Can anyone explain love?

by mrhhome 24 Replies latest jw friends

• mrhhome
    mrhhome

We have had a variety of theist vs atheist debates on this forum. Usually, it devolves (or evolves?) into a debate on what can or cannot be proven.

So let's step back a second. Hypothethically, Christians worship a God of love. The great commandmant is "Love God. Love your neighbor." If we want to understand God, shouldn't we be trying to understand "love"?

What is it? Why does it exist?

• mrhhome
    mrhhome

BTW...I've put down quite a bit of wine over Thanksgiving dinner. Indulge my sentimental mood.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

It's a very complicated subject. There are so many different kinds of love. I cannot define it, but I know it when I see it.

I have been lucky to marry the love of my life. I met my love in high school. We ate lunch together every day for two years. But I wouldn't date him, I was a new convert to the JWs. I knew my parents would never accept it and I wanted to marry a JW and live that life, but I was tempted though. I finally decided we needed to not see each other anymore. He accepted it, he said he knew that I was going to say that. In my yearbook he write that " maybe in some other time and place we will get to know each other. His last gift was a song, a 45 record of Taxi, by Harry Chapin. It was about a taxi driver who picks up an old girlfriend many years later.

So, twenty eight years later I ended up by chance on Classmates.com. I looked for my friend, I still remembered him, he wasn't listed, but I left my email, thinking, maybe? Maybe he remembered me, we would run off and get married. Right, like that would happen, he was probably married with ten kids. Two days later he went there looking for me. Imagine my surprise when I got his email. I immediately fell head over heals in love. It was crazy, romantic and scary. But it was love. I was 45 and had never been in love, isn't that crazy? I did not know what it felt like, though I had been married.

We have been together for fourteen years this month. This is love. This wonderful, crazy guy never gave up on the idea that we could be together. I don't know if he saw the future or created it, it doesn't matter, he kept believing in the possibility. Never say never.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Love varies with time and between people. It can feel intoxicanting or comforting or peaceful or __________. It is wonderful to be in love.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Ayn Rand said love is appreciation.

I appreciate all you great posting friends on JWN - a LOT! ♥

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

LisaRose wow what a fantastic story. Thanks for sharing

• mrhhome
    mrhhome

LisaRose. Good story.

• KiddingMe
    KiddingMe

LisaRose, WOW, I have tears reading your story. How amazing, thanks for sharing!

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Its a complex hormone response based on attraction, feeling of security and 'positive' memories built on input from the senses.

Animals have similar responses and attachments, its just a word we humans have ascribed to that feeling. Its all about biology, procreation and protecting the preservation of the genes, its a very selfish response, though beautiful in its own right. I needs to be, the species wouldnt survive without it.

People prefer the fairy dust version of life, but the reality is what it is and to me, no less fantastic and awe inspiring.The fact that chemical molecules can evoke such feelings, made of atoms found in stars.... Is immense.

Drugs such as LSD etc replicate these sensations, many drugs induce this endorphin rush..

• tornapart
    tornapart

LisaRose... what a wonderful story!! That's beautiful! True love conquers all!

Another love story. (It's another year on since this!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dQeHyfIueE

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit