Another problem for JW apologists

by Jeffro 224 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

scholar:

Therefore, Tetley's choice of a different methodology in using the LXX rather than the Masoretic text demonstrates a different methodology to that of other chronologists such as Thiele. We do agree with her on this but it would be interesting to see how she lays out her approach in handling the data. I have not told you many times that chronology is about methodology and interpretation whic is confirmed by Rodger Young and Christine Mary Tetley.

Is it 'Opposite Day' in the world of 'scholar' or something?? Or is lying just an automatic compulsion now? Watch Tower Society chronology does not agree with the differences found in LXX, and you have bleated about your 'methodology' many times.

And you're still misusing the word methodology, which actually includes yours methods of interpretation.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

scholiar:

Both renderings of Jeremiah 29:10 in the respective NWT editions are sound and in agreement, the 1984 edition's rendering of this verse is more accurate technically with the recent edition being more readable. Our interpretation of this verse an dthe entire chapter is also sound because this prophecy was addressed to all of the exiles in Babylon awaiting the expiration of the foreordained period of seventy years thus after the official decree of release, off they go home.

You haven't dealt with the obvious error in the JW interpretation that I already outlined. As usual, you can't actually quote parts and reason on what the text actually says. Instead, you make baseless claims about Watch Tower Society dogma. Pathetic.

So do you know the population of Jerusalem at the time of its Fall? Where was Zedekiah at that time?

Those are stupid rhetorical questions. The Bible presents the figures for the number of people deported in each exile. Either you believe those numbers or you don't. But if you don't, then there's little point relying on the Bible anyway. (Although JW dogma contradicts the Bible anyway, so that probably isn't much of a problem for you.)

Was he not in Jerusalem so how can you say then that the second deporatation was less than the first when the city was still there and the land was still populated.

We've already covered the fact that you're obviously not very good at arithmetic. And the land was still populated after Jerusalem's destruction. In fact, parts of Judea remained populated throughout the entire period, as indicated by Ephraim Stern (who the Watch Tower Society saw fit to misquote in the Awake! of June 2012).

Common sense and the Bible tells you that there was to a far greater Exile in the wings ten years after the first deporation which was a minor exile.

Nothing in Jeremiah's letter sent to exiles already in Babylon in 594BCE (614BCE in Watch Tower Society chronology) alludes to a period that would begin later. There is no reason at all to conclude that the recipients of that letter would assume that '70 years' referred to some future exile.

You have not proved that there was no exile at all with regards to the seventy years because the seventy years by any natural definition was an exile because it began with all of the constituents that make up a exile. The fact of punishment is the exile, the fact of servitude and deporation is an exile , the fact that the Jews were forced off the land is an exile . All of these things were a punishment for their making Nebuchadnezzer unhappy and their apostasy from true worship and for not observing the sabbaths. They were a very naughty nation.

Your arguments are getting even more tenuous. No one ever said that there wasn't a Jewish exile. That would be stupid. But the Bible does not say there was a 70 year exile. The Bible very clearly indicates that exile was a punishment for nations that refused to serve Babylon. Jeremiah 27:6-11 isn't going to disappear, no matter how much you close your eyes and pretend it's not there. You might also like to note verse 17 of the same chapter: "Serve the king of Babylon and keep on living. Why should this city become a devastated place?" It explicitly states that serving Babylon was a way to avoid devastation.

The verse in Against Apion is problematic and can be explained. The other verses in the Antiquities clearly presents the seventy years as a period similar to the view that we have adopted so Josephus and I are on the same page. I have explained the fifty years on this forum on many occasions.

Once again, the facts show you to be a liar. Josephus indicates that Jerusalem was desolate during the period of 70 years, but that doesn't mean for the entire period. You continue to ignore the 182.5-year period Josephus indicates (in Antiquities) from the fall of Israel until the arrival of Cyrus. In JW dogma, that period is about 200 years. However, my chart readily shows that the period Josephus indicates is spot on.

Your explanation of the text in Leviticus as quoted in 2 Chronicles is plain 'gobblygook' or plain waffle. Ezra quotes Jeremiah and Jeremiah quotes Leviticus which sets out the laws concerning sabbaths and the land and the consequences of what would happen if the Laws were not observed. All of these passages are linked together to prove that the seventyh years was also about the land as well as the nation.

Your lies are getting even more blatant, and even delusional. Jeremiah uses the word "sabbath" seven times. They are all in Jeremiah chapter 17, none are in reference to years of sabbath rest, and none quote from Leviticus chapters 25-26. The parenthetical remark about sabbaths at 2 Chronicles 36:21 is a direct quote from Leviticus, as I have already indicated.

The land paying off its sabbaths is not the same thing as the nations serving Babylon but these events all fell within the same time frame running concurrently for the seventy years proved to be a period servitude-exile -desolation-punishment-foreign nations in servitude along with Judah.

Again, the Bible explicitly indicates that the 70 years was a period during which all the nations would serve Babylon, and that exile was a punishment for nations that refused to serve Babylon.

If you choose to split everything up then please provide a detailed analysis of all of the circumstances for all of the nations where 70 years of whatever was fulfilled. This has never been done . Are you up for it?

I'll think about it after you provide a table of continuous reigns of Neo-Babylonian kings that is compatible with Watch Tower Society chronology.

True, submission to Babylon voluntarily could have avoided punishment and exile but that simply did not happen so they suffered the consequences for seventy years. They were very naughty.

Jeremiah 25 is set in 605BCE (625BCE in Watch Tower Society chronology), at which point the 70 years was already indicated to be unavoidable. (In fact, the seventy years of nations serving Babylon had already begun, but Jeremiah warned of the consequential calamity that would would go "from nation to nation" at different times for different nations). However, Jeremiah 27 indicates that during the reign of Zedekiah (after 597BCE [or 617BCE in JW-land]), it was still not too late for those in Jerusalem to avoid exile, which they could do by serving Babylon. You continue to simply ignore Jeremiah 27. I'm beginning to think you might have torn it out of your Bible.

I believe that our interpretation of the biblical text regarding the seventy years in Jeremiah 29:10 is sound and I am more than happy with the alternative 'for Babylon' as it also can be fully accommodated with our interpretation as I have explained in the past on this forum.

I've already shown that the Watch Tower Society's interpretation cannot be reconciled with the actual context of Jeremiah chapters 27-29, as well as the broader context of the rest of Jeremiah. It's quite amusing that you keep saying 'our chronology', even though if the Watch Tower Society changed it tomorrow, you would immediately switch to whatever your idol preaches.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

You forgot to post the other two fish which makes up three: Thiele-Tetley-Scholar

What are you babbling about? They don't think the first major exile occurred in 617 BCE and, therefore, they don't have to flap around the NWT's 70 years 'at' Babylon rendering in Jer. 29:10 - you do!

And don't you equate these genuine Bible scholars with your blustering pseudo-scholarship! Tsk, tsk, Neil.

• scholar
    scholar

Post 3795

Each of us has different views of methodology and interpretation as is common to all chronologists. In short, we are all in the same boat trying to catch the same fish!!!! LOL

scholar JW

• scholar
    scholar

Jeffro

Post 4237

Tetley as with Thiele have their own specific methodology in developing a chronology for the Divided Monarchy, We too have our own specific methodology which differs from Tetley and Thiele and that is why the chronologies differ. That is the point of agrrement: that her methodology is different-she has chosen to be different. What is wrong with you for you seem to struggle with the concept of methodology despite the fact that I have tried to bring it to the fore on many occasions.

scholar JW

• scholar
    scholar

Jeffro

Post 4238

There is no obvious error in our interpretation of this verse and the entire chapter and the entire book of Jeremiah. You have your interpretation of matters and we have ours so let us agree to disagree.

When obvious questions are put to you then you run and hide only shaping when it suits you. It is simply a joke to argue that the first deportation was a greater Exile to that of the second deportation when the Monarchy had not yet been removed and Jerusalem was a going concern.

Have you read Ephraim Stern's article? Do you have it to hand? Are you up to date with the latest findings of archaeology for Judah during the Neo-Babylonian Period? The WT article on this subject was correct in quoting Stern and if memory serves me coreetly there was another source quoted that you fail to mention. The Bible says that Judah was emptied of its population 'without an inhabitant' so that is good enough for me so if you are so pedantic about Jeremiah then how about being faithful in connection with these many clear statements about the future state of the land of Judah.

If you agree that there was a Jewish Exile then please describe how many if more than one and the time period for such an Exile/s? I have never said that the Bible says that there was a seventy year exile for it does not in using that statement. What I have and do say that the Bible when it describes the seventy years its description is of Exile along with servitude and desolation in keeping with the expanation of all the other 'seventy year texts and the historical circumstances. In short, the Bible implicitly means Exile.

You are being 'fast and loose' with Josephus for it galls you to admit that Josephus and WT are on the same page when it comes to the seventy years and you should be honest and leave it at that.

Don't you think that Jeremiah was able to source Leviticus in reference to land paying off its sabbaths if in fact Ezra did not directly quote Leviticus. What we do know that Ezra directly quoted Jeremiah who quoted Leviticus or Ezra quoted both of them . What does it matter? The fact of the matter is that both Ezra and Jeremiah were concerned about the land paying offits sabbaths and it did over the period of seventy years. All that you seem able to do is start small brush fires everywhere which are simply minor distractions so that you can bash WT chronology and publicize your pretty charts and website.

Its all huffing and puffing with you with smoke and mirrors.

Yes I agree that the seventy years was a period wherein the bible explicitly states that all of the nations would serve Babylon and that the Exile was a punishment that refused to serve Babylon. However, you miss the obvious and explicit fact that the Bible also in these very same verse states explicitly that Judah would be devastated also for seventy years. Hence, one can easily note that the seventy years was a period of Exile-Servitude-Desolation. What the Bible does not say explicitly as how the nations apart from Judah were punished, there are no specific details nor specific timeframe for any other nation apart from Judah. Isaiah did make reference to Tyre in respect of a seventy year period but its actuality in history is not fully expalined in the context of a seventy year period.

Constructing a chronology for Neo-Babylonian Period that is compatible with WT chronology is possible but according to Furuli's research it would be somewhat problematic so as the saying goes:'Houston, We have a problem'.

If you argue that from 605 BCE the seventy years had already commence which constituted by your definition 'serving Babylon' then what would be th point of Jeremiah as recorded in chapter 27 pleading the Jews to avoid punishment by serving Babylon when in fact they were already in servitude so their punishment had already begun? This does not make sense at all for it is obvious that a far greater punishment with far greater consequences such as exile, deportation awaited them.

Your pleadings about your interpetations being this or that is simply gibberish because I can simply reply in kind.

scholar JW

• scholar
    scholar

AnnOMaly

Post 3795

It is you and Jeffro that are on the hook, well and truly caught because you cannot expalin away the fact that there was an interregnum or gap of some years prior to Hoshea's official reign as agreed by several chronologists including Christine Tetley.

scholar JW

• scholar
    scholar

Jeffro

Post 4236

If you are going to have any credibility for your work in chronology you should have a copy of Tetley or at least intend to get one. By the way have you got and read Thiele for I assume that you have if not then the former statement applies. If you have neither books then you have no business with chronology for your opinions will remain foolish and amateurish.

If you have not read Tetley then you cannot say in what way or manner she does not support WT chronology. I would anticipate that she does not but I would not be surprised because of her respect for the Bible that we would be be on the same page in some areas such as the interregnum for the reign of Hoshea.

If you have not read Tetley then you cannot make any relevant comment on her book or as to whether she did or did not traet the subject of 'vassalage' respecting the reigns of the Divided Monarchy.

We simply have in in common the fact that our research is controversial amongst scholars. That is all.

You say that she supports 587 BCE but no doubt it would be interesting to read how she discusses the 586/587 controversy along with the date for the Fall of Samaria and of course whether she discusses the biblical 'seventy years'.

scholar JW

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

scholiar:

If you are going to have any credibility for your work in chronology you should have a copy of Tetley or at least intend to get one.

It's amusing how pseudo-scholar includes intending to get a copy of the book in his made-up 'requirements' because he doesn't actually have a copy either.

By the way have you got and read Thiele for I assume that you have if not then the former statement applies. If you have neither books then you have no business with chronology for your opinions will remain foolish and amateurish.

Idiot. You've previously claimed my work is based on Thiele but you also claim I'm not familiar with it. Make up your mind. As it happens, I have always stated that the chronology I have provided is consistent with the Bible (the alleged basis for JW doctrines). For that purpose, it is not necessary to ensure correlation with other scholars who present details not consistent with the Bible. I do not claim that those scholars are wrong, but if they are right and do not agree with the Bible, then the Bible would be wrong, making JW chronology entirely irrelevant anyway.

If you have not read Tetley then you cannot say in what way or manner she does not support WT chronology. I would anticipate that she does not but I would not be surprised because of her respect for the Bible that we would be be on the same page in some areas such as the interregnum for the reign of Hoshea.
    If you have not read Tetley then you cannot make any relevant comment on her book or as to whether she did or did not traet the subject of 'vassalage' respecting the reigns of the Divided Monarchy.

As I have already told you, I've read portions of the book relevant to Hoshea that are available on Google Books. Tetley most certainly does not support WT chronology, as I have already specified. Also, you're a hypocrite, because you were the one to start making comments about her book, which you have not read.

We simply have in in common the fact that our research is controversial amongst scholars. That is all.

Wrong. 'You' (actually, the Watch Tower Society, not 'you', its minion) assert a ridiculous chronology in order to attempt to prop up superstitious numerology. This is not at all the case with most scholars.

You say that she supports 587 BCE but no doubt it would be interesting to read how she discusses the 586/587 controversy along with the date for the Fall of Samaria and of course whether she discusses the biblical 'seventy years'.

I have already shown very clearly that the biblical 'seventy years' is not a period of exile.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

scholiar:

Tetley as with Thiele have their own specific methodology in developing a chronology for the Divided Monarchy, We too have our own specific methodology which differs from Tetley and Thiele and that is why the chronologies differ. That is the point of agrrement: that her methodology is different-she has chosen to be different. What is wrong with you for you seem to struggle with the concept of methodology despite the fact that I have tried to bring it to the fore on many occasions.

You probably don't realise just how stupid your comments are. The chronology I have provided of the biblical kings is based on my own research of the original texts. So I too have 'dared to be different'. Even worse for you, I've independently arrived at a chronology that is compatible with both the Bible and the secular history of other contemporaneous nations, without even trying. In contrast, the Watch Tower Society has to pitifully claim that Assyrian, Babylonian and Egyptian sources all independently have the same 'errors' because they all disagree with JW numerology in the same places.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit