and everything else started by myself...I JUST don't have the TIME to learn how to eq anymore. Now this is a plan to try to 'make it on my own' without a record company, but i'm thinking that If i just 'by chance' somehow magically get NOTICED, i'm hoping there's going to be SOME guy that's going to EQ for me. How does it work for you?

*by the way, I work with electronic music and viritual instruments*

Me

p.s. by the way this is my previous song: http://youtu.be/xjqT4wvC-ic

=P

• prologos
    prologos

try David Splaine.

• Voices
    Voices

who is that? it looks like a real estate agent according to google. Is that a jw.net member? artist? let me know! =)_

<Me

• krejames
    krejames

Electronic music is a pain when it comes to eq-ing. I feel your pain. Eq-ing is just about making space in the audio spectrum for each sound - so it's important to take away the frequencies using space but not audible when playing back your track. Get a spectrum analyser eq plug in which will show you in graphical terms where the frequencies are. You can achieve a lot just by cutting the bass frequencies on everything except the kick and the bass. You'll get there. There are some good video tutorials.

I would also recommend that you get a professional to master your final mix.

PM me if you want to talk music in more detail

• mind blown
    mind blown

Doesn't happen that way.....UNLESS YOUR "AMAZING" AND STAND OUT FROM THE CROWD.....maybe you'll get lucky and someone will produce you.

Since you're tired of learning.....hire someone to mix and master .....first interview them.....take your music.....let them tell you what ideas they can come up with mixing......layering, echos, adding other instruments......eq.....etc........

I've had friends or band mates mix and master.

Mixing will make or break your music.

• krejames
    krejames

@Mind Blown - agreed. EQ-ing/mixing is intrinsic to electronic music creation in particular. Once you "get" it you will do it automatically during the recording process.

• hoser
    hoser

Brian Wilson is deaf one ear and suffers mental illness but produced some amazing music.

if you do your own tracking you can usually find an upstart studio that will take them in and do a decent mix for you. Once that is done a mastering studio will master the mix.

• James Brown
    James Brown

I have been a professional musician all my life, if being a professional means gettng paid to play and sing

for people.

I have always made money playing in bars and restaurants and places on the beach.

I am not aware of any place for the kind of music you play in a money making situation.

You say your a DJ, I don't know anything about that except the DJ's I have heard sound like you.

Dj's seem to make money in clubs that are too cheap to hire musicians.

I'm not young but it seems like young people talk about going to clubs and listening to the kind of music you make.

My first advice to you is you don't need a musician, You need a fellow DJ, technichian, or audiophile.

Or maybe another confused person who thinks they are a musician.

Having said that I don't want to crush your fragile ego, you have talent at what you do, tying loops together

and pushing buttons.

I dont see you making money in any format that I have made money in as a musician.

In this day and age, working musicians make recordings/ cd's and then play gigs in front of people most likely

in a bar of some sort and you play covers to get the people to dance and drink beer and then every set you

slide one of your songs in and then try to sell your CD for 10$ tell them its better than a t shirt and last longer.

If you don't care enough to mix your music, I doubt your going to find someone who is anygood to do it for you.

So far all you have shown is you are a mixer/ button pusher, you havent shown us any talent, We havent heard

you sing or play an instrument. Playing an instrument would make you a musician.

To specificaly answer your question living to 61 years of age and having been in the music business since 12,

you have to listen to your music yourself and make it sound like you want it to sound

And when you get it to sound like you want it to sound, if enough other people like the way it sounds

and you can get the energy up to go out and tour your but off and do all the thing other successful musicians

do, you may have a hit.

Music is a work in progress, you can release your songs and remix them as many times as you want as your audience

grows and your ears and taste change.

My awareness of the music industry in the new millenium is a great many people are succesfull on their own without

record companies. Record companies just rob people. But to get with the big record companies you are going to

have to display more energy and talent than your post and music link lets on.

If you put out several cd's on your own and were successful you may get the attention of a record company

to rip off some of your profits and increase your distribution.

Your music can be sold and marketed on the internet you dont need a record company for that.

If this is your dream keep at it. The last man standing is the one that makes it to the top.

Sorry if this didnt format with internet explorer or google Chrome.

• James Brown
    James Brown

Listen to one track at a time and get the track to sound like you want it.

Get your drum to sound the way you want it,

Same with your percussion,

and all the other voices.

Usually the eq will be in the best spot on the consel.

What do you record with. I use mixcraft 6 with a dell computer.

I also have pro tools which is the industry standard.

Mixcraft 6 cost about 100$ and too me is much more user friendly if you know how to work

with a personal computer and windows

And mixcraft 6 has more bells and whistles than pro-tools.

If you are a dj you need to set your speakers up

and tweak your song one track at a time.

But I think the eq should be right there to begin with.

And you might only tweak it to suit the room and the accoustics of where you are playing.

It doesnt sound like you have 7 or 8 tracks at most of a 4 minute song thats 8 listenings

x 4 = 32 minutes to adjust your eq from what you dont like to what you like.

But mixing for the club wont be the same as mixing for your car or home.

Thats why the standard eq settings are a good place to start or end up.

If you are making your music with a keyboard for example a yamaha listen to your drum track on the keyboard

then put it in your recorder and tweak it until it sounds like it does on your keyboard.

If you dont like the way it sounded on your keyboard to begin with than you are using the wrong sound or sample.

• James Brown
    James Brown

There is a saying in the music business.

You dont want to be polishing turds.

If it doesnt sound right to begin with, you might be polishing a turd.

I'm not saying your song sound like a turd that is up to you and your fans to decide.

It sounds ok to me for what it is.

I'm just saying if the sound your recording doesnt sound right to begin with find the sound

you want then you don't have to polish it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit