While you were a JW, what did you say when people ask you how was your Thanksgiving and Christmas?

by Iamallcool 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Iamallcool
  • NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

Thank you very much and enjoy your holiday.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

As an Australian I never had thanksgiving, but with Christmas I'd just say, "We just had a quiet one at home." and it was good enough. I think a lot of people out there would like a 'quiet one at home' too but have to run around and visit a zillion relatives.

• Pallbearer
    Pallbearer

The question was: "While you were a JW, what did you say when people ask you how was your Thanksgiving and Christmas?"

I would simply tell them the truth ... that it was a pain in the ass.

• laverite
    laverite

I would deflect and say something like 'Oh it was so nice to have a couple of days off to relax a bit!'

• not bitter
    not bitter

''I don't celebrate Christmas. Its against my religion''

then I'd hang my head with embarrassment. I was a child

• KateWild
    KateWild

We always visit family because the kids are off, so as a JW I used to tell them what we did, shows, trips, choclate factory, museums, whatever fun we had. Much the same as I will this year, our first one out.

My parents have never had a Christmas tree, they are Jews. But my daughter said she might put a small one in her bedroom this year.

Kate xx

• designs
    designs

Festivus For The Rest Of Us

We actually had a great time during the Holidays with renting a cabin for lots of friends and planned skiing trips.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I used to take my kids to Disneyland or anther amusement park. No lines and at least we did something fun instead of sitting around *not* celebrating something.

• blondie
    blondie

I would say, "thank you, and you have a good day too."

WTS "suggestions" (do you think jws have to be reminded to be tactful? Yes!)

*** km 12/90 p. 8 par. 4 Presenting the Good News—On Holidays ***

We do not share in worldly religious celebrations, and we do not exchange traditional holiday greetings. Therefore, tact is needed in how we react to such greetings. There is no need to make an issue of the greeting, but in most cases we can simply thank the householder for his good wishes. If people inquire about our belief, we can assure them that we honor Christ Jesus, since that is required of those who honor God. (John 5:23) However, many holiday customs do not honor either Christ or God. If individuals desire more information at that time or later, we can share with them the material in the Reasoning book on pages 176-8 and 180.

*** km 12/74 p. 2 Your Service Meetings ***

When persons wish you “Merry Christmas” or the like, there is no need to get into a discussion of the origin of Christmas. Rather, simply acknowledge their well-meant greeting with a friendly smile and a “thank you” as you go on to the next door. Our goal is to win hearts and we can best do that in the house-to-house work by talking about the blessings of God’s kingdom wherever possible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit