Another problem for JW apologists

by Jeffro 224 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The WTS. couldn't market and commercialize Jesus return according to bible scripture because it says his return

would be a visible one.

If you examine carefully how the WTS. got this date (1914) in the first place Fisherman you'd see the corruption

and stupidity of it and the reason no other religious organization has proclaimed anything of 1914.

To arrive at this date, the Witnesses take the account in Daniel 4 and apply a 360 day year for each of the seven "times" for a total of 2520 years. They add this date to 607 B.C., their date for the fall of Jerusalem under Nebuchadnezzar, and arrive at 1914 A.D., the date when Jesus supposedly returned invisibly in the heavens (The Truth Shall Make You Free, p. 300), the "appointed time of the nations" ended (The Time is at Hand, page 79), and the beginning of the end of the world commenced (Watchtower 11/15/50, page 438). Please consider the following quote.

"This marked time began in the year 1914 (A.D.). In that important year the 'appointed times of the nations,' 2,520 years long, ran out. If we measure back that many years from 1914 we come to the ancient date of 607 B.C. That year was marked for the overthrow of the earthly "throne of Jehovah" and for the destruction of the throne city of Jerusalem and its sanctuary and for the total desolation of the land of the kingdom of Judah." (From the Book, "Your Will," 1958, pp. 309-310, Watchtower CD, emphasis added).

The highlight of this stupidity can be seen by the WTS. using a 360 day Hebraic lunar year and transposing

it into are modern day 365 1/4 Gregorian day solar year system.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

scholar:

I would not sell the average person short because the Bible was not written for the intellectuals or the wise but rather for the average Joe who is also humble at heart.

Once again, 'scholar' parrots Watch Tower Society drivel (though this particular piece of drivel is common to many religious groups). Members of religious sects such as 'scholar' do not seek to learn 'Bible truth' for themselves, but prefer to be spoonfed whatever their leaders provide. Whilst it's certainly true that tools exist that enable anyone with a reasonable education to consider the original text, the waffle about 'humility' is just religious rhetoric.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Scholar you did not see what I wrote, but no problem.

Let me cut to the chase here. It is about trust.

We trust the Bible translators. We trust those that formulate archeaological conclusions. We trust those that are teaching us the Bible.

There is more than one line of evidence that is the basis of JW faith. The most striking is their professed comunion with God which is a very personal relationship. However, "preaching" the generation teaching involves reason and a personal relationship with God has to be experienced. It cannot be proved to others. It is very personal. Can the average JW or prospective JW honestly choose between versions of choronology? The choice is based on trust not on interpretation of facts.

With that said,; is the WTS chronology valid or not? It is to the JWS and it is not to others. So we have to wait and see.

*************************************************************************************************************

"DISCLAIMER:”

"PLEASE READ:"

"This Notice shall apply retroactively to all my posts"

"The information posted here is not necessarily my view, but may be posted as if it were hypothetically my view, or the hypothetical view or view or alleged view, of a group, and, does not necessarily represent the views of that group"

“I would like to view this Forum as truth finding, and not as an arena for ridiculing or belittling other members for the beliefs that they like, no matter how ridiculous those beliefs have been shown to be, or believed or assumed to be, addressing only such views believed or shown to be nonsense, and not the member for believing such beliefs that are believed or shown to be or have been shown to be ridiculous, foolish or nonsense."

Bottom Line,

Fish

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Fisherman says ...... I would like to view this Forum as truth finding, and not as an arena for ridiculing or belittling other members for the beliefs that they like, no matter how ridiculous those beliefs have been shown to be,

On the contrary the evidence and facts presented on this forum as well as other clearly refutes doctrines, proclamations and

teaching expressed by the WTS. / Jehovah's Witnesses.

Everything should be measured on accumulation of facts and evidence to draw a final and truthful conclusion.

Emotive theory draw out of weak information or evidence should be taken as such and that is exactly how the

amateurish theologians of the WTS. have come to their own conclusions concerning dates and specific years.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

I have updated my timeline to include the '65 years for Ephraim' of Isaiah 7:8. It is now available here and the old copy has been removed.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

... stupidity ... using a 360 day Hebraic lunar year and transposing it into are modern day 365 1/4 Gregorian day solar year system.

A lunar year is not 360 days long. A lunar year is 12 x 29.5 = 354 days long or 13 x 29.5 = 383/384 days long if a leap year. The Hebrews used a luni-solar year system. The 360 day year is a schematic year of 12 x 30, but this excludes the 2 equinox and 2 solstice days which would make it 364 days long.

The argument above is, unfortunately, a bogus one. Long ago I used to think it a great argument and repeated it a few times until it was pointed out that it was head-slappingly incorrect (thanks Leolaia) :-)

• scholar
    scholar

Jeffro

Post 4285

Bully for you for you need to update not but that but also the seventy years, I have my daughter and grandkids over Xmas but will respond to those posts that I have missed when they leave mid this week.

scholar JW

• garyneal
    garyneal

In the end, I find the Watchtower's defense of 607 bce laughable since it is obvious that it is promoted to support 1914. That year is becoming more irrelevant with each passing year.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

scholiar:

Bully for you for you need to update not but that but also the seventy years, I have my daughter and grandkids over Xmas but will respond to those posts that I have missed when they leave mid this week.

Huh? I already have the seventy years correct. No changes are necessary.

Merry Christmas, scholar.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

One day 1914 will be dropped when its obvious that the WTS cant hold on to it anymore even with the supposed

overlapping generation which doesn't really exist in truthful bible interpretation.

The GB today more or less covered their asses for awhile and its not hard for them to convince dates or specific years

toward their misinformation, look what the WTS. did to 1975.

The transferring of old light verse new light is easily done anyways, they have the majority of their devoted members

brainwashed and if one of them does get overtly opinionated about certain doctrines they can be duly muzzled (DFed)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit