For those who left: Are you better persons now?

by caballoSentado 26 Replies latest jw friends

• terafera
    terafera
    Do you feel that you are better individuals now?...Do people around know the difference? Do you help people in need?.

I am a much happier, less paranoid, kinder person now. Everyone that knew me back as a jw has shunned me, so I cant get much feedback from them. I DO know that I can maintain friendships now, something that was hard when I was a Witness. I dont distrust people anymore... too many positive things to even mention.

Do I help people? Hmm... I volunteer about 25+ hours a week at an elementary school and an animal shelter. I had no time to do this when I was a jw. How many jw's do you know that volunteer? I havent met one. And dont say field service is volunteering!!!!!

• Solace
    Solace

Better person?
    I dont think so. A little smarter maybe.
    I also carry a heavier load knowing that my J.W. family continues to be manipulated by the org. If I totally expose all that I know, I risk losing my family.

• one
    one

true true true

carmel said:

"Dubs think they are happy and of high moral rectitude, above everyone else (ie the worldly) when in fact I've found the reverse to be true.

carmel"

I "found" the same thing.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

I have always felt good about who and what I am and can say with all sincerety, that being free of religious bondage has allowed me to become carefree and happy to a degree that I thought was never attainable in my live.
    I feel I am more broadminded and have become more caring and less inhibited. My hubby says JWs live in caccoons and are so brainwashed that its almost unbelieveable. He has been the best thing in my life and the second best thing is I have now re-established a long lost friendship that had us seperated for seven years gratis the WTBS. Life has its ups and downs but as long as I have breathe I will always know that I made the best decsion in leaving the organization, that suppresses, represses,depresses,every aspect of ones life. I have FREEDOM, to make my own choices and if they are mistakes so what.
    I will travel the avenue of life as a wiser kinder and compassionate person and anyone can travel this road with me.

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

Absolutely!! I know that I am definitely a better person.
    As a Witness, I never really fit in. I am a free spirited person, and always felt crushed and boxed in. I tended to see things in black and white, as I was raised as a Witness. And under the guise of supporting the tennants of the religion, many times over the years I was very judgmental. I always had a big heart, but sometimes it seemed to have the mercy and compassion squeezed right out of it.
    Recently a very dear friend of mine whom I had the dubious honor of introducing to the Witnesses, has come back into my life. She unfortunately is still somewhat active, but decided that our relationship was more important to her than following some rules. She has definitely noticed the difference in me. I am not a nervous wreck anymore, and even when asked, I NEVER tell her what to do, when I was a Witness I did regularly.
    Plus she knows how incredibly happy I am with my husband, who is not a Witness. Even though to all appearances I disobeyed all the rules, albiet unspoken about marrying out of the Lord.
    Also it is so much easier for me to give free reign to my compulsion to reach out and help others. Now I have time to do it!!
    Luvin' life,
    TW

• Deleted
    Deleted

Caballo,

In some ways I feel better and seem better but most of the time about the same. Fortunately, I was one of those jws that had "worldly associates" and I tried to treat people as potential sheep. The one area I feel better about, and I believe it shows, is my attitude toward being judgmental and critical of the small stuff. Sometimes I wonder if I may have gone a bit too far with my liberalism, but we family of 4 are quite happy after nearly 4 years of being out.

Blessed Be

Glen who once was Deleted.

All along the Watchtower,
    Told a pack of lies
    Broken hearts and promises
    Waitin' wastin' time

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Am I a better person?

Most definitely.

I am healthier mentally - no more depression and I have the freedom to think and believe what is right for me and not dictated for me

I am healthier emotionally - I have the freedom to be happy or sad or angry or whatever it is I feel in the moment. I no longer have to pretend to be happy to keep the congregation looking good.

I am healthier physically - since I live in freedom I no longer experience all the stress-related health problems that I did while a JW

I am healthier socially - I now have the freedom to care for others (was reproved for helping a sister who was dying at home instead of going out in service and to meetings) and to be friendly without strings attached (will they study). I am now free to share my compassion and caring without the fear of reprimand.

I am healthier educationally - I was able to go to college and university after I left the borg and now have a career that suits my needs and passions

I am healthier financially because I have the freedom to work when and where I choose without fear of censure.

I am happier in my love life - no one is examining what goes on in my bedroom between me and my husband and my husband never ever pressures me into the kinds of sex I don't want or enjoy (unlike my ex - who was an elder and pressured me into banned and unwanted sex acts)

I am no longer confused, depressed, stress-out, abused, pressured, guilt-ridden, put-upon oe hypocritical. I no longer have to lie about who I am or what I do. I love my life and would not go back for anything

Aspire to inspire before you expire

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit